PDA

View Full Version : I try a resteal and don't know what to do when I get called

holland3r
02-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Villain is an 18/13 TAG, havn't been involved in any hands with him yet.

When he calls my reraise I expect he has either a pair or a better broadway, so is it still right for me to cont bet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($66.35)
Hero ($62.55)
UTG ($10.95)
MP ($48.55)
Button ($59.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button calls $5.

Flop: ($14.25) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $25</font>, Hero folds.

IsaacAsimov
02-23-2007, 01:10 AM
I always make the cbet in rr pots HU. You have a lot more foldequity. He his folding hands that have you beat in those spots so you have to make the bet. For example AQ and AK, possibly pairs that he called for set value, which is unlikely though given the stack sizes.
There is no need to show weakness in these spots, just cbet and fold to resistance if you don't have a hand, cause villain obviously has one in this spot.

BennyProfane
02-23-2007, 01:28 AM
I don't think you're restealing pre, because I don't think villain is necessarily stealing. I think you're building a pot that you're going to have to play OOP with a hand that is likely behind most of what an 18/13 is playing, even from the button. Having said that, I like the cbet given the position you're in on the flop, because you need to push AK and AQ to fold and the cbet is the only way to get the information you need. But I wouldn't reraise a player this tight with AJo pre.

bsheck
02-23-2007, 01:48 AM
Reraising out of position is suicide. Your opponent will tend to call the reraise because he has good position and implied odds. Then after the flop you either have to give up right away and be out $7 or try a continuation bet and put even more money at risk where you have very little idea of where your opponent stands. Even if you do hit your top pair, you could be in trouble. Comes A-x-x you bet he calls he could easily have AK or AQ and it could cost you the rest of your stack to get to showdown.

derosnec
02-23-2007, 02:10 AM
i check fold the flop, and i'm not saying that because your c-bet happened to get raised here. the flop is medium cards, you 3bet out of the bb, and a cbet is going to cost a decent amount. from experience here, i just don't think you are going to pick up the pot often enough for the cbet to be profitable. if you must cbet, 1/2 pot is fine because it is a rr pot.

jonyy6788
02-23-2007, 02:12 AM
You can c-bet, but I don't think villain is folding many hands.

spacetime
02-23-2007, 02:15 AM
This looks fine to me. Many more times then not villain has air here and folds, you have show extreme strength preflop, he is not raising here unless he has a very strong hand. Expect 1010+.

Two things to take in consideration here are: 1) Has villain been stealing blinds a lot? 2) Have you RR someone PF yet?

This is a play I make a lot with hands like this, and you will see folds here more than not. The real problem is, what do you do if he just calls? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

holland3r
02-23-2007, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This looks fine to me. Many more times then not villain has air here and folds, you have show extreme strength preflop, he is not raising here unless he has a very strong hand. Expect 1010+.

Two things to take in consideration here are: 1) Has villain been stealing blinds a lot? 2) Have you RR someone PF yet?

This is a play I make a lot with hands like this, and you will see folds here more than not. The real problem is, what do you do if he just calls? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls my flop cbet I guess I c/f the turn.

Without looking through the hand histories I believe the villain raised on the button or CO at least once before and took down the blinds. I do remember making a similar rr out of the blinds before at this table against a lp raise.

It seems very weak to fold this preflop even against a tight villain -- I'm not much looser and steal fairly liberally on the button against tight blinds. Reraising here is much better than calling, yes?

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reraising out of position is suicide. Your opponent will tend to call the reraise because he has good position and implied odds. Then after the flop you either have to give up right away and be out $7 or try a continuation bet and put even more money at risk where you have very little idea of where your opponent stands. Even if you do hit your top pair, you could be in trouble. Comes A-x-x you bet he calls he could easily have AK or AQ and it could cost you the rest of your stack to get to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you reraising AA/KK? If you don't 3bet light you basically turn those hands faceup. I used to be huge losers with both AA and KK until I started mixing in some lighter 3bets; that being said, I'd never ever 3bet AJo OOP against this kind of player. As a rule, you should only be 3betting for value when you think you're ahead of raiser's range, or when you think you have fold equity. Reraising AJo here is bad because even if you hit you're usually behind. I think that 3-betting a hand like low pocket pairs or suited connectors is very profitable, especially if villain has nitty tendencies.

craigmarq
02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
To be honest, I really don't like 3 betting from the blinds with ajo. I used to make this same mistake too, and building a pot with an often dominated hand oop is win rate suicide. Against this type of opponent I typically 3 bet aqs+ tt+ and mid suited connectors.

AceLuby
02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Resteals don't work in uNL (most of the time). Just call and see a flop PF. You don't want to bloat the pot OOP, which is exactly what you did.

Triggerle
02-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I have been 3-betting a lot from the blinds with AJo lately due to the very tight and aggressive NL25 games I am encountering on FTP during off hours. I've had quite some success because my opponents either often layed it down or seemed much more uncomfortable with playing in re-raised pots. Basically, the same opponents who would take every pot away from me with flop checkraises and turn bets now were now suddenly too scared to make these moves.

I am well aware that my sample size is much too small to draw any conclusion from so I would be interested in opinions about this.

weknowhowtolive
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Whaaaaaat? If someone is constantly raising my BB I shouldnt ever reraise because its suicide?

boycalledroy
02-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I'll let a player raise the button a few times before I go to action. Also in your particular case I would of check-raised the guy. Or folded pre-flop.

matrix
02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
eeeeeew.

