PDA

View Full Version : River Decision, decent stacks, no reads...

APipeDream
02-25-2007, 01:43 PM
No reads on BB, only been at the table for about 30 hands. Seems LAG, but, no real reads. He showed 2 hands - one for top pair (JTs), and another for 2 pair (QJo). Can't put him on a hand based on the river bet. Don't know if he would try and make a move or not...pretty big pot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

Button ($26.50)
SB ($19.85)
BB ($77.75)
UTG ($13)
UTG+1 ($24.90)
MP1 ($12)
Hero ($31.85)
MP3 ($30.10)
CO ($18.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, MP3 calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB calls $1.

Turn: ($7) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, BB calls $2.50.

River: ($12) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $32</font>, Hero <font color="Purple">???</font>

avfletch
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
For starters could you explain your reasoning at each decision point please.

Zagga
02-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Raise 3-3,5 on the flop and 5-7 on the turn

boycalledroy
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
BB has a 6. Your play is awful, the raise basically priced everybody in. Play tighter from MP2.

barryc83
02-25-2007, 01:50 PM
FOLD. Overbet on the river is a super strong hand like 97% of the time.

APipeDream
02-25-2007, 01:53 PM
To start, he has called a lot of preflop raises, so I knew raising 6x BB would be the same as 3x's, especially since the rest of the table was playing pretty solid from what I could tell so far...nothing maniacal.

Flop...I think this is an easy bet without much need for explanation. Flopped top pair, I was the preflop bettor, absolutely going to put out a continuation bet.

Turn...there's my 2 pair. BUT, he called the flop, so he obviously had something. I thought top pair or a low set. So, I put a pretty small bet out to see how he plays it (about 1/3 pot). He has raise when he has hands before, and with our stacks, I don't think there is any way he wouldn't raise if he actually had a hand now...he just calls again???

River...this is the decision...now, does he have the set, just top pair, a bluff, finish up his str8 and donked his way to the river?

APipeDream
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB has a 6. Your play is awful, the raise basically priced everybody in. Play tighter from MP2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't see how that is possible when 3x's BB raise preflop is pretty standard. How would I "price in" the player right to my left preflop when they haven't put in a penny yet?!? Did you look at the hand? Really...even the SB?

avfletch
02-25-2007, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To start, he has called a lot of preflop raises, so I knew raising 6x BB would be the same as 3x's, especially since the rest of the table was playing pretty solid from what I could tell so far...nothing maniacal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely not keen on raising 78s with 3 people to act behind, especially if you reckon you're getting called a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop...I think this is an easy bet without much need for explanation. Flopped top pair, I was the preflop bettor, absolutely going to put out a continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you didn't cbet it. You made a min raise over a small lead offering everyone lovely odds and not defining your hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn...there's my 2 pair. BUT, he called the flop, so he obviously had something. I thought top pair or a low set. So, I put a pretty small bet out to see how he plays it (about 1/3 pot). He has raise when he has hands before, and with our stacks, I don't think there is any way he wouldn't raise if he actually had a hand now...he just calls again???

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you have a distinct lack of information and you're trying to acquire some with a small bet which is getting called by so many holdings it doesn't help you narrow his range any.

[ QUOTE ]
River...this is the decision...now, does he have the set, just top pair, a bluff, finish up his str8 and donked his way to the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point you just don't have enough information to be picking off bluffs (and that's pretty much all you beat) on this really scary board.

APipeDream
02-25-2007, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise 3-3,5 on the flop and 5-7 on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

True - I think this spot is where I could have played the hand better.

APipeDream
02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
If anyone cares, I made a bad call...it was the right call, I won the pot, but it was still stupid. Just wanted some input on how I played it badly up to that point.