PDA

View Full Version : Your line here? Cause I butchered this . . .

yabastid
02-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Villian had been tight 11.5/3.7

nothing else of importance.

This hand has a lot of holes and I'm embarrassed.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $239.25
UTG+1: $113.40
MP1: $87
MP2: $290.10
MP3: $104.15
CO: $109.10
Button: $97.74
SB: $223.38
Hero: $140.35

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
2 folds, MP1 calls $1, 4 folds, SB calls $0.5, Hero checks.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls $3.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($9, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc3333">SB raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $14.

River: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif ($49, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets $45</font>, <font color="#cc3333">SB raises to $125</font>

So 3b/push turn or flat call. Bet river when checked to or just check behind? Oh, and easy river fold?

EMc
02-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Re-raise turn, Pooooosh river..smile.

RIVER IS ANY EASY FOLD? DO YOU NOT LIKE MONEY?
If you think this river is an easy fold then you and poker need to have a 1 on 1 talk and decide if this game is for you.

sourbeaver
02-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm usually happy to 3-bet turn here and hopefully get as close to all-in as possible. The trey might give him a sooted ace straight once in a while, that's the pokah dance.

Iconoclastic
02-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Call Turn. Check behind river.

EMc
02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
This is very, very possibly a set over set situation, in our favor. He popped that turn hard, and I think we are ahead here a lot, so I raise the turn and get the rest in on the river. If he made that play with 99 (unlikely) then ill pay him off, but checking behind is horrible.

quarkncover
02-11-2006, 03:24 PM
3-bet turn. You're only behind 46 and A4. I'm fairly comfortable in saying villain has two pair or a set here. I have no problem getting all the money in every time.

Don't ever check behind here on the river, losing a lot of value.

I call his river c/r every day, if he has 67 I throw up. If he has 46 or A4 so be it.

sourbeaver
02-11-2006, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The goal is making money here, not seeing monsters.

quarkncover
02-11-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed Sourbeaver. This advice is horrible.

Fallen Hero
02-11-2006, 03:47 PM
checking behind on the river? folding the virtual top set to a river check-raise?
How are we ever going to stack anyone in a set vs set situation?

yabastid
02-11-2006, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Re-raise turn, Pooooosh river..smile.

RIVER IS ANY EASY FOLD? DO YOU NOT LIKE MONEY?
If you think this river is an easy fold then you and poker need to have a 1 on 1 talk and decide if this game is for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, sir, I did not fold/nor could I ever fold this without a note because I love money. However, money loves the other guy more than she loves me.

I never expected to see a semibluff turn raise at NL100 but apparently some have it in their repetoire (especially from such a tightie). I would expect this more at NL400 and above, but here I thought I was slowplaying set over set which is why I didn't reraise the turn. I actually think villian played this hand very well (albeit he did get lucky- but that's the point of a semibluff).

I could not dump my 8s here b/c I am not weak tight nor could I ever be. However, a turn push/3b I believe takes this hand down and I don't have to choke back down my own vomit. My turn play is my biggest weakness at the moment and I think this hand is illustrative of that. Villian had 67o.

Fallen Hero
02-11-2006, 03:55 PM
villain played his hand pretty poorly (specially the: turn check-raise, hit your outs, check the river)

yabastid
02-11-2006, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
villain played his hand pretty poorly (specially the: turn check-raise, hit your outs, check the river)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, his river check was pretty bad and then again, apparently not /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

EMc
02-11-2006, 04:21 PM
So techincally this was a bad beat post that you wanted to share in the SSNL forum as opposed to BBV.

quarkncover
02-11-2006, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So techincally this was a bad beat post that you wanted to share in the SSNL forum as opposed to BBV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most posts here tend to be thinly disguised brag or bad beat posts.

sourbeaver
02-11-2006, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that might be a part of the explanation, but OP still had good reasons to post this to get advice, because he did misplay the hand and it ended up making him put the most money in with the worst hand, while he could have done the exact opposite a card earlier.

