PDA

View Full Version : 10NL AK OOP

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Villain is loose/passive/bad, something like 35/10/2 over 80 hands.

Playing against passive players is one of my biggest leaks, please help.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($5.90)
CO ($14.10)
Button ($11.70)
SB ($9.50)
BB ($9.05)
Hero ($13.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.95) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1.5</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($3.95) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1.4</font>, Hero calls $1.40.

River: ($6.75) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10.8</font>, Hero calls $6.55 (All-In).

Final Pot: $28.10

I'm pretty sure I messed this one up, but the minraise threw me off from a passive player and I didn't know how to react on the turn out of position. In retrospect I like bet/fold on the turn, or check calling turn and river.

Thoughts? Is bet/call the river standard or spewy?

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 08:45 AM
By the way the reason I smoothcalled the flop minraise was because I figured it was either a valueraise with 2pair or a "I hit the flop where do I stand" info raise, and so 3betting would only get called when I'm behind. He might be doing this with AQ and is likely playing AK this way (in which case we obviously split) but I figure WA/WB, call and reevaluate on the turn. For that reason I checked and obviously wasn't folding to the 1/3 pot bet.

I then deviated from my pot control line fairly stupidly when I rivered trips. If he was ahead he's still ahead, if he's behind he's stacking off, but I still am not sure of where I stand and so playing for stacks probably isn't the best course of action given my earlier feelings.

On the flop I'd put his minraising range at A7+, 77, 88, but he wasn't calling a 3bet without A7, A8, 77, 88, AK and possibly AQ.

MickChecker
02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I think your play was ok so far except for the river. I would prefer check with the intention to fold to a strong bet. You just have a marginal hand here, especially if he is passive.

PietM
02-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't think AK is that marginal in this situation. I don't think 35/10 players call a lot of raises with J9 (am I wrong here?), so an Ace is definitely in his range. Of those we're only beat by AT, A8 and A7. The rest of the Aces we beat or split.

Tiki
02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Well played until river. Check and call a reasonable bet on the river. I can't lay these ones down but you're probably beat on the river. I'd have to call to know (my incurable curiosity leak) .

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think it's a sure thing that I'm beat on the river, but the fact that I'm not sure whether I'm ahead is why I don't like my play. I think I'm stacking AJ/AQ and splitting AK, and I think all are possibly part of his range here. The problem is that there are 4 possible combos of AQ that I'm ahead of, 4 AJ, 3 AK that I split, but then there are 3 A8 3 A7 and 3 AT that have me beat, as well as 3 88 and 3 77. So I'm behind 15 possible hands and I'm ahead of 8, and tying 3. Obviously once I bet I have to call but I think check/call anything less than allin on the river is the superior line to bet/calling since I'm best only 1/3 of the time, and just jamming the rake for when I split.

RollTide77
02-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I would have led the turn. But I am aggressive post flop. I wouldn't fear J9. If he has that then more power to him cuz you'll get him next time. If you lead the turn and he bets then you can probably put him on AT. But you still could represent a set but I don't think he's gonna lay it down.

But as played I think I'm probably RR the turn. You only have one pair. His bet is weak. If you don't you gotta figure its going to cost you more on the river to see a SD w/o having a good idea of what he has. On the river I'm calling. I can't lay down trip As.

PietM
02-23-2007, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's a sure thing that I'm beat on the river, but the fact that I'm not sure whether I'm ahead is why I don't like my play. I think I'm stacking AJ/AQ and splitting AK, and I think all are possibly part of his range here. The problem is that there are 4 possible combos of AQ that I'm ahead of, 4 AJ, 3 AK that I split, but then there are 3 A8 3 A7 and 3 AT that have me beat, as well as 3 88 and 3 77. So I'm behind 15 possible hands and I'm ahead of 8, and tying 3. Obviously once I bet I have to call but I think check/call anything less than allin on the river is the superior line to bet/calling since I'm best only 1/3 of the time, and just jamming the rake for when I split.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're also ahead of A9, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2....

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're also ahead of A9, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2....

[/ QUOTE ]
none of which are in this villain's range.