PDA

View Full Version : Starting over AND getting a student !!

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
First of for everyone who doesn't know me;
I've been playing poker for 2 years or so now, and I have been playing seriously for the past 3 months. During these 3 months I quickly moved up from nl25 to nl200 (and even a bit of nl400). I've been posting on uNL and ssnl a lot in these 3 months although lately only at ssnl.

Now on to the plan;
1) I remove my entire bankroll excepth 1000$, this will be my starting bankroll for nl50. I have just started a small business (if anybody is interested in starting a business of there own in herbalife, send me a PM) and I want the money to be available in real life.
2) I am taking up a student that I basically teach everything I know, preferably some one who can play on party poker since I'll be playing there as well. I am doing this to force myself to explain the fundementals to a student and by doing so forcing myself to think them over again. This is mostly done for my personal development and it will be a nice challenge for myself. I am only going to take up a single student.
3) I will help you to identify your leaks and prepare you for each limit. We'll progress individualy based on standard bankroll requirements.
4) My personal goal is to be back at nl200 within a month.

The move up plan is;
1) At 20 buy ins for the next limit we start taking shots (so with 2000$ bankroll I start taking shots at 100nl).
2) If we drop to 25 buy ins for the previous limit we drop back down (so if I try to move up with 2000$ I move down again when I hit 1500$).
3) We will NEVER have less than 15 buy ins for the limit we are playing at.

Anybody who is interested in being my student please post in this thread the following;
1) What site do you play?
2) What limits do you play?
3) Experience?
4) Goals with poker (for instance what limits are you trying to reach)?
5) You need a drive to improve, this is WAY more important than your current skill level. I don't mind to explain everything twice as long as you listen and try to understand and build this into your game. If this doesn't work out the way I want, I will take up a different student (this is a last resort type of thing).
6) I am considering posting some of our conversations here in uNL and ssnl if they contain a good discussion, if you guys are interested in this anyway. Hmmm actually this might make a good pooh bah post where I basically record my students progress and the pitfalls we experience together.

Thank you for your time, I hope to get a lot of responces. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ps. I prefer that people post there responces in this thread so I have everything neatly together, I will send a PM if I want more information and I'll keep everyone updated in this thread.
Pss. I am going to keep posting in ssnl because that is my home after all, however I am going to make a effort to visit uNL a bit more often...
Psss. This will all be done over aim, so if you don't have it tough luck. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Pssss. This is completely free of charge. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fighter096
02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
This looks like a great idea for me to try. I have been playing poker for about 2 years. I play on PokerStars and I play at nl25. I have been reading 2+2 for about a year and this is my first post. I make very little profit playing poker right now but I am seriously interested in trying to improve my game and get up to where you are playing and beyond. PM me and we can talk.

skillzilla
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
1) What site do you play? Ultimatebet
2) What limits do you play? NL50
3) Experience? 10 months of limit HE, 2 months of NL
4) Goals with poker? Be a student of the game and one day be good enough to be able to sit in the biggest online games

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
@Fighter How many hands have you played so far and do you have PT?

@skillzilla Why did you switch from limit-->nl? Any success at limit and hows NL going so far?

Montezuma21
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Count me in!

I'm playing 25NL with a $500 bankroll. I genuinely feel i have a decent but not great feel for hand reading, but would really enjoy and benefit from some good theoretical discussion, which i feel is my weakest spot by FAR. my roll is currently on FTP but since i have Neteller it would be pretty easy for me to transfer to another site.

My goals are: to move beyond being a minor winner in the game to a point where i can feel really comfortable in my decisions at the table. i plan to keep playing and to move up as quickly as my bankroll and skill set allow.

fighter096
02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I just downloaded PT last week and haven't played much since i downloaded it. I played about 1000 hands since then.

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Count me in!

I'm playing 25NL with a $500 bankroll. I genuinely feel i have a decent but not great feel for hand reading, but would really enjoy and benefit from some good theoretical discussion, which i feel is my weakest spot by FAR. my roll is currently on FTP but since i have Neteller it would be pretty easy for me to transfer to another site.

My goals are: to move beyond being a minor winner in the game to a point where i can feel really comfortable in my decisions at the table. i plan to keep playing and to move up as quickly as my bankroll and skill set allow.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't mind me asking, but why the hell are you playing FTP when you can play on party? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Although I suppose the games at that lvl aren't that much weaker...

[ QUOTE ]
I just downloaded PT last week and haven't played much since i downloaded it. I played about 1000 hands since then.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you bought the program right? The free version is awesome, but not so usefull for what I'm trying to do here (the database will be to small very fast)...

Also to the rest of the forum;
Would you like me to compile each session into one big pooh bah post? It should give a decent idea of what a average uNL grinder goes through in his path to poker glory. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Miko
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Hmm.. how can I express how much I want some-sort of a mentor?

Oké, the one and only reason I want a mentor for (non-paid.. i'm not richy rich) is because I want to achieve as much as possible playing poker. But I think I can make more progress with some-sort of a mentor then without.

I don't know what to write to convince you... but heck, it's your dicision.

Limit? 25NL
Site? PartyPoker/Full Tilt
Hours/day? 2/3
Experience? Like 6 months, 1 month really serious.
Roll? 800$.

EDIT:

btw, I'm from Holland.

fighter096
[ QUOTE ]
So you bought the program right? The free version is awesome, but not so usefull for what I'm trying to do here (the database will be to small very fast)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought the full version about 3 hours ago.

skillzilla
[ QUOTE ]

@skillzilla Why did you switch from limit-->nl? Any success at limit and hows NL going so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

i eventually want to learn all forms of poker, i switched to NL because i wanted a little change, my main game is now NL but i ocassionaly play a session of limit. I played limit as high as 1/2, my NL25 winrate is 18 ptbb/100 (only 5000 hands though so im not really that confident) and NL50 winrate is 2 ptbb/100 (3000 hands)

corsakh
02-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Hello there, thanks for doing this.

Usual story, nothing exiting /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Started playing live freerolls a year ago. Followed by 20-50NL home games. Won a few hundred. Put $10 on PokerRoom. Run hot at 25PL. Busted. Realized I was doing something wrong. Went through tons of literature - Brunson, Harrington, Sklansky. Put some money on Party, starting with 5NL fullring. Started digging the forum. Got tracker and pahud. Run through some cardrunners videos, extremely helpful. Quickly moved up. Cashed out after the new year /images/graemlins/smile.gif Got some money on Tribeca and Stars (thanks iStrong /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Currently playing 10NL 6max on Tribeca. Ideally I see myself playing on Party and UB (mainly due to the software), but right now bankroll is the primary concern for me so perhaps I am going to bonus whore on Cryptos and Ongame in the nearest futue.

Basically my plan is to move up to 400NL within a year, making comfortable living from 4 tabling 20 hours a week while I study at the university. And, if everything goes the way I hope, become a 5/10 regular in 2 years time.

ps About 30k hands total at 7ptbb, mainly 10NL.

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm.. how can I express how much I want some-sort of a mentor?

Oké, the one and only reason I want a mentor for (non-paid.. i'm not richy rich) is because I want to achieve as much as possible playing poker. But I think I can make more progress with some-sort of a mentor then without.

I don't know what to write to convince you... but heck, it's your dicision.

Limit? 25NL
Site? PartyPoker/Full Tilt
Hours/day? 2/3
Experience? Like 6 months, 1 month really serious.
Roll? 800$.

[/ QUOTE ]
And where do you want to end up in say a year time? (goals are very important)

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought the full version about 3 hours ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome I hope you enjoy it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i eventually want to learn all forms of poker, i switched to NL because i wanted a little change. I played limit as high as 1/2, my NL25 winrate is 18 ptbb/100 (only 5000 hands though so im not really that confident) and NL50 winrate is 2 ptbb/100 (3000 hands)

[/ QUOTE ]
Those are actually quite decent winrates although a low sample size, nice work !!

[ QUOTE ]
Hello there, thanks for doing this.

Usual story, nothing exiting

Started playing live freerolls a year ago. Followed by 20-50NL home games. Won a few hundred. Put $10 on PokerRoom. Run hot at 25PL. Busted. Realized I was doing something wrong. Went through tons of literature - Brunson, Harrington, Sklansky. Put some money on Party, starting with 5NL fullring. Started digging the forum. Got tracker and pahud. Run through some cardrunners videos, extremely helpful. Quickly moved up. Cashed out after the new year Got some money on Tribeca and Stars (thanks iStrong . Currently playing 10NL 6max on Tribeca. Ideally I see myself playing on Party and UB (mainly due to the software), but right now bankroll is the primary concern for me so perhaps I am going to bonus whore on Cryptos and Ongame in the nearest futue.

Basically my plan is to move up to 400NL within a year, making comfortable living from 4 tabling 20 hours a week while I study at the university. And, if everything goes the way I hope, become a 5/10 regular in 2 years time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just curious, what kind of study are you doing at the university?

Miko
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
In a year time.. hmm.

I don't know what's reasonable.. But I guess at least 100/200NL. But I think with the effort I'm willing to put in (like I have anything else to do then poker while I'm injured (use to play soccer) and yes, I'm saying this to convince you) more is possible too. But that's dreaming for now. My goal is just to move up as fast and as good as possible.

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In a year time.. hmm.

