PDA

View Full Version : I struggle to assign a hand-range

Chomp
02-23-2007, 11:48 AM
I really struggle to assign hand-ranges and to play against that range. Could you check my thought process in assigning a range to this villain through the hand?

Villain is 20/8/3, 400 hands.

Hero is a 17/12 nit trying to grow some balls.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, BB calls.

<font color="blue">22+, A5s+, Various Broadways, Various SC's, 27o (representing random rubbish).

So I consider myself ahead of his pf calling range.</font>

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($4.25, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $6.5</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">44+, XhXh, Qx, 67, 23, 27o

His cr narrows his range, and I am not ahead of as much of it as before. But I am still ahead of his range and only behind 44, 55, QQ, KK, AA, 67hh, 23hh. That is, I am behind 7 specific hands out of a possible, say, 20 possible hands, and 3 of those - AA/KK/QQ - are very unlikely. So I call his cr. </font>

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($17.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $10</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Set, flush, str8, bluff, 7x

Sudddenly, I am ahead of only 2 possible hand out of 10 or 12, i.e. a bluff or 7x. But this is a good scare-card, so I call getting ~3/1 which might be his stealing frequency on a scare card anyway considering he is agro postflop.</font>

River: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($37.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $14</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $14 returned to BB.

<font color="blue">His range is much as it was on the turn: so by the time I get to the river, I am beating a very small part of his range. Namely, a bluff. So I fold.
</font>

Results:
Final pot: $37.25

How does that sound? Thanks.

On edit: Full stacks

spacetime
02-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Need stack sizes btw, ill assume normal.

If you feel that you are ahead of 13 out of 20 hands on the flop, why not raise here? Any turn scare card is going to kill your action here.

It is nice having position here, because you could be able to check behind on the river. Obv. river is fold.

The question is that of the turn. I think your thought process is very good throughout the hand, but you are not following it. If you are ahead of 2 out of 10 to 12 hands, there is no river card that is going to make you suddenly ahead of more of his, except the 5 (less one ace because of the heart) that two pair you and even then it is hard to call a big bet. Any but a fold on the turn seems -EV to me.

barryc83
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Fold the turn when the heart hits and he bets. You're basically praying he has KQ. I think he has TPTK beat the overwhelming majority of the time on the turn.

craigmarq
02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I actually agree with the turn fold, simply because at these stakes it seems like a flop raise on that texture board is nearly always the fd. With the read on the villian call the turn is fine since you're in position. nh