PDA

View Full Version : Toronto: Your favorite things to do or places to go to.

Eagles
02-23-2007, 05:44 PM
El D has done a few of these already and i get the impression they're are a lot of 2p2ers from Toronto from other threads I have read so this seems like a good idea.

For this thread don't just list good places to go to, a brief explanation and a link if applicable should be fine but don't just list something with no explanation.

Eagles
02-27-2007, 01:59 AM
I'll get this thread started since it got unlocked

cumbrae (http://www.cumbraes.com/):A great gourmet butcher shop they just have a ton of very good quality meat. It's expensive but it is well worth it IMO.

Duff's (http://www.duffsfamouswings.ca/home.html):The best wings in Toronto IMO and it's not even close. I normally get either medium(which is still hot) or hot and honey which are milder but very flavorful.

Obviously there's stuff like leafs games/jays game/plays but I'll let people expand on that throughout the thread.

Allinlife
02-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Yukyuk's (http://yukyuks.com) : standup comedy place, seems like everytime I go I laugh so hard that my face feels sore.

crazy canuck
02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Gibraltar_Point_at_Sunset.jpg

I used to go rollerblading with gf to center island. Best time is spring or fall before it turns into a zoo.

Gildwulf
02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

cumbrae:A great gourmet butcher shop they just have a ton of very good quality meat. It's expensive but it is well worth it IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Their lamb curry burgers are amazing when they have them.

Eagles
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yukyuk's (http://yukyuks.com) : standup comedy place, seems like everytime I go I laugh so hard that my face feels sore.

[/ QUOTE ] Second city (http://www.secondcity.com/?id=theatres/toronto) Is also very good I only went once but it was really funny, and not to expensive.

private joker
02-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Spoke (http://www.thespokeclub.com/member/default.asp?s=1) -- it's a dinner club on King and... um... I can't remember but I think it's a few blocks east of Spadina.

Really nice place, great food, kick-ass bar. Kind of expensive and you have to go with a member, but it's worth it. Very cool crowd.

(EDIT: URL to website)

Khaos4k
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Nathan Philips Square skating is fun for a date. The only problem is that it can be busy as hell.

Isura
02-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Dhaba is the best Indian restaurant that I've tried there. The food is really flavor full but not too salty like most of the crap joints around. Also, Popeye's Chicken FTW if you're ever at the Eaton's center. It is greasy and unhealthy but delicious.

egordo877
02-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Burrito Boyz (120 Peter Street). Really really delicious tri tip steak burritos, and cheap. It's a small location, and i remember there being a line out the door every time i went.

Anacardo
02-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Every time I see the standard sporting abbreviation for the city of Toronto, TOR, as with for example the Toronto Raptors, I am delighted, and say to myself, whether in my head or out loud, 'TOORRRRRRRRRR!,' on a rising note, ending in a sort of screech.

That is all. Thank you for reading.

mj12
02-28-2007, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Burrito Boyz (120 Peter Street). Really really delicious tri tip steak burritos, and cheap. It's a small location, and i remember there being a line out the door every time i went.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like Burrito Boyz you've got to try bar burrito around college and bathurst. Similar idea but much better imo.

Just went to beir market last week, that place was cool. Pretty good food, nice atmosphere and obv amazing beer.

My local favourite is falaffel world near jane and bloor mmmmmmmmm so good. Seems so much more fresh and better quality then and other lebanese place I've been and just tastier in general.

karlkrak
02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
A great cheap date is by Habourfront, especially in the summertime. I like go watch the glass blowers in the Craft Studio at the Harbourfront Centre. The studios are open to the public in the evenings for free.

talentdeficit
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
the best thing to do if you find yourself in toronto is to leave.

seriously, toronto is the worst city i've ever visited (except calgary i guess, but calling calgary a city is a stretch).

bigt439
02-28-2007, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

seriously, toronto is the worst city i've ever visited (except calgary i guess, but calling calgary a city is a stretch).

[/ QUOTE ]

people like you suck for several reasons.

something i really enjoy in toronto is the st. lawrence market. im not sure if i like it because i used to go with my parents all the time when i was much younger or if its because of the amazing pemeal bacon on a bun you can get at carousel's and the incredible cheese curds next door, but either way its kind of a fun and unique place to go grocery shopping on a saturday morning.

im also a big fan of biking through the bridle path (probably the richest and most visually appealing neighbourhood in toronto) and edward's gardens (a nearby park that is pretty amazing in the summer). these are both right near don mills and leslie.

MTUCache
02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?

I'd rank TO as one of my all-time favorite big cities to visit, easily #1 for Canadian cities.

