PDA

View Full Version : fancy play syndrome villain

grodgersOZ
02-23-2007, 01:22 AM
I have played for about 50 hands Vs this villain, he plays to the river most hands, frequently check raising, c beting with nothing, re-raising PF with junk, but has made a few lucky hands on the river (has also lost a lot too). Basically im itching to get a hand against him and although im aware KQo is no powerhouse, it should normally beat him at showdown.

my cards wern't great, but i had seen him make an almost identical play earlier with pocket 2's and K9o.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.04
10 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $5
UTG+1: $6.16
UTG+2: $4.56
MP1: $6.80
HERO: $6.06
MP3: $5
CO: $6.28
Button: $6.90
SB: $5
BB: $2.07

Pre-flop: (10 players) HERO is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $0.14</font>, HERO calls, 4 folds, BB calls.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.44, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.16</font>, HERO calls, BB calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif ($0.92, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.16</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $0.45</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $1.56</font>, HERO calls.

River: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($4.04, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 is all-in $5.1</font>.

Final pot: $9.14

i wasn't afraid of the turn re-raise as he does that often, but the river bet made me reconsider. I did not put him on trip 2's, he has mostly been playing large offsuit cards.
Have seen him make approx 10xBB raise's PF with low pocket pairs 4 times, and when he makes a 3-4xBB pf raise he has had the large off suit cards.

im putting him on Q and bad kicker until now, maybe J9 or 109. Am i up against Q9, Q8, J10?

1: Should i have re-raised him PF to try and isolate/see where i am?
2: would u have folded to the turn re-raise given the read?
3: do you call the river?
4: any other pointers?

Check_The_Nuts
02-23-2007, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't have reraised the turn, I'd call the river since your pot odds are good. If you were going to fold I would have folded to the turn 3bet, not the river push.

grodgersOZ
02-23-2007, 01:38 AM
I agree. i would have usually folded the turn 3 bet, ONLY reason i didn't was my read.

What do you think of this:
i called the flop rather than re raise so i could give him some more rope to hang himself as i was planning to re-raise the turn pretty much regardless of what came, and i expected it to knock the other player out (which it did).
If i had re-raised the flop and he 3 bet then, would that change your opinion?

Check_The_Nuts
02-23-2007, 01:43 AM
I don't like raising maniac with TP2K simply because he may realize the crap he's betting with isn't good, and that your not folding.

The turn helped your hand, and I'm more inclined to think your ahead of his range on the turn more so than on the flop, simply because its unlikely he has a 2 and now less likely he has a set.

A lot of your reasoning is flawed, you mentioned a couple times to raise to "see where your at". This is a limit concept that can save you bets on later streets (since no one folds in limit). However, in no limit seeing where your at is useless. This just means your turning marginal hands into bluffs.....

grodgersOZ
02-23-2007, 01:53 AM
good point. (nodding head, contemplating)

i dont (normally) raise to "see where im at" with marginal hands such as this one (or say 2ndPairTK). I merely posed it as a question to see if i should have been thinking that way, and (gladly) it looks like i shouldn't be (and don't).
If i had of re-raised PF i would have been doing it with the intention of isolating.

sounds like keeping pot size control should have been my No1 priority with a marginal hand like this, and then maybe value bet the river depending on his actions.

What is the other flawed reasoning you mentioned?