PDA

View Full Version : "Turn a hand into a bluff"

Avocado
02-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Can someone explain me or post a link about the "concept" of turning a hand into a bluff? I've read some posts saying this and I'm not sure if I understood.

Sample hand:

Hero raises JhJc pf, flop TsTc7c, villain bet flop.
Someone said "if you raise you're turning your hand into a bluff".

I don't get this.

Thanks.

RAHZero
02-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Basically it means that you take a hand with showdown value, and you turn it into a hand that's no different than a bluff. To do this, you either bet or raise a hand that:

a. Has some decent chance to win a showdown if you just call or check.
b. Is unlikely to have the bet/raise called by a weaker hand.
c. Is unlikely to fold out a better hand (not as essential).

In your example, I would disagree that you would be turning JJ into a bluff by raising the flop. Lots of draws may call you while you have the best hand, and even some pocket pairs like 88 or 99 that led the flop might call a raise. A better example would be something like QQ on a king-high board. The flop comes K98 with a flush draw, you bet, and are called. The turn is a blank, your opponent checks, and you check behind. The river is another blank, your opponent leads into you for about half the pot. Here, raising would be turning your hand into a bluff. You have a show-downable hand, since villain may well be betting just a nine or a busted draw. However, if you raise, you'll just fold out any weaker hands and get called by the hands that beat you.

Antinome
02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
You have to be careful not to get yourself into a position where you constantly check to avoid turning your hand into a bluff, induce a bluff, and then fold to it.

That is not to say you should always call or always bet out, just that you need to make sure you aren't giving your opponent so much fold equity on top of his real equity that you would actually be better off betting 'to find out where you are at', or calling down OOP with a marginal hand.