I don't know what's reasonable.. But I guess at least 100/200NL. But I think with the effort I'm willing to put in (like I have anything else to do then poker while I'm injured (use to play soccer) and yes, I'm saying this to convince you) more is possible too. But that's dreaming for now. My goal is just to move up as fast and as good as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Having goals both in poker and life is very important for your development. With a goal you know what your working for and its like a present you get when you reach it (a sense of accomplishment).

I just noticed your also from the netherlands so thats a plus. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

corsakh
02-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Telecom engineering.

Shaqalicious
02-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Limit: Right now $10NL, I'm just about rolled for $25 and have had success taking my shots there.
Site: Bodog
Experience: Roughly 10 months of NL hold 'em, the past 4 months I've been playing seriously.
Goals with poker: By the time I graduate college (2 years from now), I'd like to be able to do this for a sustainable income and be able to support myself through exclusively poker if I have to.
Roll: $400

Basically, my short poker career goes like this. I used to donk around with the free $50 I could get from affiliates at party, but I didn't really know what I was doing. Since they've shut down, I've played on Paradise and Bodog. I've crushed the $10NL games for some time now, but I've had to cash out for various expenses so unfortunately I'm not rolled for higher stakes. I've been reading a ton of 2+2 and books when I get a chance, and I feel I've improved my game significantly. Most importantly, poker has become my #1 passion. I play probably 35-40 hours a week and enjoy every minute of it, as long as I'm not running horribly. I recently purchased a HUD that has helped me out tremendously. I'm able to identify which players I can get with calling down light, and who's raises I should respect more than others. I feel much more "in tune" with the game now than I ever have at any point in my life. OTOH, I still feel I could improve a lot and I know I have leaks in my game that need to be corrected.

I'd like to move up to $25NL within the next couple of weeks, and be at $50NL shortly thereafter, and continue to move up limits at a consistent pace. I'd definitely appreciate someone who I could correspond with regularly concerning hands I felt I misplayed, etc. So even if you don't choose me as a student, if I could still get in contact with you for some brief advice, that would help me out a lot.

-Shaqalicious

ADK
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
1) What site do you play? Ongame/Party
2) What limits do you play? NL25
3) Experience? Played for almost a year online now, seriously since Aug 06, still havent been able to move up from NL25.. roll around $800
4) Goals with poker? want to reach atleast NL100 by Easter (cant see it happening) and my aim is NL200/NL400, I'd love to be at one of these limits before the summer.

VPIP100
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Great idea, this will make someone really happy.

I am not looking for a mentor but more someone to have good discussions with, also someone who knows the stakes and how it feels to move up. Hmm. Same as a mentor I guess.

I started with poker 1,5 year ago at Everest Poker, played freeroll sng's there (limit) where you can win $0,05. I played 50 of them when I didn't know anything about poker and won like 20. Then I read HOH1 and 2, played a $200 freeroll and placed 6th out of 1000 and won $22. This put my roll at $25. I then played 2NL and went on a heather to $100, played 10NL till $250 and 25NL till 600. 50NL till $700 and then busto!

This sequence happened at least a dozen times. With limit, PLO, stud. Everytime I went busto (playing 200NL/PLO or above) I spend 2 months reading and learning and thinking: This time, I will do it right!

And here I am, reading and posting the last 4 months on 2p2. I started with a $15 gift from a friend a week ago and got it up $330 till now with decent winrates.

http://i19.tinypic.com/2d7j1jo.jpg

I can beat 25NL easily but don't have the roll for it just yet. But will have it in 2 weeks or so, untill then taking shots. I will grind 25NL till my BR becomes 1000/1200$ and try 50NL, which won't be to hard. After 3/4 months I want to be a 100NL regular with a roll of 3/4k. After a year, a 400NL reg or higher.

I'll take everything that is going to help me accomplish this.

SnappyJoe
02-22-2007, 11:09 AM

At the moment I'm playing at UB cause I'm trying to clear their signup bonus. I have played at Partypoker, Stars, Eurobet, Interpoker and Pokerplex before.

I just moved up to NL50 after spending a long time at NL10 and NL25. I'm currently breakeven over 8000 hands. I am a big bankroll nit so I've been overrolled for nl25 forever.

3) Experience?

I started playing poker two years ago during a vacation but I didn't know anything about poker except the rules, I quickly spent a couple of grands before I decided to become a student of the game. I started managing my bankroll and my first account was on Eurobet playing NL10 fullring, after beating that game thorougly I decided to try my luck at NL25 FR which also went ok! I even managed to uphold a decent ptbb/100 while 8 tabling. At around this point a friend of mine started punking me for playing fullring and I decided to make the shift from fullring to shorthanded play. I wasn't nearly as succesful but I decided to stick it out with the low (still positive) bb/100. I grinded a lot of hands and became more and more comfortable even though I did not win as much as I feel I should have. My bankroll was still growing steadily and about 10-14 days ago I switched to NL50 and Ultimatebet in order to play their 650$ bonus. And that's where I'm at now.

I am aiming for the stars, I wan't to be able to have a balla lifestyle while studying at the university which I'm doing atm. I strive for perfection and I want to reach my max potential be it NL400 or NL200000!

5) You need a drive to improve

I am a very dedicated player and I really, really want to improve! I have an optimal setup for poker and a desire to become the best.

6) I am considering posting some of our conversations here in uNL and ssnl if they contain a good discussion, if you guys are interested in this anyway.

Doesn't matter to me either way, I just want some tools to improve my play and beat the micros, ssnl and msnl!

Hope to hear from you! If you need personal information about me you can send me a pm.

Best wishes
SnappyJ

jetsetboy
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
deleted

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
To everyone;
I am reading everybody's responces so don't feel left out if I don't respond to you, I did read your post !!

@Shaq If you have a question regarding a certain situation or problem, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out. This goes for everyone btw. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you become my student I am going to tailor the advice and strategy discussion to you personally and I'll try to explain the more complicated parts of this game, so its not just talking about specific hands the overal eb and flow of the game is way more important (how to adapt vs certain players, metagame -once we get this far-, dealing with agression, changing gears etc. etc. etc.).
If you 'get' the game and why you take a certain line or action everything else starts to fall in its place and the correct line is way easier to find if you happen to get yourself in a tricky/new situation.

jetsetboy
02-22-2007, 11:12 AM

Mainly Party, sometimes FTP/PS

NL200 FR, NL400 FR if i can find a table

3) Experience?

On FR a lot, I have lost my pre-13oct db but since then, i played 110k hands of fr (Number of hands/WR: NL400: 1.8k/3.3 NL200: 72k/3.5 ; NL100: 37k/5.7).

A few "shots" in 6-max (NL200: 12.2k/0.6; NL100: 10k/2.2; NL50: 7k;5)

I try to play TAG and seems to be tight weak with some monkey tilt phases. I'm 24/18/2.7 in 6-max and 15/10/2.3 in FR.

I have a very good math backgroung (but i'm not a stat/proba geek).

I'm playing about 70h/month right now. My goals are (for the end of 2007):
_ Break even+ NL600 6-max on PP
_ 3PTBB+ NL1000 FR
_ 4PTBB+ NL400 6max on PP

When I tryed 6-max (in december) I had a very hard time to adapt to the aggression of the NL200 tables. This was a great experience and improved my game a lot. Since the beginning of the year I went back to FR to win $$ but right now I'm in a dead end as on PP there is nearly no action in FR NL400+ (5-12 tables ofNL200, 0-1 table of NL400, 0 table of NL600, 2-4 tables of NL1000 each evening EU time). Thus
I think I need to switch to 6-max.

5) You need a drive to improve, this is WAY more important than your current skill level. I don't mind to explain everything twice as long as you listen and try to understand and build this into your game. If this doesn't work out the way I want, I will take up a different student (this is a last resort type of thing).

I'm 32 and run my own business for a few years until July 06. We had a knid of "downsing" in business and I decided to give poker a try, and to take some time to define what I will do with my life. So far I manage to win the 3k/month I need to live and I decided that I'll play poker till the end of this year to see if I can win more. I need to improve my game and my discipline (stop tilting and becoming a calling station with marginal hand).

6) I am considering posting some of our conversations here in uNL and ssnl if they contain a good discussion, if you guys are interested in this anyway. Hmmm actually this might make a good pooh bah post where I basically record my students progress and the pitfalls we experience together.

That's fine.

Edit : Sorry I wanted to edit my first post because i mistyped a "bold" and quoted it instead. It resulted in a second post.

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 11:22 AM
How many hands have you played at FR jetset with what ptbb/100?

I forgot to mention but this is only for 6max, I am absolutely horrible at FR...

AndreasQ
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
About me: 24 years old, Danish and study medicine on 4. year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
party

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
50nl with a 1200$ roll

[ QUOTE ]
3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

2006: sngs and tournaments. up 6000$ total on that, withdrew and spent it all... Starting Nov 2006 i had some time off, and starting playing 25nl at FT. moved to UB and was playing 100nl in January. Won 2k over 25k hands in January. Moved to party for tax reasons in feb, and started loosing. Down 1600$ over 13k hand in feb.

I dont know if I ran ultra hot at UB, or if I just cant adjust to party players, but i've moved down to 50nl to get my game together again. Sometimes I think that I lack some fundamentals, and that I could crush the games if I learn the basics.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

200nl by the end of april
400nl by the end of june and
600nl by the end of august.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting mid-march untill september I'm going to play full time, and poker is going to be my only source of income. I simply cannot allow myself to fail.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine by me.