Iconoclastic
02-11-2006, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The goal is making money here, not seeing monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I'm assuming the read on Villain is very tight is good. I might play it differently if I was there but if Villain is a rock then a check raise will make me slow way down.

yabastid
02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, get off it. This was not a BBP in any way. I misplayed this hand CLEARLY and was looking for comments/help. To call this a BBP is silly b/c it is not. If I push the turn and he foolishly calls and hits his straight and then I posted it, that would be a BBP and you could crucify me adinfinitum. It's amazing that you are unable to grasp this.

As I said the turn is the weakest part of my NL game and I could have played this hand "correctly" by pushing the turn. That is important! I am new to NL as I made my $$ before playing SnGs and MTT- which are different skill sets.

I am beyond BBPs and would take it to the BBV forums if I really cared. However, I don't. Poker is about making the right decisions at every step which I didn't this hand. I don't care if I drop 10 buyins and played correct poker- in the long run I will make $$. The fact that you see this as a BBP shows a lack of understanding of my original post and probably an inability to consider possible holdings villian may have. The fact that you don't even consider him holding A4 on turn or 67 by the river and only assume set over set is rudimentary poker. At these levels, given villian's tightness, this call is probably on slightly EV.

A BBP is getting your money in as the favorite and getting sucked out on- this did not happen. Do you see why? Apparently not.

"Pooosh and smile . . . " Good advice.

quarkncover
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, get off it. This was not a BBP in any way. I misplayed this hand CLEARLY and was looking for comments/help. To call this a BBP is silly b/c it is not. If I push the turn and he foolishly calls and hits his straight and then I posted it, that would be a BBP and you could crucify me adinfinitum. It's amazing that you are unable to grasp this.

As I said the turn is the weakest part of my NL game and I could have played this hand "correctly" by pushing the turn. That is important! I am new to NL as I made my $$ before playing SnGs and MTT- which are different skill sets.

I am beyond BBPs and would take it to the BBV forums if I really cared. However, I don't. Poker is about making the right decisions at every step which I didn't this hand. I don't care if I drop 10 buyins and played correct poker- in the long run I will make $$. The fact that you see this as a BBP shows a lack of understanding of my original post and probably an inability to consider possible holdings villian may have. The fact that you don't even consider him holding A4 on turn or 67 by the river and only assume set over set is rudimentary poker. At these levels, given villian's tightness, this call is probably on slightly EV.

A BBP is getting your money in as the favorite and getting sucked out on- this did not happen. Do you see why? Apparently not.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You took my post the wrong way and you're overreacting, did you read any of my other posts in this thread? Your OP was not a bad beat post. You were looking for advice on how to play this hand better post-flop. Thats what this forum is for and fwiw I thought it generated some good discussion. However, I still believe that a majority of posts tend to be thinly disguised bad beat or brag posts.

*Edit: Looking at stack sizes, pushing turn is not the most +EV line here.

EMc
02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
I didnt mean to upset you but obviously I have. When I first raed the post I couldnt see any hand that beat you taking thae line, hence the push and be happy.

You were asking for advice, I grant that, but I also agree with quark that most post are thinly disguised brags or beats. However, if you did not lose this hand, are you still posting it?

yabastid
02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You took my post the wrong way and you're overreacting, did you read any of my other posts in this thread? Your OP was not a bad beat post. You were looking for advice on how to play this hand better post-flop. Thats what this forum is for and fwiw I thought it generated some good discussion. However, I still believe. that a majority of posts tend to be thinly disguised bad beat or brag posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

quark,

my replay was to mcwilliams I just happened to quote your page. I really did not mean to lump you in there although I did start it off with "Guys".

I was just very surprised that a poster I believed previously to give decent advice showed such a poor understanding of this post on a few levels.

Ness
02-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I stuff it right back down his throat on the turn.

Garon
02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi yabastid,

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was slowplaying set over set which is why I didn't reraise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Never slowplay the turn! And almost never slowplay the flop. I bomb 3bet the turn and am very happy about it.

Garon

yabastid
02-12-2006, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I stuff it right back down his throat on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Hi yabastid,

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I was slowplaying set over set which is why I didn't reraise the turn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never slowplay the turn! And almost never slowplay the flop. I bomb 3bet the turn and am very happy about it.

Garon

and yes.

Thanks guys.