View Full Version : NL50 (6): raising a tag on R a.i. w/likely same straight

fooz
02-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Villain is a competent tag.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $46
UTG+1: $22.05
CO: $141
Hero: $49.25
SB: $82.15
BB: $51

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($2.25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($6.75, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $4</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($14.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $43.25</font>

Obviously trying to fold out the other Jack. Love it or hate it?

Genz
02-27-2007, 02:51 AM
I don't really like your call on the flop. 2 players still to act. Bad pot odds and mostly a gutshot draw with overs that aren't too live considering the connectedness of the board (especially a J wouldn't be nice to see here).

Well, the river isn't bad. Villain needs to be quite nitty here to put you on QJ exactly and fold a single J. If he is that nitty, a raise to something like 25 would probably be perfectly fine.

Thremp
02-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Preflop is horrid. Flop is horrid. Turn is kinda bad. River is horrid.

Raise preflop and it become a different hand.

Hoffma
02-27-2007, 03:07 AM
I don't like this line much at all.

You don't want up to five guys to see a flop when you're in position. I can see calling preflop in this position with 43s or something, but you've gotta raise with a decent hand on the button here.

I think the flop call is fine (gutshot strengthened slightly by a backdoor draw), but you have to raise the turn when you hit. Make it about 12. You shouldn't approach this situation by thinking, "I need to chase him away to avoid a chop." You should be betting for value, because far more frequently you're up against something much weaker. If you can get it all in here, great. If you bump into QJ (or chop), this is why you should've played differently preflop.