-AndreasQ

jetsetboy
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How many hands have you played at FR jetset with what ptbb/100?

I forgot to mention but this is only for 6max, I am absolutely horrible at FR...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really need a FR mentor (not that I can not improve my game but i'm allready way above the NL200 FR players field). I want a 6-max mentor that's why I'm answering, the fact that this offer was 6-max oriented was quite obvious /images/graemlins/wink.gif

About the number of hand, FR lifetime I don't really know. If I think my first NL cash game was in March 05 or something. I'd say something like 200k hands. I have lost my old database so the only figures that I'm sure of are in the first post.

PS : I'd love to discuss how the aggression of 6-max game could be use in FR with a good 6-max player. I stole "concepts" such as raising pp and 3bet light to the 6-max game and I used its in FR with great success. I'm sure there are much more moves and line that can be use successfully.

Montezuma21
02-22-2007, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Count me in!

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't mind me asking, but why the hell are you playing FTP when you can play on party? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

is Party really that much softer for the 25NL-100NL levels?

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Picking a student is going to be harder than I imagined lol. If you don't get picked, Im still going to post the conversations so you can pick something out of that and you can always send me a PM with a question and I'll try to answer it. Just don't flood me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

M4in
02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Played NL for about 2.5 months now, before that about 2 months of limit...
I ran sick hot on 2NL, 5NL, 10NL, and then went on to 25NL. Had a bit more trouble on that level but moved on to 50NL after a couple weeks of grinding. I feel my grasp of the game is getting better with every hand I play, and my main focus for this month is to grind out as much hands as I can and take next month to cut back on the multitabling and prepare myself for more quality play.

Played about 26.9k 50NL hands this month, 1200d profit or so. Most of it comes from Party Poker. Setting myself up for next month with datamining and getting used to the usage of statistics.

My goals are pretty simple, buying a nice motorcycle at the beginning of May, playing NL200 at least by the end of next year.

It's nice that your doing it for free though, dutchies don't like to pay money :P

P.S. Very flexible in playing and discussion time, day/night...

Maneh
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Party
NL50
SNG $11
3) Experience?
4 months learning poker before start
6 months playing.
Reach NL200 in 6 months
Make about $2000 playing about 60 hours per month

kbrat
02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey I'm interested in your offer because I am in the same kind of situation as in I'm starting over at 50NL after having reached 200NL a while back.

About me: 20 uni student in the uk, speak both french and english.

I've been playing poker for a year now, started with freerolls on most sites that proposed them in january of 2006. Started playing real money limit in may of 2006 went from the micros up to 3/6 limit with a $50 starting BR. In november of 2006 I started playing 25NL, and moved up quickly through the limits. I was playing 200NL(just scratched the surface) by the start of January, but took a break while cashing out most of my winnings. I have started playing again a week ago and am switching between 50NL and 100NL, and would like to be able to discuss what I'm doing right or wrong with someone else.

I like to move up quickly, and am very aggressive with my "shot-taking" and 10BIs is enough for me, but I can adapt.

-Pokerstars, party poker

-50NL/100NL

3) Experience?
Listed above, limit up to 3/6, NL up to Nl200

Reaching mid stakes, NL600 and NL1k

-Motivation is something I sometimes lack but right that is not the case at all, and i've got my mind on improving and this seems like the ideal path.

-I'm ok with it.

InfectorGadget
02-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Party Poker, Stars or Full Tilt

25NL 6-max

3) Experience?
Started playing poker two years ago and found this website shortly after buying Small Stakes Holde'Em. Played much the first 6 months and made decent profit and where ready to take shots at 100NL, but then came bonuses and military service, and I didnt have time to play all that much anymore. So while in the army I just bonuswhored for a year straight which were much more profitable for a uNL player and made much moola. Last 6 months Ive been trying to play more, but some personal problems hindered me from playing as much as I needed to progress as a player. Now Im ready to take it seriously again and I want to reach higher than before.

Money is not the issue, I make enough sportsbetting to support myself, this is more for the challenge sake, though I wont mind the money at higher limits /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I see myself at 200NL or 400NL in a year, maybe higher, but that is my main goal for the year.

And also I guess it will be easier to be motivated to play when we are "partners" as one always wants to beat the other or feel one has to do something for the other, so ya, I feel its easier when your not alone at the thing you do.

Hope to hear from you and good luck!

RedJoker
02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I’m playing E10nl on IrishEyes, I won E20 from a sponsorship deal that they have with our university poker society and ran it up. I’ve been playing poker for about 3 years live (mostly tournaments) and made the switch to online about a year ago. I’m trying to build a bankroll at the moment, currently at E180.

I used to play GBPnl25 on Betfair, I was way underrolled but took off E550 profit for various expenses before I busted.

I have 11k hands on pokertracker at 10nl, at 5.81BB/100. I play a LAGish style, (46.64, 17.24, 2.45). I’m trying to get the most out of pokertracker at the moment and it would be great to have somebody explain it and point out leaks in my game, etc. I took a shot at 20nl, ran at -19.11 BB/100 over 500 hands and dropped back down.

I’ve done lots of reading, HOH 1 & 2, Super System 1 & 2, caro’s book of poker tells, TOP, PPLTP, and some others. I’m currently reading Mathematics of Poker and Secrets of professional Pot Limit Omaha. (Been playing PLO for about a year).

I’m studying Financial Mathematics in University (4 year course), currently in my second year. I have a very strong background in maths and finance. I have an online brokerage account and started a portfolio after cashing in a large (E220 entry) tournament. I’m trading LEAPs and doing well. If you had any questions about investing, etc. I could probably help you out.

Feel free to ask anything you want.

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

is Party really that much softer for the 25NL-100NL levels?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can only really speak for the 100nl+ limits but those are heaven compared to stars/ftp. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am going to try and push my student towards the 100/200nl limits and party is awesome for that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have 11k hands on pokertracker at 10nl, at 5.81BB/100. I play a LAGish style, (46.64, 17.24, 2.45). I’m trying to get the most out of pokertracker at the moment and it would be great to have somebody explain it and point out leaks in my game, etc. I took a shot at 20nl, ran at -19.11 BB/100 over 500 hands and dropped back down.

[/ QUOTE ]
This part stood out for me in your post, just a reminder that 46/17/2ish is not lag thats a tag who's limping to much.

My stats of 25/23/3 or so is closer to laggish. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

rewket
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Party Poker

NL10

3) Experience?
I used to play nl25 to nl100 a year ago, I had a 1k roll and went busto because of lack of knowledge and tilt.
I got a free 50$ recently and ran it up to 120$ on absolute, then to 500$ on stars (12bb/100) all at nl10
Took a shot at nl25(nitfest), lost 125$(just bad run i played ok, wouldnt of happened w/ party donks id bet). Now im just rebuilding it back to nl25

4) Goals with poker (for instance what limits are you trying to reach)? I went to play nl200 actively, that is the limit that i like the most since it is there where theres enough bad players to be profitable and 200$ is good money.

I have an iq of over 145 (mensa) im very logical but i cant critizies MYSELF, i very often need someone to make me realise my mistakes. I do learn fast though. Im not going back to school till september and lately i have not had a job so i have got as much time as you need

Thank you for considering me and sorry for the grammar, im hungover /images/graemlins/smile.gif

im ~22/20/2.5 i love RAZZ and plo aswell

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party, FTP, UB. Mainly UB clearing sign-up.
According to my current feel I prefer games this way:
UB > Party > FTP.

50NL 6m

3) Experience?
About 1 year. Started with limit, moved to NL about 9 months ago. Moved up to 100NL, played alright and ran well, then played worse and ran horrible, moved down again. Ran even worse for a while stopping my momentous downswing eventually.
Rebuilding until now and will continue to do that as soon as I get my internet in the new apartment (about 2 weeks to go).

I'm trying to generate enough cash to finance my 2 month trip to SA (September) and while being there paying my bills playing 100 or (hopefully) 200NL part time.
Aside from that, my goal is to become a regular at 200NL by the end of the year.

5) How much time/hands do you plan on investing? (I'm sure you wanted to ask this)
I'm aiming to play an average of 2 hours per day, probably in 2 sessions (45min almost every morning, ~1.5h most evenings, around 2-4h on weekend days).
4 tabling most of the time, probably switching to 6 tables later on.
My goal is to play 15k hands per month minimum. 20k would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Copy pasting this from a PM I got from kazana.

tony318
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Hello Freelancer,

I play 50NL on Party with a $1,200 Bankroll. I have been playing poker for 3 years but only recently have I started to seriously try to improve my game. On January 1st, 2007 I began playing 25NL 6-Max with a $500 Bankroll. Over 15,000 hands at 25NL I won at a rate of 6ptbb/100. I have recently moved up to 50NL 6-Max on Party and I am winning 5.51ptbb/100 over my first 10,000 Hands. I would like to get to 200NL in the next 2 Months, and I am confident in taking shots. I have mainly been reading posts in the Master Sticky at this point in time, but I have posted a couple of hands in uNL. Right now I feel that i may be missing a lot of value in certain situations, and I am really focused on mastering the fundamentals so that I may improve and move up in stakes. I hope I have the qualifications to be considered.