My wife and I have always had a great time there, from the hotels downtown, to the theater (LoTR, etc), to the restaurants, just walking down the Path, etc. Add in the wine country stuff around, a visit to the hotel spa, and the train-ride back and forth from Detroit, and you've got guaranteed adoration for at least a month.

It works just as well as a guys' night out town. Between the hundreds of bars, the Hockey HoF, the sidewalk hotdog vendors, and the Brass Rail, you can keep an entire bachelor party of guys entertained and happy a long weekend.

Besides the weather, I can't think of too many things I'd change about that city.

gamblore99
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
For bars, Madison is probably my favourite. Crowd is mostly early-mid 20s. Info (http://www.toronto.com/restaurants/listing/000-212-977)

I also go to this place alot, though the crowd is mostly under 21. piccadilly circus (http://www.piccadillycircus.ca/)

Can someone recommend a good mexican restuarant?

bigt439
03-01-2007, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For bars, Madison is probably my favourite. Crowd is mostly early-mid 20s. Info (http://www.toronto.com/restaurants/listing/000-212-977)

I also go to this place alot, though the crowd is mostly under 21. piccadilly circus (http://www.piccadillycircus.ca/)

[/ QUOTE ]

the maddie is quality but its definitely for the university crowd.

every single time people want to go to picadillys i talk about how much i hate it, and really, when you think about it, its a pretty [censored] bar... but for some reason i always end up having an absolute blast there... i would definitely recommend it, but i dont know why...

TheDudeAbides
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Awesome thread. I'll let you guys in on a secret: Lahore Tikka House at 365 Gerrard East. It's an authentic Pakistani restaurant and the food is, without a doubt, some of the best I've ever eaten. Don't go expecting anything classy (last time I ate there we were seated in a portable trailer), but the food is absolutely delicious. It's incredibly spicy, so don't go if you can't handle a little kick to your meal.

Also, come to eat and not socialize. The portions are great and they are constantly cooking, so you get your meal almost as soon as you order it. And it's damn cheap too.

I have to disagree with Duff's for the best wings - my vote goes to The Bistro at Avenue and Lawrence.

I would also highly recommend checking out a Toronto Rock game at the ACC. I have never seen a lacrosse game before and I loved it. None of the pretentious crap you get with the Leafs and tickets (I believe) are somewhere around $20. Young crowd, Q107 providing the soundtrack throughout the game. Good times.

supafrey
03-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Burrito Boiz is good stuff...

Thai Bistro is on the west side on Yonge, in between Finch and Empress (North York Centre). Cheap thai food from a nice family place and some of the best curry evar.

bigt439
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with Duff's for the best wings - my vote goes to The Bistro at Avenue and Lawrence.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man you are waaaay off here. bistro is pretty average imo.

second best is the longest yard at mount pleasant and davisville imo, but i agree that duffs are the best.

TheDudeAbides
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Chacun son gout as they say (the only thing I remember from Grade 9 French).

But I'm sticking with my choice here. McSorley's isn't bad either.

billymonk
03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the Maddie. There is a server in the sports bar area named Britney (or Brittany) who is cute enough to die for.

gamblore99
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Burrito Boiz is good stuff...

Thai Bistro is on the west side on Yonge, in between Finch and Empress (North York Centre). Cheap thai food from a nice family place and some of the best curry evar.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favourite thai place is mai thai at Yonge just north of Eglinton. They have one in Hamilton (how I discovered it) and I have been eating there 4-5 times a week.
Another great restuarant is Millers Tavern (http://www.themiller.ca/home.html). Its kind of an upscale restaurant/lounge that has good seafood and a lot of other variety. Terra (http://www.terrarestaurant.ca/home.html) is just outside of north york but is defintely worth it. This is the only gourmet restaurant where I would enjoy it enough that I would pay for it myself. Everytime I have gone there everyone has really enjoyed it.

One restaurant I think everyone should stay away from is North 44. I have been there 3 times, hoping it would get better but the food was very expensve and not very good.

Eagles
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Gamblore,

Both those places look really good I'll definetely try them out sometime.

grando
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people say the stupidest things

Calgary would be the 10th largest city in the US behind NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, and Dallas - they're ahead of places like Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, and Boston (I guess they aren't cities either)

FWIW, Toronto's population would be second to New York

bigt439
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gamblore,

[/ QUOTE ]

millers is quite good. down the street from my old house actually.

very good place to go on a sunny summer day at like 6 or 7 pm. they have an awesome patio that make it a good place to have a few drinks before dinner.

TheDudeAbides
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Is Millers the old Jolly Miller? I used to hang out at the place when it was a dive (we got served underage).

Cancuk
03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people say the stupidest things

Calgary would be the 10th largest city in the US behind NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, and Dallas - they're ahead of places like Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, and Boston (I guess they aren't cities either)

FWIW, Toronto's population would be second to New York

[/ QUOTE ]

While you are talking about the "city population" of Calgary, most people actually talk about the "urban population". If we talk about the "city population", Mexico City only has 8+ million people, while it's urban population has over 20 million.