This is NL - blinds don't matter.

just steal someone elses blind as often as yours get stolen.

if you are going to 3bet a button open I wouldn't pick AJ to do it with. Go for AK+ JJ+ or some garbage hand you can fold on the flop if you miss. (any 2 connected 45o or higher works well)

Picking hands that might be dominated the few times he has a real hand is suicide. When you 3bet a relentless stealer preflop from the blinds you are hoping he folds preflop, you don't wanna play the hand which is why you use hands that you'd normally fold but that have some kind of potential to hit the flop hard once in a blue moon. It makes it super easy to know what to do on the flop when you are called - and the extra chips you win with crap hands you'd normally fold helps pad the winrate a little.

Unless a villain is raising 50%+ of his button hands I just won't bother unless I get a top hand.

as played your CB is too big - just over 1/2 pot is plenty large enough in re-raised pots.

bsheck
02-23-2007, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you reraising AA/KK? If you don't 3bet light you basically turn those hands faceup. I used to be huge losers with both AA and KK until I started mixing in some lighter 3bets; that being said, I'd never ever 3bet AJo OOP against this kind of player. As a rule, you should only be 3betting for value when you think you're ahead of raiser's range, or when you think you have fold equity. Reraising AJo here is bad because even if you hit you're usually behind. I think that 3-betting a hand like low pocket pairs or suited connectors is very profitable, especially if villain has nitty tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, I'll raise light out of the blinds once in awhile so I don't become too predictable, but I don't make a habit of it. I definitely wouldn't do it with AJ though, maybe something like a medium pocket pair or suited connector.

Big Poppa Smurf
02-23-2007, 11:00 PM
check-folding this flop is fine, a decent 18/13 TAG doesn't call 3-bets light. The only part of his range you are ahead of here is AK.

Freelancer
02-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok I stopped reading about halfway through, some of you giving advice have the whole idea upside down.

First I'm going to give you a few 'rules' or idea's I use for c-betting after 3betting preflop;
1) I don't c-bet very large at all, my usual cbet in a raised pot (not 3bet pot) is 3/4---&gt;full pot bet. My usual c-bet in a 3bet pot is 1/2---&gt;3/4 pot. The reason is fairly logical, the pot is already very big so you don't NEED to bet bigger to get all the money in the middle. And this way I am also making more money on my cbet bluffs.
2) I am always c-betting on any board if;
-This is the first time I 3bet him.
-He called my 3bet 5 times before and folded to a cbet.
I am rarely c-betting on any board if;
-I 3bet him before but so far he folded each time PREflop.
-He has played back (calling my 3bet+cbet for the sake of this 'rule' also counts as 'played back') at me each time so far, I won't get caught raising these players light very often though its WAY better to tighten up against them. Note that these are the usual players at these stakes, however let me share a experience I had a while back;

I was sitting on a table with A tag and a few fish. The tag was sitting on my direct right and some fish on his right with a few more tags/lags on my left. Basically at this point I was in the 'god' seat because the tag on my left had a HUGE flaw. He was opening in the CO/btn about once every 2 rounds, but the amazing part was that each time I'd 3bet him he'd call my 3bet and neatly folded to my c-bet. We both where fairly deep so in his mind he was probably making money, but I got him EXACTLY where I wanted him. He was defining his hand as soon as he called my c-bet, I knew he'd have something and he allowed me to play perfectly after this. So he had the worsed of two worlds; I always 'knew' fairly well what his hand strength was and he was slowly bleeding money. So after a while of bleeding him dead (I made more of him that session than I made from the fishies) he suddenly called my c-bet, I was a bit shocked because he folded the last 15 times. I had a straight draw however (go me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and since I was in position I was able to check behind on the turn and lucky arse me I hit on the river. He bet into me on the river and I shoved on him, he obviously called me with his flopped set and I raked in a very nice pot for me at that time.
This story illustrates a few things;
1) The way my villain approached getting 3bet light is not optimal, your better of folding preflop or playing back light postflop.
2) 3bets are awesome /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
3) Take control of the action and keep in control. The entire time I felt like I was in control of the hand and I could 'force' him to react in a certain manner.
4) Picking a good seat is SO important, had I sat on his right I would never be able to do this properly. Table selection is important but seat selection is just as important (if not more so).
5) Even though 90% of the players you encounter are really crappy light 3bet targets, you just have to find that one villain to increase your profit (and believe it or not there are plenty at these stakes, you just need to find them)...
6) Your cards aren't THAT important, fairly sure I had J9s this particular hand...

Some other points;
1) You don't HAVE to 3bet light ever (TT+/AQ+ is totally fine) to make a great profit in these games.
2) If you do 3bet just about any hand will do, you are 3betting because you think he's folding (pre)flop often enough to show a profit. Now hands that can outflop other hands easily are preferable, hands such as small pairs and such are awesome to 3bet because if they hit they hit HARD. However hands like AJo are totally fine as well, ofcourse if I could pick I'd pick 22 over AJo, but since where in this situation and I can turn a profit with AJo here I'm going to 3bet it. One of the best things I learned so far is that in some situations your cards are nearly irrelevant. Your opponents are going to fold most of the times anyway, does it really matter what cards your going to muck at that point? Not really right, so why are you so desperately clinging on to certain hands to 3bet with?
Its the situation thats making this type of 3bet profitable, NOT the cards!!

This is some more advanced stuff and better suited for the higher games, its never wrong to think about it though and prepare for it whilst your still in a more 'cheaper' learning space.

boycalledroy
02-24-2007, 04:30 PM
This is no help to OP so sorry but, Freelancer that post is dynamite!