Thanks,

tony318

tufat23
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
jetsetboy:

i need some FR pointers. i'll teach u some 6-max stuff, maybe a some kinda swap deal

others:

this is a great opportunity for you all. freelancer is a good player and i'd estimate that if u work seriously and put in the hours, the coaching is worth several thousands of dollars.

Freelancer
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jetsetboy:

i need some FR pointers. i'll teach u some 6-max stuff, maybe a some kinda swap deal

others:

this is a great opportunity for you all. freelancer is a good player and i'd estimate that if u work seriously and put in the hours, the coaching is worth several thousands of dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, thanks for the kind words.

People; I gotta run now, later. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Panic__NL
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi Freelancer,

First of all, thanks for doing this, whoever will be your student, I think he will be very grateful to you. Then some info about me. To start of some general info. I am a 27 year old student Civil engineering at the Technical university of Delft, yep the netherlands( heard that was a pre).
then about my pokerhistory, I copied this from my blog, where u can read more about my development.

I started playing poker in September 2006. I became interested when I watched some poker programs on TV, like Monday Night Poker. I started playing at PartyPoker for play money and as we all know this is crap. You absolutely learn nothing from playing with play money. You can better play the lottery and you will learn more. Although it frustrated me you cant learn the basics of poker by playing for play money, my interest in the game grew. I searched the web and found a dutch poker site, pokernews.nl, where they offered a $50 bankroll without a deposit on PartyPoker. Next to that Party offered to increase this $50 with $25 after you played 750 raked hands. So my bankroll as well as my "poker career" was born.
At this time I never read a book about poker and hardly ever read any forum about poker. So as you probably can predict, after about a month my whole $75 bankroll was lost. I played some cashtables on too high limits, didn't know anything about the game really and failure was unavoidable.
But this didn't diminish my interest for poker, only my spending power. I searched for other ways to get free money and found it at Everest Poker. They offer free S&G's where you can win up to 5 whole cents. After winning 5 cents you can play a S&G for 5 cent and win 20 cent. I planned to play as the 5 cent tables till i got 1 dollar, 10 times the next buyin of 10 cents.
In about 2 months I played about 200 S&G's and reached the 50 cent table by applying my plan. My bankroll reached $4,85 with a total ROI of 24%.
Ofcourse this is nothing spectacular, but I think I learned a lot by playing as much as i did. Next to that I bought my first 2 books. First The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky and second Harrington on Holdem by Dan Harrington. Both excellent books, the first about poker in general, the second about tournament play.
Then on the first of December PartyPoker gave me $15 for free, to stimulate me to play on their site again. Because I learned discipline is an very important factor in playing winning poker, I decided to play as disciplined with this $15 on Party as I did on Everest. And it worked. Part of sticking to this discipline was playing more tables at once. I started with 2 then 3 and now play 4 at a time. Some of you might wonder if this was a wise thing to do, I think it was. It prevents me from playing crap hands in bad position. It is better to concentrate on a good hand at 1 of 4 tables than to play crap hands at one table, cause you are getting bored.
Another fact that improved my game was the use of Pokeroffice, a great tool that keeps track of the hands you play and the way your opponents play. I first downloaded the trial version, but it only tracks about 300 hands. I was quickly convinced this tool would be a great addition, so I bought it. And I can say it was worth every cent.
I played at the NL5 tables and managed to win $313 in December in almost 24000 hands. I even took a shot at the NL10, but this was not a great success. I lost $45 in about 1700 hands.
So I decided to stay at NL5 to learn more about cashgaming.
In January I kept playing at the NL5 tables. Up till now I played 9500+ hands and won $200. 1 short session of only 50 hands at NL10 doubled my buyin and won $10.
I also started to read another book in January, it is Weighing the Odds by Yao. A very interesting and mathematical book.

So there is some background. At the moment I am playing on Titan and partypoker NL10, FR as well as 6max, especially the switch to 6max is hard I think.
My goals in poker is first of all to improve in the game and move up in the limits. To support my self and hoepfully to give others a good reading I have a blog panicnl.blogspot.com. Since this month I am setting goals for my self in terms of BR improvement winrate and number of hands played.
I know that an essential part of poker is the money, and I certainly understand that without money at stake the game would not be what it is. BUT I dont play the game for money, I play the game cause I like it, the decision making, the information collecting, the puzzle you ahve to solve every hand. And offcourse when you can buy some nice stuff at the end that is great but not the main reason I play this game.

any questions please shoot.

pureklas
02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I think this is an awesome idea. I also think that whoever you choose should then be prepared to do this same for someone else......share the love /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I have been playing poker for 1.5 years, playing Nl for about 7 months. I play in the evenings after work and although I have read some of the main books i dont feel like I have grasped the concepts fully.

I currently play at absolute but have no qualms playing on party. I have a current roll of 1100. I play NL50 mostly but have been trying to take shots at NL100 all week (underolled I know) which has lead me to question my understanding of the game.

My main goal in poker is to be successful at it, to continue to make improvements in my game and to maximise my full potential...... the skys the limit : )

In short I would love this opportunity if not by you then another 2+2er or maybe even your protege.

Good luck to both of you.

RedJoker
02-22-2007, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This part stood out for me in your post, just a reminder that 46/17/2ish is not lag thats a tag who's limping to much.

My stats of 25/23/3 or so is closer to laggish. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok; like I said I'm still trying to learn how to use PokerTracker. My auto rate system (can't remember where I got it from now) put me under LA.

I make a conscious effort not to limp, I think I must be misplaying the blinds. From all others postions my PFR is over half of my VPIP.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/480/statshz8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks for responding.

Kramer
02-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Freelancer!
Very nice of you do to this!

1.What site do you play?
I have accounts at InterPoker , BetSafe , SuntPoker , Party Poker(I'll deposit there in a few days)
Main bankroll(1500$) is at BetSafe(Cryptologic).They have a nice bonus so I'll take a shot at it

2. What limits do you play?
I play 25NL.

3. Experience?
About 4000-5000 SNGS
2-3 top 3 finishes in the SNG leardboars at Betfair Poker(stakes <10$)
Won a BAPT(Betfair Asia Poker Tour) package for 8000$ but I sold that
At 25NL only 6000-7000 hands

4. Goals with poker
Have a good understanding of the game(cash) and move up in stakes .
I don't have a $$$ goal.I just want to play well,understand more things that people talk in Small Stakes forum and move up.
I've finished with school and until may I have a lot of time to dedicate to poker.And after that a lot more ...:D

jetsetboy
02-22-2007, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jetsetboy:

others:

[/ QUOTE ]

Deal ! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nickerbocker
02-22-2007, 04:13 PM
FullTilt currently. But I have accounts on all the major sites.

Mostly 50NL. I went on quite the streak the past couple weeks and won a bit of money but I have terrible bankroll management. I plan on moving down to 25NL, today actually, with a set bankroll so I can chart my progress

3) Experience?
About 1 year off and on. Im basically dirt poor right now because of...how do you say...complications with my ex-girlfriend? I moved from Colorado to Cali in July with 3 boxes, the clothes on my back and a mountain of debt and poker was the least of my concerns. Recently I've started to get back off my feet and with my extra money I've been making pretty good strides in my poker career and have been playing pretty much every day, 2-8 hours, for the past month.

Hopefully with solid bankroll management I plan to move up to the 200NL within 6 months. When I moved back to Cali I told myself I was going to get my [censored] together so that I could enter 1 event at the WSOP and that is still my goal. I take online poker very seriously but with all the legislation I mostly consider it practice for the B&M which I evnetually hope to frequent daily.

5) My drive.
I have alot of drive. A true student. I think poker is a fascinating game and I want to learn all there is to know about it. I've read a couple of the classics (Theory, Super System etc.) many, many times but could never quite grasp exactly what they were saying. When my roommate came to me one day and told me he wanted to learn how to play I jumped on the opportunity. I taught him everything I knew and it helped me immensely. I went back and read those books again and I found out that after teaching him some of the concepts that I actually finally began to understand them myself. I remember reading through super system one day and I was blown away that I not only understood the concepts he was explaining but I was applying them to my game. My game did a total 180 since then and I went from a loser/breakeven to a winning player.

6) I am considering posting some of our conversations...
sounds good to me

7)Things I need to improve on.
Im adding this category because I think if you're going to teach somebody they need to identify their weaknesses.

Mostly what I need to improve on is trusting myself and being able to lay down a losing hand...These two go hand in hand if you ask me. There are many times where I KNOW im beat and yet I call anyways. One of the toughest things to do for an aspiring poker player is to lay down big hands that are clearly beat. Again, im getting better but I know I still need work.

Bankroll management is another thing im currently working to improve by logging hours played/win rate etc. And also setting limits for myself. I will frequently get up big but not quit because I just love to play and im willing to risk breaking even for 2 more hours of hands. I know that isnt the formula for a winning player though and that prevents me from moving up in limits.

Alright thats about it.
Thanks for the time,
Nick Jenkins

Everlong
02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Panic_NL:

I enjoyed reading your post and am impressed by your resolve.
GL in your poker career - I am sure you will do well!

weknowhowtolive
02-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Awww man this would be sweet since i recently started playing again and would love to have someone to help me get back in, but I plan on starting at $10NL once I actually play. I'm currently trying to play from $0 but if that doesnt work i'll pop $100 on FT.