Calgary's "city pop" has around 800K, which is above places like SF and Boston. But, in this case, both Winnipeg and Edmonton would also be above Boston, Seattle, Atlanta and Denver. If we take urban population, like most people, it's not close. Calgary urban is population is only 6,000 more people than the city population.

Also, Toronto wouldn't be the second. Chicago, LA, NY all have larger city populations. Detroit, SF, Boston, and Baltimore also have larger "urban populations" as well.

End nit.

Link (http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/North_American_cities.htm)

Gamblor
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

second best is the longest yard at mount pleasant and davisville imo, but i agree that duffs are the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duffs are giant fatty buttery. Bistro are small but meaty and the dipping sauce is A+. Its a matter of taste.

Gamblor
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gamblore,

[/ QUOTE ]

millers is quite good. down the street from my old house actually.

very good place to go on a sunny summer day at like 6 or 7 pm. they have an awesome patio that make it a good place to have a few drinks before dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Habitat at King/Bathurst is great for patios, as is Ultra in the summer. In the winter its high-priced pretentiousness (that's why I go). In the summer its a celeb hangout, especially during film festival season.

re: the falafels, god 90% of them suck. If you want soft, not stale pita and good falafel with good salad, go to Bathurst and Lawrence to Tov Li.

Late night food is all about the Hot Spot, right next to burrito boys. They make Israeli "toast", which is just a sub sandwich put in a compression toaster so its flat and hot.

Also, call gildwulf, smellmuth, Esperante, and I and we'll take you out for a good time. My good friend's uncle owns the Brass Rail so we're VIPs there. Like, when they're taking a break from working the floor, the girls hang out with us.

Oh, and The Hockey hall of fame? I could be lost in there for a week and still not see everything i wanted to see.

Eagles
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duffs are giant fatty buttery. Bistro are small but meaty and the dipping sauce is A+. Its a matter of taste.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had bistro many times. I think they're very good but not Duff's quality.

Also a few other random good fast food joints

Bellybusters
Burger Shack
California Sandwiches (http://www.californiasandwiches.com/home.htm)

xedin
03-08-2007, 01:44 AM
this thread sucks more than toronto

Eagles
03-08-2007, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for contributing

TheDudeAbides
03-08-2007, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And people wonder why the rest of the country hates Quebec.

Gamblor - your friend's uncle owns the Rail? DAMN. Any good trip reports? And I 100% agree with your choice for falafel - Tov Li has the best in the city, hands down.

Eagles - had Burger Shack last night for dinner. That place is the greatest, but I heard from the owner last time I was in there that they're looking to sell it.

spamhead
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Do they still do the CNE in Toronto? I used to go when I was a kid living in Niagara Falls. Went to a ton of Jays games at old Exhibition Staduim, GREAT crowd and tons of fun.

Lazy Meatball
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't know if this is still in effect, but last September I went to Toronoto for a weekend to see the Red Sox, and stumbled across the Steamwhistle Brewery across the street from the SkyDome. It gave free tours, but even better unlimited free samples in normal size glasses. The beer wasn't fantastic but not bad either. It made for great pregraming before the games.

-zero-
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Apache Burgers at Bloor and Dundas West has some great food.

Gamblor
03-09-2007, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And people wonder why the rest of the country hates Quebec.

Gamblor - your friend's uncle owns the Rail? DAMN. Any good trip reports? And I 100% agree with your choice for falafel - Tov Li has the best in the city, hands down.

Eagles - had Burger Shack last night for dinner. That place is the greatest, but I heard from the owner last time I was in there that they're looking to sell it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course good trip reports... we usually hang out upstairs in the mezzanine room, a small room that fits about 20 people that the celebs usually party in, and we just hang out with the girls while they're taking a breather. on more than one occasion i have been invited back to their apartments to hang out after /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. they're actually fairly normal, a shade on the dumb side (on average), but very money hungry, and they're smart in that they are aware of how guys will act in every situation. they know that their job is basically acting and a giant hustle, but also they love to show that they have control over most guys - i love to exploit that in the opposite direction, "awww you think just cause you look like that i'm going to do everything you say? come on honey, you know better than that". they eat that dumb [censored] up.

mmmmmm the Shack. A+++++

Belly's is also A++++. both are legendary in my circles, mostly for late night eating.

Gamblor
03-09-2007, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Apache Burgers at Bloor and Dundas West has some great food.

[/ QUOTE ]

try hero burger.

loveinvain
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I used to live in Toronto. I'm a bit homesick at the moment so I'll put in my 2c, maybe I'll feel better.

