PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll management for multitabling

chris216
02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
When you play more tables, your variance increases. I think if you play 4 tables, you will need double the bankroll. Is that true? So when people tell you to have 20 buyins, does that mean you should have 40 buyins to 4table? When you move up, do you just start out playing on one table or the same number of tables you played on your previous level? More specifically, I have $300 on my FT account, after I lost $100 running bad(I play 10NL 6-max). I considered playing only one table instead of four for a while until I regain my losses and my confidence. On the other hand, I've only played like 3500 hands yet, so maybe things will straighten out faster when I play 4 tables. Any advice on how I should use my bankroll?

thac
02-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Your amount of tables should not affect your bankroll strategy.. you should play the same way on 2 tables as you can play on 4-6.. Just stop when you start to tilt as it's easier to lose money that way. I would still play 4 tables with your bankroll and maybe when I get down to 15 I'd switch back to 3 tables.

ADK
02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
I play 4 with same bankroll that i'd play 1 table with.

Although its important that you leave some tables if you tilt (and you have bad tilt control)... ive had many a session where i've donked away alot of money due to tilting one on table.. need to control that shizzle /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Triggerle
02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Multi-tabling only increases the variance per hour, not the variance per hand. I believe the common bankroll advice is not influenced by multi-tabling.

The White Rabbit
02-25-2007, 01:59 PM
multitabling decreases hourly variance and might increase variance/hand somewhat because your edge is likely to decrease when playing more tables.

DMoogle
02-25-2007, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Multi-tabling only increases the variance per hour, not the variance per hand. I believe the common bankroll advice is not influenced by multi-tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the other way around. More hands = larger sample size = get results faster. It increases variance per hand because most people's winrate drops per 100 hands, while their hourly winrate increases.

If you're just starting out multitabling, then I'd recommend just dropping one limit from what you usually play at. Also, if you're serious about poker, get a 1600x1200 monitor. It helps a LOT.

wulfpacker21
02-25-2007, 02:48 PM
just have as many tables that you feel comfortable w/ the money doesnt matter if your outcome is positive

ajmargarine
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you play more tables, your variance increases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. The more hands you play, the less the variance.

kaz2107
02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ur varience could go up because ur winrate will typically drop a bit. but yea if ur win rates r the same then ur varience will actually b tha same but seem less because u r playin more hands per hour.

betafemale
02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
multitabling decreases hourly variance and might increase variance/hand somewhat because your edge is likely to decrease when playing more tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Couldn't said it better myself.

ssdex
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
multitabling super increases variancce, I am a $25nl 6max regular and i play atleast 8 tables, sometimes as many as 12........... it is not uncommon for me to have 10-15 buying swings either way in as little as 1000 hands sometimes, i have had a 27 buyin downswing and a 70 buyin upswing......... so i recommend 2x the bankroll for each additional 4 tables after one. playing 9 tables I like to be rolled for about 75 buyins so my decision making process isn't affected by the $.

DMoogle
02-25-2007, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
multitabling super increases variancce, I am a $25nl 6max regular and i play atleast 8 tables, sometimes as many as 12........... it is not uncommon for me to have 10-15 buying swings either way in as little as 1000 hands sometimes, i have had a 27 buyin downswing and a 70 buyin upswing......... so i recommend 2x the bankroll for each additional 4 tables after one. playing 9 tables I like to be rolled for about 75 buyins so my decision making process isn't affected by the $.

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW. That's a hell of a lot of variance. 2-5 buy-in swings per 1k hands are normal for me (5 is stretching it), but 10-15 per 1k seems insane.

If you don't mind, what are your stats?

Tiki
02-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Your variance is a measure of how you play.

Sussose if you were to multi-table,tighten up a bit and avoid some marginal (although ordinarily slightly profitable) situations. Your win-rate would decrease slightly and so would your variance.

Suppose you multi-table at the expense of situational awareness and occaisonally over-commit your chips versus the wrong opponent. Now your win-rate would decrease slightly but your variance would increase.

A robot's win rate and variance would remain the same.

All the above assumes that your opponents all play the same "normal game".

Note that the number of games does not need to be mentioned unless we try and our estimate our true win-rate and variance.

br.bm
02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
I like to play with 10 buy ins at 4 tables ... so no need for 40 buy ins I'd say

LMAO
02-25-2007, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with AJ here, Playing just 1 or two tables will get boring fast. Playing four tables seem to be ideal for me because it allows me to play a tight game while still getting reads and discourages me playing marginal hands(lol yea rite). If the deck is really cold i may open a 5th table but that is as much as i've played.

btw i started Feb 1st with 300.00 four tabling 50nl and now have 50 buyins, so just play with what you're comfortable with.

Triggerle
02-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I was wrong that multi-tabling increases variance per hour. What I meant, or rather how I came to this conclusion, is that variance swings will happen in a shorter timeframe. So a 16-tabler will sometimes have a 10 buy-in downswing in a few hours while a 1-tabler will never be down more than a couple buy-ins at the end of a day.

Brian O'Nolan
02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
If you're 12 tabling and have 20-25 buyins, you're gonna have half your roll in play... personally I don't like to have more than 1/3 of my roll in play, as it makes the $ too meaningful if I run bad. If the $ is not that important that might not be a problem for you- it all depends.

ssdex
02-25-2007, 11:44 PM
SAMPLE OF A 10 BUYIN UPSWING OVER 1200 HANDS 9 TABLING.... VARIANCE IS A BITCH...... ILL POST THE PT STATS OF THAT SWING HERE IN A SEC
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6968/nicegraphqz5.th.jpg (http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nicegraphqz5.jpg)