But anyway.

1. FT, or PokerStars.

2. 10NL.

3. Some SnG, very little MTT, and I went from 10NL to 20NL to 25NL to 50NL, then quit because I was very frustrated with the way I was playing.

4. I want to be able to comfortably play at about 200NL or better, and would like to build a bankroll big enough to play live a well.

GittyUP
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
) What site do you play?
UB and Stars

50NL and 100NL (6max on both). I just took 2 months off withdrew all of my $$. Just deposited $500 last week now up to 1.1k and looking up and beyond at 50NL.

3) Experience? 3 years playing a lot then none (say 10K hands a week for months then none for months)

Have a nice side hobby and cash flow. I plan on opening a business in the next year or so but in the next 5 months plan on playing fulltime. NL200 or NL400. I dont plan on making this my life savings account as other investments in the real world are a bit more stable... so BR would limit my level.
5) My drive is why Im here posting. I constantly am trying to improve, learn, and expand my poker knowledge.

I am a fairly experienced winning player (not as much as I'd like) and I hope a coach like this would benefit both of us.

SpecT
02-22-2007, 04:29 PM
dear sir, pick me

1) partay bitches
2) 100nl - ive been stuck there way too long
3) played for 3 months. 60K hands/month
4) 1knl would be nice, although id settle for 400nl
5) yeh i listen
6) yeh ok

i know im 100nl, but at party that doesnt really mean a whole lot. ive been tryin to move up to 200nl for 2 months now, and nothing is working. so basically yeh, ur coaching would be really good for me coz ive only been playing for like 3 months and ive got lots of leaks in my game

ty /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jonyy6788
02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who is interested in being my student please post in this thread the following;
3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Ultimate Bet/FT/Stars---UB right now
2) Currently NL25 6max, NL50 shortly
3) NL50 6max since October 2006, NL100 for a couple weeks in Dec., played full ring for over a year and 1/2----I've cashed out a bunch to pay for school and had a huge losing weekend at NL50 that sent me to NL25. I shouldn't be too difficult to coach (cut down my stupid high-variance plays and stop tilt) and make me stop turning my hands with showdown into bluffs.
4) Wanna reach NL100 ASAP, pwn them and grind it out at NL200

allaboutmyfetti
02-22-2007, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) ftp
2) 50NL mostly, shots at 100NL

3) Played limit for a long time, this summer I got sick of 2/4- 3/6 limit, started playing 25NL in party, moved up to 50NL and played 100NL (rolled for from limit experience) when I felt like it. Cashed out, moved to filltilt with a $600 br, played some 50NL with failed attempts at 100NL.

4) Get better, play higher games and win at these games (as fast as possible). I dont depend on poker to eat or pay rent, so I just want to improve as much as possible and be a winner in tougher games. Making $ is also good, but I'd rather play tougher games and improve than zombie-12-table 50NL, even if that means a lower win-rate.

5) sounds good

6) ok

tman7373
02-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Freelancer,

Let me begin by saying that this is a very admirable endeavor. As I'm sure is the case with many, I often find myself overtaken with the allure and thrill poker provides, forgetting that the true beauty is in the challenge and constant evolution of ability. To be truly successful (and to avoid certifiable insanity) it is imperative that one approach the game with humility, and a genuine desire to improve. You seem to encapsulate this mindset perfectly, as does the majority of this community.

Now, with my two-bit philosophy out of the way, let me get down to business. I have been playing poker for the better part of 3 years. While my original knowledge was developed in the physical world, the majority of my experience and second level developement has taken place online. I have played on almost all major sites, but consider PokerStars to be my home. I have played almost every level up to 1000NL, but would lable myself as a low-to-mid-stakes player. As of late I have had numerous expenses (the majority of which being tuition) and have had to reevaluate my financial outlook with regards to poker. This has landed me focusing almost primarily on shorthanded 50/100NL games on PokerStars. There was a period of about 3 months during the tail-end of 2006 during which I was averaging 7500+ hands daily 12 tabling 50/100NL.

The conclusion reached from excessive play: bad news. I began to realize that numerous leaks were devloping due to the lack of concentration. I became very prone to tilt and was very unhappy with the way things were heading.
Enter your post. Reading your post convinced me to mimic your plan, but out of a different motivation. While you are rebuilding driven by personal satisfaction, I, on the other hand, feel as if I've forgotten all of the lessons each hand has taught me. As for my proposal--

While you may not consider me to be the most apt pupil, I believe that, by completing an identical challenge to your own, we could have a reciprocal student-teacher relationship that would yield incredible benefits for both of our games. I feel like I have a lot to gain from your dedicated attitude, and hope I, too, have something to share.
As far as specfics go, I am more than willing to play any site that allows Americans. My optimal starting level would be 50NL, and proper bankroll is not really an issue. That's all for now, good luck with your search, and again, kudos.

Tman

DWarrior
02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FTP now. Live in US, so no party, getting RB so no reason to move around.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
4-table $50nl

Last year I pretty much played $100nl majority of the time, but I was extremely inconsistent. I think in the end I was like 1 or 2 bb/100, but I did not feel like I belonged at those stakes. I think my game is a lot better now though.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
Began playing ~3 years ago, immediately started reading books and read anything I could get my hands on. I think my biggest mistake is not sitting down to think about what I've read, I should probably have spent an equal time analyzing the ideas as I did reading about them. I was able to make reasonable income a couple of years ago from poker, but I lived with my parents, and they'd never let me play enough, they thought it was a waste of time. I probably put in 200-300k hands online over the past 2.5 years. Last year was kinda weird, I only logged maybe 40k hands and generally did not do anything poker. Looking to come back now. Member of CardRunners, watched all the low-stakes videos. I think I have a good idea of the basic concepts. Currently beating $50nl for 4bb/100. For some period of time, I tried to reduce poker down to a formula. Right now, I want to learn how to "play poker".

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Earn a living. My parents aren't paying for anything, and minimum wage is $7.50 before taxes. It's pretty easy to earn enough at the moment to pay the bills as a student (10k hands/wk 6bb/100 after rb at 50nl). I’ve only been executing this plan for 1 week so far though. I’ll also be getting a coach once I double my bankroll (like you, I started with $1k, currently $200 away). I don’t know if this will conflict with your proposition.

My goal is to beat 200nl for 4bb/100 before rakeback, 4-tabling 10k hands/wk.

I may look to expand into other games in the future. SH Limit looks fun, as does PLO and O8. SNGs also. I'm having enough trouble motivating myself to stick with HE at the moment though, so I don't want to spread myself thin.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Self-ad sticky on my monitor pretty much sums it up: “Now that I play poker well, I can finance other personal growth projects.” I want to be able to afford self-improvement courses and endeavors without having to worry about finances.

My number 1 problem is lack of drive in everything I do. I think it kept me from progressing as a player for the past 3 years because I think I'm definitely capable of playing much higher levels. Same goes for basically everything in my life, and I want to change that.

The other obvious drive I already mentioned, need to stay unbusto.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but if I come up with a theorem, I want it credited to me.

Finally, I think this will be useful as a way of forcing myself to review my game (something I don't do at the moment) and also analyze the strategies I read (like I said before, also something I don't do nearly as much as I would like).

kaz2107
02-22-2007, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Abso... US resident /images/graemlins/frown.gif so no party
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
6 tabling 100/nl but not havin n e where near the results i want (considering movin down to work on some stuff at 50nl while i work on opening up my game not sure as of right now tho)

[ QUOTE ]
3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
started off with sngs at the begining of last year. got sick of them and moved to cash games in the summer. been grindin since. killed 50nl for 8.5bb/100 my last 30k hands but am now straggling along at 100nl at a measly 2.5bb/100.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i wanna b beating 400nl by the time the semester is over. so that means movin up to 200nl rather soon like within a month or so. and then take it from there but deffinatly wanna get to 400nl sometime in the nearer future.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i work extremely hard and am willing to put lots of hands and lots of time to play. i have no problem playin 30 hours a week. and obv spend more time studying and working on my game to get to where i wanna be.

pick me HOLLA

Freelancer
02-23-2007, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me begin by saying that this is a very admirable endeavor. As I'm sure is the case with many, I often find myself overtaken with the allure and thrill poker provides, forgetting that the true beauty is in the challenge and constant evolution of ability. To be truly successful (and to avoid certifiable insanity) it is imperative that one approach the game with humility, and a genuine desire to improve. You seem to encapsulate this mindset perfectly, as does the majority of this community.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome words you used there, glad my english is decent. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
A interesting read nonentheless. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I think this will be useful as a way of forcing myself to review my game (something I don't do at the moment) and also analyze the strategies I read (like I said before, also something I don't do nearly as much as I would like).

[/ QUOTE ]
Forcing myself to review my game is one of the main reasons I do this, with a student I have to explain my philosophy about the game and how I think about it. And the best way to internalize something is to explain it.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok; like I said I'm still trying to learn how to use PokerTracker. My auto rate system (can't remember where I got it from now) put me under LA.

I make a conscious effort not to limp, I think I must be misplaying the blinds. From all others postions my PFR is over half of my VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Send me a PM and I'll give you some pointers that should get you in the general direction, note some of my advice is maybe not spot on for the low limits but usefull nonentheless (I haven't played there a while now so I need to get a feel for the games first)...