Wings - the best I've had are from Chick'n Deli at Eglinton and Mt. Pleasant though I've never had Duffs so take it FWIW.

St. Lawrence Market, absolutely wonderful place to wander through on a weekend and buy fresh foodstuffs. Love the cheese shops, several hundred cheeses to choose from, I specially love the light cream cheese, that stuff is sooooo soft. Put it on a bagel with some lox ...

For those of you invited to hang out at the VIP room at the Brass Rail, you're fools if you don't take advantage of that. Best strip club in TO by far IMO.

Science Centre - for anyone with any interest in that area or with kids, this is an awesome place for the whole family. You can spend the whole day there and still not see it all. Lots of hands on stuff, just fantastic.

Hockey Hall Of Fame has more to look at then you can possibly imagine. I took my ex wife there who has no interest in hockey at all and even she enjoyed it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Queen st. This is my favorite place to go for a walk. Either the "beaches" in the east end or the more "artsy" part between roughly St. George and Bathurst. These are best in the summer but fun anytime. Lots of interesting little shops to check out, street artists performing, cafes with interesting people hanging out. And if your still in the Bathurst/Queen area at night, there used to be a great little blues club there called Chicago's, maybe it's still there.

Someone mentioned Popeye's - I concur. Greasy but oh so very tasty.

If the CNE is still on, that's a great place late august til Labour day. Mostly a kids thing with the midway but fun for adults too. It's not what it used to be (but what is eh) but it's still fun.

Harbourfront is a great place to spend time just wandering around, have a drink somewhere etc.

iron81
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I visited Toronto once, there's a couple things I did that I enjoyed. I rented a kayak and cruised around the harbor and between the offshore islands. Also, I thought riding the downtown trolley was fun. I was a teenager at the time, but the fact that I enjoyed a trip with my parents should tell you something.

MTUCache
03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you invited to hang out at the VIP room at the Brass Rail, you're fools if you don't take advantage of that. Best strip club in TO by far IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

Also... invited? Both times I've been there we just walked upstairs after handing the guy at the door $20.

A+ club. I was particularly fond of the Anna K. look-a-like who gave me a few close-ups of her [censored] ring during the private dances.

loveinvain
03-13-2007, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

Also... invited? Both times I've been there we just walked upstairs after handing the guy at the door $20.

A+ club. I was particularly fond of the Anna K. look-a-like who gave me a few close-ups of her [censored] ring during the private dances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to this from Gamblor's post, not sure who it was addressed to. Just that is wasn't me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

"Also, call gildwulf, smellmuth, Esperante, and I and we'll take you out for a good time. My good friend's uncle owns the Brass Rail so we're VIPs there. Like, when they're taking a break from working the floor, the girls hang out with us."

Gildwulf
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Habitat at King/Bathurst is great for patios

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my close friends from college is bar manager at Habitat now...we get free booze every time we go there (Ahnuld can attest to that)

Scotty_12
06-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Are there any 2p2 posters who frequent the card clubs around the city? I have been to about half a dozen but Im interested to check out more. A few of them are pretty sketch, but Ive been pleasantly suprised by 2.

DavidC
06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm a white guy that wants to have masala tea.

Please inform me on how to do this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dhaba is the best Indian restaurant that I've tried there. The food is really flavor full but not too salty like most of the crap joints around. Also, Popeye's Chicken FTW if you're ever at the Eaton's center. It is greasy and unhealthy but delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe...mp;near=Toronto (http://www.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=GAa&q=dhaba+indian+restaurant&near= Toronto),+ON&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image

Gildwulf
06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe...mp;near=Toronto (http://www.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=GAa&q=dhaba+indian+restaurant&near= Toronto),+ON&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want good Indian, there are a whole slew of places at Queen and John that are excellent. I highly recommend Babur as my personal favorite. I've tried a few others but none really come close.

Trimurti (about a block away) is good but the service was absolutely atrocious.

Mingdu
06-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Astoria on the Danforth for awesome souvlaki ...

... I've done some travelling and there is no place like Toronto for great food and entertainment with a measure of safety and cleanliness ...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Pillinger/Muskoka/IMG_0739.jpg

Mediocre_Player
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Pretty much piling on to the concensus:

Grace O'Malleys (live music) & The Maddy
Burrito Boys obv

nothing beats getting drunk as [censored] downtown and then riding the Yonge "Vomit Comet" home

For music/concert fans, there is always something good going on, so many venues ... venues from 100 ppl to 20,000, I would guess easily 5-10 "name" acts every weekend at Oprah house/Koolhaus/Phoenix/Lee's/Horseshoe/ACC/Molson Amphitheatre, etc

NXNE is this weekend!

Kensington & St L markets are nice as well.