PDA

View Full Version : QJc on button-Did I donk this up?

Spoofy
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I had been raising my buttons and CO continuously on this table. The SB villain on this table was solid, showing down good hands.
I felt that my table image was becoming LAG on the button, and that players were due to start playing back at me.
Here is the hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($48.90)
BB ($11.20)
UTG ($7.90)
MP ($5.60)
Hero ($8.75)
Button ($10.15)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($3.20) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

<font color="black"> </font> The raise left me with call of $1 into a pot of $2.25. My initial thinking was that I was being played back at...which after some reflection I realize was a bad read. This player would not have shown much aggression from the SB, and I should have known that.
Anyway, I called, getting 2.25-1, in position, and thinking (incorrectly) that I was being played at.

The SB's flop bet left me having to call $2.70 into a $5.90 pot, with a flush draw and inside str8 draw. I ended up pushing my remaining $7.25 into the pot. I hit the 10c on the river to win. Questions:
-If I know the SB to be solid, is this a fold preflop after his raise?
-Given my situation at the flop, is this a bad push? Is folding the better play?

jk1986
02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
shove

avfletch
02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I know the SB to be solid, is this a fold preflop after his raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your definition of solid is tight/nitty then I'd just muck this preflop. If you mean he's capable of loosening up against an obvious position raise and play back at your light then I'd take a flop with this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Given my situation at the flop, is this a bad push? Is folding the better play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having got to this point on the flop you can hope for a bit of fold equity against a hand like JJ but you're really not that badly off against even a nitty range given the flush and gutshot draws. I'd just shove there and be done with it.

allaboutmyfetti
02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
i don't think the pf call is going to be +EV in the long run.

as played i'd just shove the flop.

JBizzle104
02-22-2007, 02:27 PM
that preflop call is questionable but after doing so u must by all means shove that flop

JB

Spoofy
02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
The SB usually only showed aggression with good hands...and from his weak position I should have realized that my cards were likely in bad shape pre-flop.

When I first started out, I would normally fold the flop to that bet, so it's nice to see that I at least played this part correctly. Still need to correct my preflop decisions...Baby steps, baby steps....

BTW: the SB held AK offsuit.

RAHZero
02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Calling PF is pretty standard for me in position, but that's at higher stakes where 3-betting light is pretty common. Either way, you're getting good odds to take a flop here. If the RR had been to $2 or more, then I'd fold. As played, the flop is a standard shove. The only hand you really fear is KK, you have FE against QQ, JJ and TT and you're a very slight dog against AK/AA, which makes a push +EV with the money already in the pot.

orange
02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
given stack sizes, shove is fine with me. sometimes you'll get QQ and JJ to fold. AK never folds here (and probably shouldnt). if you guys were a bit deeper, i dont mind calling.

ama0330
02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
If you shove this flop you are never ever ever going to see a fold IMO not with your image and the preflop action. You are about 47% versus his range so the shove is okay given the dead money already in the pot but I dont agree with the idea that the shove should be for FE, I think villain folds this never.