[ QUOTE ]
7)Things I need to improve on.
Im adding this category because I think if you're going to teach somebody they need to identify their weaknesses.

Mostly what I need to improve on is trusting myself and being able to lay down a losing hand...These two go hand in hand if you ask me. There are many times where I KNOW im beat and yet I call anyways. One of the toughest things to do for an aspiring poker player is to lay down big hands that are clearly beat. Again, im getting better but I know I still need work.

Bankroll management is another thing im currently working to improve by logging hours played/win rate etc. And also setting limits for myself. I will frequently get up big but not quit because I just love to play and im willing to risk breaking even for 2 more hours of hands. I know that isnt the formula for a winning player though and that prevents me from moving up in limits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will get into there weaknesses and leaks once I picked a student, but nice thinking to include it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
(I am assuming everyone still playing at uNL has leaks, I have them as well after all)

[ QUOTE ]
dear sir, pick me

1) partay bitches
2) 100nl - ive been stuck there way too long
3) played for 3 months. 60K hands/month
4) 1knl would be nice, although id settle for 400nl
5) yeh i listen
6) yeh ok

i know im 100nl, but at party that doesnt really mean a whole lot. ive been tryin to move up to 200nl for 2 months now, and nothing is working. so basically yeh, ur coaching would be really good for me coz ive only been playing for like 3 months and ive got lots of leaks in my game

ty

[/ QUOTE ]
Muhaaa I already got you on AIM (not that your excluded now /images/graemlins/tongue.gif), hit me up and we'll talk some strategy or something. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So there is some background. At the moment I am playing on Titan and partypoker NL10, FR as well as 6max, especially the switch to 6max is hard I think.
My goals in poker is first of all to improve in the game and move up in the limits. To support my self and hoepfully to give others a good reading I have a blog panicnl.blogspot.com. Since this month I am setting goals for my self in terms of BR improvement winrate and number of hands played.
I know that an essential part of poker is the money, and I certainly understand that without money at stake the game would not be what it is. BUT I dont play the game for money, I play the game cause I like it, the decision making, the information collecting, the puzzle you ahve to solve every hand. And offcourse when you can buy some nice stuff at the end that is great but not the main reason I play this game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its amazing but your story and the way you think about the game sounds exactly like me, you'll get there on your own. But as usuall this doesn't mean your excluded. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is an awesome idea. I also think that whoever you choose should then be prepared to do this same for someone else......share the love

[/ QUOTE ]
This is actually a good idea, I'll ask whoever I pick to coach some one in return and hopefully creating a chain reaction. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

To everyone;
I am getting more responces (from people I didn't totally expect them from as well) than expected, to make the selection process a bit easier for me I am going to pick 5-10 people on monday (the application will be closed than). With those people I'll talk a bit on aim, after that I'll narrow it down to a single person.

Panic__NL
02-23-2007, 08:00 AM
"Its amazing but your story and the way you think about the game sounds exactly like me, you'll get there on your own. But as usuall this doesn't mean your excluded. " QUOTE

I certainly do not hope so :-)
Although you think my approach to the game is good, that does not mean I dont have anything to learn. But whoever you choose is fine to me, I hope I will make at least the final 5-10. Good luck with the selection.

Supwithbates
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
3) Experience?

1) United States, so only pokerstars unfortunately.
2) 10NL and 25NL, almost exclusively 6max. I used to play pure 25NL but through a running bad and withdrawals I'm down to about 18 buyins now and have moved down to 10NL to rebuild.
3) I enjoy poker very much and want to master the game. Obviously, the money is nice, but the drive to play perfectly is most important for me. For this reason I much enjoy higher stakes if I can afford it, because usually the money isn't entering into my thought process because I'm viewing everything in terms of BBs and pot odds.
4) I've been lurking/posting here way too much for the past year. I mostly have played tournaments in the past and have been very successful in low buyins like 1$ MTTs and 4/180s (about 1k$ in profit with 100% ROI). I'm up and down in uNL ring games, and about breakeven through 20k hands over my lifetime. (I mostly only 2table, my play starts to suffer past 3). I play very aggressively when possible, and like to adjust to table dynamics, mixing in LAG and TAG styles as I see fit. It's not uncommon for me to be playing 14/7 at one table and 35/25 at another, but winning both.

I won't pretend that I don't have quite a few MAJOR leaks in my game, but I think that I have a good conceptual understanding of the game and would learn very quickly if I had someone good watching and playing with me, helping me plug my leaks.

kazana
02-23-2007, 08:35 AM
@Freelancer:
You could also post my questions for you from the pm + your answers, I think that should be interesting for most applicants. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freelancer
02-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Now it's time for my questions:
1) Why would I want you to be my coach?
2) What would you be able to teach me that 2p2 can't?
3) Will you enforce your style upon your student, or will you try to tune his play to be more EV?
4) How would you know your student succeeded? What are your landmarks for knowing when you've succeeded or failed?

Those where the questions, you got the answers though kazana. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

kazana
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now it's time for my questions:
1) Why would I want you to be my coach?
2) What would you be able to teach me that 2p2 can't?
3) Will you enforce your style upon your student, or will you try to tune his play to be more EV?
4) How would you know your student succeeded? What are your landmarks for knowing when you've succeeded or failed?

Those where the questions, you got the answers though kazana. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, okay, here are the answers from Freelancer:

[ QUOTE ]
1) I have a solid understanding of the game and the principles behind it, its a free service to the community though and I don't feel the need to prove myself.
2) 2p2 mainly deals with specific hands, not with the general flow of the game. I'm also planning to focus on the student's game and fixing there leaks wich is obv. better than general advice.
3) I fully realize that the style I play (25/23 or so) is way different than the optimal style for the lower limits, or even a optimal style for the limits I play right now. However Id be trying to teach game strategy and not so much a certain style...
4) When I start noticing changes in my students game I will know that my 'training' had effect, the students themselves are probably the best judges wether the 'training' pays of or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

whoomp
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey there thanks for doing this man, I'm 22 years old student of Computer science from Slovenia. I have the trial version of Poker Tracker, but I'm going to register soon. I play about 3 hours daily 6 tabling 10 NL FR, but recently shot taking 25 NL I play just 2 tabled of 6 max.

Party poker.

NL 10 and taking shots at 25 NL 6 max.

3) Experience?

I've been playing for about 6 months, at first I was fooling around with various games playing limit and SNG's. 2 months ago I started playing NL more seriously and really trying to improve. Started with around 50$ and grinded it up first at 5 NL then switched to 10 NL and now I have a 350$ roll at 10 NL and I'm taking some shots to see how NL 25 feels.

My short-term goal is to move up to 50/100 NL as fast as possible, so I can make some spending money. Long term goal is to play 400-600NL and higher making a decent living for myself.

[/b]5)[/b] You need a drive to improve, this is WAY more important than your current skill level. I don't mind to explain everything twice as long as you listen and try to understand and build this into your game. If this doesn't work out the way I want, I will take up a different student (this is a last resort type of thing).

I recently spend a lot of my free time studying the game, watching training videos, discussing hands with friends, I really want to get better at poker.

So I hope you pick me for your tutoring, see you around!

RicP
02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FTP and Stars (sorry US Player)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played up to 100NL 6-max.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
Few years ago, I was a decent $55 sng pushbot. been on a bit of a downswing and have been playing various levels of 6-max for the last year or so.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would like to grind out $1000NL the way I used to do SNG's. Other goals, well have a son doing a year "abroad" (Freiburg) would love to take the family to visit him while he's away for a year. Also have a daughter with the chance to take a trip to Australia, would like for her to be able to do that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Drive? I'm always grinding, reading, and reviewing PT.. big pots etc. etc.

Grifter
02-23-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as well. I don't have as much name recognition as some here, but I have read the ssnl (and uNL) forums consistantly since my reg date. So, I guess here is my application.

Full Tilt

Right now, 25nl. But before 'the Fristing' I was at 100nl. I have an offline BR and would be willing to seed my online account to start at 50nl.

3) Experience?

I have played for about three years now, with the first one being strictly live play. I moved from limit to NL about a year ago, enjoyed moderate sucess, and then cashed out most of my winnings in the scare. Online I have played .25/.50 to 2/4 limit and 25NL - 200NL. Live I have played 2/4 to 10/20 limit and 1/2 NL (300 max buy in.)

I would like to play and beat 200NL by the end of this year, while taking shots at 400Nl. This may not be as ambitious as some, but I found that moving up without properly understanding the game has hurt me in the past. More importantly, though, is I would like to play better poker, overall, regardless of level and quality of opponenets. I feel that a lot of my earlier success was based on really bad opponents, not exceptional play on my part, and that is no longer acceptable to me. My knowledge of the game is not nearly what it should be, and I want to change this.

Other notes of interest: I am trying to rebuild my game from the ground up, which was one of the reasons for cashing out and starting over at the micros. I looked into getting a coach, but they were too pricey for me. I think I have a lot to offer as a student (intellegence, perseverence, willingness to learn, etc) and I think I could benifit a lot from the sort of thing endever you are undertaking. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Thanks for your consideration.

contortionist
02-24-2007, 01:34 AM

None but willing to join wherever.

n/a

3) Experience?

