PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - 88

pena
02-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Opp: (9 hands) 11/0/1

I think flop bet is standard. Should I give up on the turn? Maybe slow-down a bit?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($15.90)
BB ($25)
UTG ($68.55)
MP ($33.50)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($8.05)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button ($12.65)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.8</font>, Button calls $1.80.

Turn: ($5.95) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.25 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $5.25.

Genz
02-24-2007, 06:51 AM
I guess you lost the hand before this and you were going to rebuy ASAP? I think you can't play a short stack strategy profitably on 6max tables: the blinds are too frequent and the rake is too high.

Other than that, it's good, imo. Edit to add reasoning: he is extremely unlikely to have a J and a flushdraw is drawing dead. If he has a higher PP then it's too bad.

KriStuS
02-24-2007, 06:58 AM
I would play like you, we don't know anything about our opponent (9 hands is to little). So a reasonable assumption would be that he can have a wide range of hands. Something like A7+ and all pockets (but probably not the high ones), and ofcourse a hand with a jack. I play at similar stakes as you, and I think that opp may have called you with as little as ace high. Overall we beat his HD, when we move in he will probably fold all the unpaired aces (except maybe AQ and AK) and call with a seven, a jack and a pocketpair. So we beat his callingrange. If he happens to have a jack or 99, TT, QQ so be it. Atleast we profit over time.

pena
02-24-2007, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you lost the hand before this and you were going to rebuy ASAP? I think you can't play a short stack strategy profitably on 6max tables: the blinds are too frequent and the rake is too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I was tilt? I don't know, honestly, I didn't feel I was steaming. I don't know yet if my play is profitable these 6max NL tables, I started couple of days ago. I've used to play fixed limit. I'm learning it and trying to improve my play at NL-tables also.

Zagga
02-24-2007, 07:22 AM
HE means you should always have at least a max buyin on the table. That means that every hand you should have at least $25 on 25NL, not $8

Genz
02-24-2007, 07:24 AM
If you played limit before, you only needed to have 12bbs in your stack at every time, because that is the amount you need to get full value if every street is capped. In NL you should have a full stack at all times to maximize the money you can make on a hand at any given time.

pena
02-24-2007, 07:31 AM
OK, maybe I should abandon this short stack strategy. My intention was at first to avoid risks.

Would you explain why max buying is superior to short stack one?

edit: my question came too slow. Genz get there first. OK, thanks.

Genz
02-24-2007, 07:36 AM
It's maximizing value. Because of the variable bet sizes, implied odds play a huge role in NL. And because you can only win the amount you have yourself from any player, you need a big stack to have good implied odds. There are strategies with short stacks that can be played profitably. Those consist mostly of pushing with great hands as soon as possible. But that doesn't work too well in 6max because you have to pay the blinds too often and the rake is too high.
There is also a very long and insightfull post by pokey about this topic. Read it here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=7964709&amp; Searchpage=1&amp;Main=7964709&amp;Words=buy+short+Pokey&amp;to pic=&amp;Search=true#Post7964709)

pena
02-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Seems nice a topic. Got to read it through.. thanks g.