PDA

View Full Version : 25NL Nut Straight draw victim of Slowplay

Hui
02-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi, I'm new to poker and have been lurking in 2+2 for a month or so.

I'm looking to learn and understand the theories behind poker.
This is my first hand post so please give it to me straight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------------

Pacific Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.12/$0.25
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.13
UTG+1: $14.44
MP1: $23.82
MP2: $4.28
MP3: $35.41
Hero: $16.01
Villain: $18.41
SB: $27.2
BB: $27.42

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
4 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Villain calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif ($1.25, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.25</font>, Villain calls, 3 folds.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($1.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.25</font>, Villain calls.

River: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($2.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Villain raises to $7.06</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $12.12</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Villain raises to $17.66</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $37.57

---------------------------------------------------------

Where did I go wrong?
Should I raise preflop?
Should I have raised on the flop and force an indication from Villain?
Maybe I should of called the river raise since it's likely we both have the nut straight?

Thanks!

MickChecker
02-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Your flop bet is to small. I would either check or bet more, say 1$.
Also your turn bet is much to small. Bet 1/2 pot.

If he calls your bigger bets, then you know that you are in trouble on the river, but your bet is fine. But don't reraise, he must have had a queen so he now might have boated up.
And if you both have the straight, you don't want to donate your money to the rake.

Nick C
02-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Preflop is sorta loose, but I don't have a big problem with it.

If I bet the flop (I probably wouldn't, though), I would probably bet a little bigger.

On the turn, you really should bet more, I think.

As for the river, I would just call the raise. Occasionally Villain will be bluffing, but really you're kind of giving ~1:2 (with a call) that the two of you have the same hand.

In any case, the river min/4-bet is just a bad idea, I think. If you like your hand enough to do so, just put Villain all-in at this point. (I don't think you should, though.)

Tiki
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Fold PF. K10 is a terrible hand to play multiway unless the money is like 200BB deep. If MP3 had less than 30BB AND CO,SB and BB were very tight then raising would be a defensible but marginal play.

Bet more on flop or just simply check (better).

Bet more on turn.

Call villains river raise unless you have him marked as a truly awful player. Even a mediocre villain must have at least a str8 on the river. If villain did show you a FH, make a note of how poorly he played it and let him slowplay you into the nuts next time around.

eigenvalue
02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Preflop: You should fold preflop. KTo is a trap hand, you shouldn't play it OOP.
Flop: Check the flop. Your bet makes no sense at all. What's your reason for that incredibly weak bet?
Turn: You have the nut straight, so you should put money into the pot. Don't slowplay!
River: Betting and reraising his raise later is very bad. Think about the possible holdings of your opponent. It is very obvious that he is not afraid of your straight. So he has either a straight, too or he has a FH with AQ, KQ or QJ. So check-fold the river. You are splitting the pot at best!

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree with eigen.
Fold preflop.
Check the flop, you shouldn't get into a habit of chasing draws if the board is paired. If people minbet into you then it's fine to call because it's doubtful anyone has a set, but don't lead into others, especially in position multiway.
Make a real bet on the turn, aroudn the size of the pot (1.5$ in this case).
Actually, I don't mind leading river again after he calls since none of these players seem to be very good, but don't ever 3bet if you get raised; I think calling the first raise is fine but never reraise with the board paired like that. If you've seen villain slowplay monsters before then I lead about 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

craigmarq
02-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I fold pf. Check the flop. On the turn when your draw you bet more than .25 into a 1.75 pot. That bet makes absolutely no sense. Bet at least 3/4 pot. On the river why rr? Your ahead of very few hands and you split with a T. A lot of the hands hes been calling you down with here have made a fh. When he rrs simply call.

Zagga
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Fold preflop
Bet more on flop
Bet alot more on turn (never Minbet! just don't do it).

AceLuby
02-23-2007, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop
Bet more on flop

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Zagga
02-23-2007, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop
Bet more on flop

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

or that:)

just dont call

grizadams
02-23-2007, 02:38 PM
I think if your gonna play KT in the CO, bet PF but folding is a better play. And you get no information by min. betting...Worst play in poker. Bet 2/3 to 3/4 the pot.

Griz

VPIP100
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if your gonna play KT in the CO, bet PF but folding is a better play. And you get no information by min. betting...Worst play in poker. Bet 2/3 to 3/4 the pot.

Griz

[/ QUOTE ]

So limit is the worst form of poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif?

grizadams
02-23-2007, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Griz

[/ QUOTE ]

So limit is the worst form of poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something...isn't this a NL hand?

Bonesy
02-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't play FR but I'm sure raising or folding pf is correct. I would lean towards folding. Your flop bet is too small. I know it is a sweetener but you want some folding equity too and that puny little bet will rarely take this pot down. Turn bet too puny as well. You give everything great odds to pass you. Your river reraise is awful to be blunt. It's obvious even to the worse donkeys out there that you have at least a straight. Frankly I would probably fold to the first river reraise. You are tying at best and full houses are everywhere.

Hui
02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Things I'll take away from this.

1. Position is important, very important.
2. KTo (and it's equivalent) are dangerous and need to be approached with caution.
3. Raise more aggressively on all streets, or fold. Value betting is reserved for the river.
4. Play cautious with a paired board, especially out of position.

For the record Villain had QJ.