Live in person tournaments no limit hold em. Starting to get pretty good, and placing in tournies, but problems going beyond and winning. Finishing third and fourth place only, but haven't really played much at all so improving at a rapid pace. Buy ins for 150 bucks or less. Tournies only for last few months before played w friends for a few years, but that is very different.

I don't have a real job and don't want one. I invest and am very disciplined and have done very well with that. But it really doesn't take up much of my time anymore, as I am more of a long term investor than daytrader type. So I would like to make this what i do. Want to hone my skills on internet games, but more interested in conquering live tournament play.

I am very intelligent and a quick learner. I am less experienced than other posters, but this means that I am also a nearly blank slate. Score outstandingly well on logic and i.q. tests and I am pretty decent with math. However I need to be more aggressive. I take criticism well and love the game. For in person play I have the advantage of being an attractive woman so I don't get much respect at the table, but that allows me to clean up when I have a monster hand.

What I am looking for in a mentor:

1. Honesty and bluntness. Willingness to hurt my feelings if needed.

2. True knowledge of the game and a proven track record.

3. I would prefer a mentor who is located in NYC. If you don't come to NYC often, then perhaps there is someone else on this board who may want a protege. We could barter investment advice for help with my poker skills.

Miko
02-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Is there allready anything known? This is exciting (weeee)

Freelancer
02-24-2007, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there allready anything known? This is exciting (weeee)

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha glad its exciting for you, it means I'm doing something good wich makes me in turn feel good.

A while back (you might have missed it) I posted that I am going to pick 5-10 people I am interested in and add them to aim to get to know them better. If I am going to pick a student, and get serious with this it has to 'click' otherwise its wasting time for me and you.

[ QUOTE ]

None but willing to join wherever.

n/a

3) Experience?

Live in person tournaments no limit hold em. Starting to get pretty good, and placing in tournies, but problems going beyond and winning. Finishing third and fourth place only, but haven't really played much at all so improving at a rapid pace. Buy ins for 150 bucks or less. Tournies only for last few months before played w friends for a few years, but that is very different.

I don't have a real job and don't want one. I invest and am very disciplined and have done very well with that. But it really doesn't take up much of my time anymore, as I am more of a long term investor than daytrader type. So I would like to make this what i do. Want to hone my skills on internet games, but more interested in conquering live tournament play.

I am very intelligent and a quick learner. I am less experienced than other posters, but this means that I am also a nearly blank slate. Score outstandingly well on logic and i.q. tests and I am pretty decent with math. However I need to be more aggressive. I take criticism well and love the game. For in person play I have the advantage of being an attractive woman so I don't get much respect at the table, but that allows me to clean up when I have a monster hand.

What I am looking for in a mentor:

1. Honesty and bluntness. Willingness to hurt my feelings if needed.

2. True knowledge of the game and a proven track record.

3. I would prefer a mentor who is located in NYC. If you don't come to NYC often, then perhaps there is someone else on this board who may want a protege. We could barter investment advice for help with my poker skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm affraid I can't really help with tournament play, in fact my friends always joke that I suck more at tournaments than they do (they'r the regular casual play crowd). The scary part is that they might very well be correct.

However a lot of the important concepts in cash games also translate to tournaments, I might even be able to share the love for cash games. That is ofcourse if I pick you, nothing is decided yet. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

To everyone;
I am going to say this once again, motivation is the deciding factor. Ofcourse its awesome that you have above average intelligence, hell you might even be a genius. But the amazing (or crappy part, depends how you look at it) about poker is that everybody can succeed but everybody can also just as easily fail. I might push you a bit closer to succeeding and reaching your goals, but I can't do anything but push you. YOU have to work for it, YOU have to do the study. I can only guide you...
Wich is why I want some one who's motivated to work on himself and his game, if I do this I want you to succeed. And if you have above average intelligence thats amazing, but if your not motivated to improve than well I have no use for you. This is not a personal attack on anyone, please keep posting your strong points. But please don't forget the weaknesses of your personality those interest me just as much (if not more) than your strengths...

This all might seem like I think I'm above you and that I think I'm better. In fact I'm fairly sure that if I read the text I'm typing now 1 year ago, I'd be thinking WOW he's out of his [censored] mind!! What the hell is he thinking??
Well its okay if you think that, your apparantly not ready yet wich is totally fine. I'm looking for someone who thinks; hmmm that kinda makes sense, I dont know exactly what he means but I might do in eventually. Perhaps this entire experience really did teach him a tiny tiny bit of knowledge and wisdom (wisdom, lol jezus I'm 20 years old wtf??? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)...

contortionist
02-24-2007, 03:23 PM
I know I have many holes in my game. I need to be more aggressive and protect my hands better. Among the many problems which I am not even aware of. What should I be reading? Really liked Harrington's books. I recently ordered (should be arriving any day now) Theory of poker, Super System, and also the dvd from Annie Duke. Is this a good start? Any other recommendations?

Freelancer
02-24-2007, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know I have many holes in my game. I need to be more aggressive and protect my hands better. Among the many problems which I am not even aware of. What should I be reading? Really liked Harrington's books. I recently ordered (should be arriving any day now) Theory of poker, Super System, and also the dvd from Annie Duke. Is this a good start? Any other recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]
Read and post more on 2+2, these forums really are the best place to learn poker. In fact I can't remember anything from the books I read (I read like 2 or so) but every time I read 2+2 I pick up something that makes me go 'AH so that's how it works !!'. The information might not be so easily found as in a book, but the true gems are on these forums.

Panic__NL
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
well to improve my chances to get to the final 5-10 persons you will choose, here a little more about my motivation, cause u said that is the most important.
I have a reasonably long history of online gaming, a lot was first person shooter games, and I always wanted to improve at those. That does not mean I wanted to be the best, but I wanted to get better. that is the same with poker. I dont have the plan to play with the pros in half a year, but what does matter is that I am getting better at it instead of being satisfied with the level I play on now. We will see how far I can come, but I wont quit before I know what is the max I can get out of this. Here comes my weakness in to play. Like most people I have a lack of selfmotivating power. If I have to do something for my self it is a lot harder than to do something with or for another. I experience this in my study as well as in other things like poker. That is the whole reason I started a blog, to create a online "consience"that will motivate me. Posting on my blog is like telling the outside world what my plans are and updating on the status of that plan. It feels more like someone is watchin me, although the visit rate at my blog is fairly low. Still it feels like people will read it and will be dissapointed somehow if I dont reach what I promised.
In that way I think a poker coach will not only teach me a lot, but will also motivate me to get the best out of my self. Just because I will discuss my achievements with him. Cause if you know he will discuss some hands with you and you did not even look at them, you feel like an idiot.
Dont get me wrong I dont thin you, if you ever become my poker coach will have take out the stick and give me a asswhooping, hell no. But just the fact we have a student teacher relationship will motivate me extra to get the best out of my self.
I think my idea about a poker coach realy fits ur idea about a student, cause in the opening post you say, you want a student so you can oblige yourself to realy get into the theory again, cause u will have to explain it to ur student. I think this can be a system that works the same for both student as teacher, both will gain from the cooperation.
Hope this explains a little my motivation.

holyfield5
02-24-2007, 04:47 PM
ok i havent posted yet because i see all these free coach threads here but dont feel like i ever have a shot to be chosen so i stopped reading them. this one has been on the front page a while so i finally clicked it and i see you are taking multiple people so ill give it a shot.

Full Tilt

50NL 6-max

3) Experience?

bar poker and home game tourneys since the moneymaker boom. been playing online going on 3 months, started with 150 and lost that because i thought i was better than i was and played break even 10+1 SNGs until i fell to 50 bucks. I was really turned off with SNGs because the last 5 or so times i had made ITM i placed 3rd, multiple times with big chip leads that got obliterated by high blinds push or fold poker. Switched to cash, liked it a lot more but ended up BUSTO 7 dollars before my bonus paid out because i hit my first cash downswing(and i was breakeven). Redeposited 100 dollars and have since worked it up to being overrolled for 50NL. Ive taken 2 shots at 100NL, played bad the first shot, ran bad the second shot.

Plan is to be playing comfortably at least 200NL by july/august and move out west to NV or CA where poker is legal, im already "pro" but barely.

I play thousands and thousands of hands(100k a month), I 8 table now but plan to cut down to 4 when i hit 100NL. I grind pretty hard and try to study and improve my game constantly. Only have 1 buddy i talk about poker with over AIM atm. I like to discuss poker and ask questions that clarify reasoning etc. I understand things pretty easily when explained and also explain things well myself.

craigmarq
02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
This looks like a pretty decent opportunity. I unfortunately can't play on party, as I'm from the U.S. I play on FTP. I've been playing poker for about 3 years now, however I started out playing micro-limit games and hadn't really improved. Recently I decided to dedicate myself to getting better because I went to raptor's New Years party and was immensely jealous. I restarted playing the 2nd of january 6-12 tabling 5.50-11 sngs on ftp and ground my br up to around ~1k. The real purpose for that was to fund learning 6 max NL. I've been playing NL50 for about a month now and have improved immensely over when I first started. I play about 90k hands a month. Basically goal is to be the best possible NLHE player I can. I have no plans to stop advancing in limits or settling when I reach a certain point. A couple 2+2ers who can vouch for me, travestyfund, raptor517, deuce2high, bonafone.

