PDA

View Full Version : Why are YOU playing uNL?

weknowhowtolive
02-22-2007, 11:41 PM
What separates you personally from the next limit? If you are playing 25NL, why aren't you playing 50? The obvious answer is bankroll, but is there any other reason?

Maybe you have tried a jump and found the play to be too hard?

Maybe you want to make the jump but are worried about being outplayed?

What do you think separates a winning 200NL player on 2+2 from a winning 50NL or 100NL player?

Give me some good answers here besides bankroll, I'm very curious.

SNO FLAKE
02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
intelligence, balls, donkey factor,

br.bm
02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
"Maybe you have tried a jump and found the play to be too hard?

Maybe you want to make the jump but are worried about being outplayed"

Both are reasons for me. But the only real thing is >>>bankroll<<<.

spacetime
02-23-2007, 12:03 AM
bankroll

weknowhowtolive
02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]So if you had a 10k bankroll youd be fine at 400NL?

whoisthedrizzle
02-23-2007, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]So if you had a 10k bankroll youd be fine at 400NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be fine until I lost it

thac
02-23-2007, 12:17 AM
I lack the balls to shove $200 in on a total bluff.

weknowhowtolive
02-23-2007, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There it is. Thats more of what I was lookin for.

Do any of you ever read the hands in the SSNL/MSNL/HSNL forums? Check it out from time to time.

losingdonkey
02-23-2007, 12:24 AM
still working out my donk tendencies

bsheck
02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Mostly bankroll, though some of it has to do with tilt control. I've been able to win a decent amount at $25NL but made some cashouts instead of moving up. I'm pretty confident I could beat up to $400NL.

barryc83
02-23-2007, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
still working out my donk tendencies

[/ QUOTE ]

thac
02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do any of you ever read the hands in the SSNL/MSNL/HSNL forums? Check it out from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that I'm afraid to.. I still value money too much (I didn't until October.. now I'm total nit with my money).

And yeah I read HSNL/MSNL.. more interesting hands than here for sure.

findingneema
02-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Bankroll (grad student) and learning NL game. I've had success at limit.

bsheck
02-23-2007, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that I'm afraid to.. I still value money too much (I didn't until October.. now I'm total nit with my money).

And yeah I read HSNL/MSNL.. more interesting hands than here for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just do what I do. Put it all-in without thinking about the consequences and throw up after your opponent calls.

Gelford
02-23-2007, 12:46 AM
I can't keep quiet, this is dumb ... if you want to find out the difference between uNL and higher, just sit at a higher table ... instead of asking uNL'er what it takes to make it at higher stakes, if they knew, then they would play there as soon as they where rolled for it, but then you do not allow bankroll considerations aren't allow to be part of the answer.

IsaacAsimov
02-23-2007, 12:50 AM
I don't think It is necessary to bet your whole stack on a pure bluff @ nl 200.
I don't think I'd have a problem playing higher stakes though. I am just building my bank roll currently @ NL 50 and trying to learn a lot every time I play.

@ bsheck

You say you beat NL 25 for a decent amount and you think you could beat NL 400, why aren't you playing higher? The EV of not cashing out to play higher and then cashing out is better, because your hourly rate improves proportionally to the stakes you are playing.
I am avoiding cashing out anything at the moment.

holland3r
02-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Just starting to learn NL cash at nl 50. Successful 3/6 and 5/10 limit player but recently hit a bad stretch and decided to try something different. Hope to run well and move up.

bsheck
02-23-2007, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

@ bsheck

You say you beat NL 25 for a decent amount and you think you could beat NL 400, why aren't you playing higher? The EV of not cashing out to play higher and then cashing out is better, because your hourly rate improves proportionally to the stakes you are playing.
I am avoiding cashing out anything at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think I could beat $400NL, but that doesn't mean I would. I still have some things to work on, one being tilt control (which actually cost me my remaining online bankroll, so now I have to start over). Also, as a college student I needed the money, so decided to cash out my profit and stay at $25NL rather than move up.

I really believe though I have a strong understanding of the game, and this is a recent development, something that's come about in the last few months. I credit it to both playing experience but also largely to reading and rereading NLHTAP.

I plan on getting back in there real soon and taking a shot though. I've graduated and have a full time job, so I can afford to have a bankroll that I don't have to touch.

Jim14Qc
02-23-2007, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just starting to learn NL cash at nl 50. Successful 3/6 and 5/10 limit player but recently hit a bad stretch and decided to try something different. Hope to run well and move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was doing good at NL100-200 in FR and hit a bad stretch at it. I decided to rework my game and rebuild from NL50 6max up since I've always told myself I would learn 6max at some point and I'd have to start off at lower stakes. Might as well do it when those stakes are those I'd play in FR too /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, I'm OK with NL200 FR as far as the money goes, but NL400 and up I get sick in my stomach when I hit a bad beat (I've played a little NL400, but not much really, mostly in tilt moments)

IsaacAsimov
02-23-2007, 01:12 AM
In my opinion you can play the best poker when bank roll doesn't matter, so good luck with that!

weknowhowtolive
02-23-2007, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't keep quiet, this is dumb ... if you want to find out the difference between uNL and higher, just sit at a higher table ... instead of asking uNL'er what it takes to make it at higher stakes, if they knew, then they would play there as soon as they where rolled for it, but then you do not allow bankroll considerations aren't allow to be part of the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]What? Why is this stupid? I asked why people weren't moving up, I didn't ask what it takes to make it at higher limits.

Its a self evaluation and being able to point out WHY you're not moving up is helpful in fixing why.

So...thats dumb why?

dirtysanchez
02-23-2007, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mostly bankroll, though some of it has to do with tilt control. I've been able to win a decent amount at $25NL but made some cashouts instead of moving up. I'm pretty confident I could beat up to $400NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

no winrate at 25NL is enough to tell you that you can beat 400NL. or 200NL for that matter. its a completely different game and requires a vastly different skillset. not really pointing this out to blast you, but just as a general PSA that bankroll != skill or ability to beat the next level. so on the off chance someone wins an MTT and suddenly is rolled for higher stakes dont jump from uNL to MSNL immediately plz.

orange
02-23-2007, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
25nl is worlds away from 2/4.

thac
02-23-2007, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just as a general PSA that bankroll != skill

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy.

maccamack
02-23-2007, 05:00 AM
IMO - there is surprisingly little difference between $25NL and $100NL - however, there is big difference between $100 and $400 ergo -a monster difference between $25NL and $400NL.

Fimbulwinter did some good posts on moving up which you should search out....