Craig

Freelancer
02-25-2007, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok i havent posted yet because i see all these free coach threads here but dont feel like i ever have a shot to be chosen so i stopped reading them. this one has been on the front page a while so i finally clicked it and i see you are taking multiple people so ill give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you always think that you'll never get picked and rarely post a 'application' than you'll indeed never get picked. If I where you I'd seriously consider posting more often in these type of threads. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also I am not offering this chance to more than 1 person, I am picking 5-10 people and out of those I pick some one to work with.

corsakh
02-25-2007, 06:24 AM
My motivation is pretty simple. I am lazy. But I need 3-4k a month for a comfort cushion. And I figure that, while I study at uni for the next 2 or 3 years, I rather be playing poker 3-4 hours a day 4-5 times a week any time I choose than make hamburgers 6 hours every day to earn these same money. And then, who knows /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freelancer
02-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Update on my personal situation for the people interested;
- I am about to move all my funds excepth 1k at party poker towards neteller and not touch them again unless I want to take them offline.
- I am kinda busy tomorrow (as in I'm home for like 2 hours max and leave early in the morning) I am going to TRY and pick 5-10 people. If I can't make it on monday I'll select people on tuesday, so I appologize in advance to everyone who might be forced to wait another day in excitement. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
- I am editing this message in a few hours again and tell you how I did at 50nl and how I view the games at party poka 50nl (lets hope I don't start of with a -5 BI swing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: The funds are being transferred and my account balance is now exactly 1000.40 on party.

Miraculix
02-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi.
This seems like the thing I need, but since I don´t play that much (about 10.000 hands this year), I figure that I´m not the one being chosen, but what the .... Let´s try /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Party, Stars and UB. (Some at Full Tilt for their bonus but I dot really like it).

25NL 6-max. Taking a few stabs at $50 and I´m rolled for $100.

3) Experience?

I have been playing online for about 2 years. Limit up to $1-2 until feb 2006. Then NL $25 FR unti august and $25 (and some $50) 6max since then.

I would like to be a $100 reg taking serious stabs at $200 by the end of the year.

Since I don´t play that much, (I have a familly, 2 kids and their atletic training to take care of) I work shifts and when I play poker I want to be clear in my head and it takes a while after 40 hours of nightshift! That´s mostly why I don´t play more than like 25-30 hours a month or about 5000 hands. Mostly 2-4 tabeling. What drives me is that I never compete to come in second. I really hate it when I get sucked out by THE fish, but I can understund why. I really hate MYSELF when playing bad like when being card dead for a long while and the not being able to let go of an overpair. I want to make some (good?) money out of my play and I think I need some help to get there. At 6max I´m like 19/12/3 or something like that. A bit weak/tight and I don´t like that.

That´s about it.....

// M

RolloRolf
02-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Like you I´ve been playing poker for the last 2-3 years. I´ve been a winner since day one, but lately i´ve discovered just how much i really need to learn about this game. I play a TAG game, but i´m able to mix it up whenever i see fit.

I´m looking for a partner rather than a teacher, as i have a few ideas and theories about this game myself.

At this time i´m playing at Pokerchamps/Betfair, but it´s not a problem for me to switch to party. I´m playing mostly at 25NL (been playing higher, but as I realized how much i needed to learn i dropped down)

I´m playing poker to win, not just money , but to defeat my opponents. My goals is simply enough to improve my game. I finish what i start and always try my best.

If Ive sparked your interesst please send me a PM.

Cheers

Freelancer
02-25-2007, 02:41 PM
The books I was talking about are books from 'Jim Rohn' and not Jim Rown as I posted earlier, make sure to read them. There worth gold but not geared towards poker, not a big deal though because most of the concepts can be applied here very well.

obloni
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Hello Freelancer,

I am a 23 year old student doing my 4th and final year in an engineering course in London. I haven't been playing poker very long, and by chance I found out about this site by someone talking about it on PokerStars. Good luck for me I guess, since I wouldn't have seen your post if I didn't.

I currently play on PokerStars, but of course I will not have a problem playing at the other major sites.

Most of my time spent has been in the $10NL ring games. Occasionally I have gone up to the $25NL for a try and change. However, I haven't yet felt confident enough to be able to play regularly at the $25NL tables.

3) Experience?

I was introduced to poker in the winter of 2005, but only as an occasional game at home amongst friends. Online poker, I have played for about 3 months now. I have had not much live poker experience; been to some home games and joined a tournament in Gutshot Card Club (London).

4) Goals with poker?

I am about to graduate in June this year, and I have had some job offers, but none that I am particularly keen on taking up. I was considering taking one year off to play poker full-time seriously, and then see how it would go from there.

Ideally of course, I would want to be able to play and hold my own in the biggest limits on the internet, and be confident enough to enter some big live tournaments. I suppose though that that would be too much of a far cry, but I think the minimum goal for me would be to reach the $1000NL tables playing all variants within a year. However, if your specialty is hold 'em, that is very fine by me too.

5) Drive

If I am chosen to be your protege, I'm not sure how you plan to conduct the training sessions, but I am prepared to put in 6 hours per day on weekdays (since I still have a project to finish) and up to 12 hours on weekend working on my poker. (i know i know, it sounds a bit nazi like the way i put it; btw no offense to anybody if i did step on some toes saying this)

When I was a teen, I used to play chess for my country, and I spent probably 4 hours a day on studying and loads more travelling around during the weekend playing tournaments. I am no stranger to putting an effort into something I want to do well in, and I currently feel that my poker game is far below average (I only scored 103 on the donkeytest) and I really do want to improve it by several notches. Since I'll be graduating in June, I will have plenty of time if I decide to take a year off to explore online poker with more depth.

I do have several real life friends who take poker seriously as well, and sometimes during home games we would play hands and then everyone would show their hand after it was done so that the whole group could participate in a discussion of how best it would have been to play that hand etc. This didn't work out very well though, as it tended to take too long for the discussions; and we all agreed that if we did this all the time everyone would know each other's style too well.

During my time playing poker I have tried to read up as many books as I can, i.e. Super System 1,2 , Theory of Poker, Ace on the River, Making the Final Table, +some really horrible poker books (amazing what bookstores can sell nowadays).. but it does seem like the best way to learn poker really is to play it and have people around you whom you can discuss ideas with.

Finally, if you do decide to take me up; I will be more than thrilled to put up the $1000 bankroll to match yours (I currently only have about $300 in PokerStars); and if you don't-- I'll look forward to reading all of your posts in the future.

Thanks very much for your time.

nutsboy
02-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Full Tilt

10NL - 25NL

3) Experience?
Been playing seriously online for about 5 months now. Been playing SnGs but decided to switch to ring because this is what I really want to play.

To be a winning player playing 100NL-200NL. This is the only I can prove to people here that this can be done for a living. I work as a tournament director now for one of the underground poker clubs here in the philippines.

SnappyJoe
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
6 hours per day on weekdays and 12 hours on weekends? Don't you have some sort of life to maintain?

You'll burn out if you grind poker 54 hours per week.

FalconTi0
02-26-2007, 12:06 AM
-I play nl25
-On Pokerstars
-1.5-2 hours a day mostly, sometimes more
-I have known how to play for a few years but started taking it serious about 3 months ago
-My goal is to pretty much get better and be good enough and have the roll to be playing 400nl by the end of the year

Panic__NL
02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
is it almost monday??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Freelancer
02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a 23 year old student doing my 4th and final year in an engineering course in London. I haven't been playing poker very long, and by chance I found out about this site by someone talking about it on PokerStars. Good luck for me I guess, since I wouldn't have seen your post if I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not just good luck you found this thread, but even more so that you found these forums. These truly are the greatest source of poker knowledge available. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
However, if your specialty is hold 'em, that is very fine by me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
My speciality isn't just poker, its ONLY poker. In fact I don't even know the rules of most other games...(something I don't feel the need to explore at all)

[ QUOTE ]
is it almost monday???

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah its Monday now and I'll get to work, I just got home but I should have posted the list of people I want to continue with (leaving in the end a single student) within a few hours. So hold your breath for a bit longer. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Btw my results for the first day is -22$ for the day. Wich is decent considering I immediatly dropped 100$ trying out some moves (bluffing TP doesn't work here, also bluffing a set=-ev /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and getting a bit coolered. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edit; This means that 'application' is closed. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Panic__NL
02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
hold my breath for a few hours, I guess you can take me off the list then....... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kiddin'.

JadeRedstone
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Am a little late jumping into this.

I live in Belgium at the moment and play poker 4-7 hours a day.
I play exclusively on fullTilt because I'm a mac user. But I think party recently released a mac version.
I have a $350 roll and play mainly $10NL .

I want to become better. Much better infact. My goals are to get to $100NL before the end of the year. I love poker, and when ever I don't play it I watch shows on the net (or the rare Eurosport broadcast)

I'm actually pretty decent in S&G and MTT, but my cash game is off and on business. When I'm in the 'zone' I'm really pretty good. Sometimes, I think I over play for the low levels. I fancy my self good enough to play higher levels but want to exercise proper BR before attempting it.

I'm a forum addict, I visit the forums up to 10 times a day and post a lot (on another poker forum, only discovered this one recently)

I enjoy helping when ever I can and love the theory and thought process behind poker.

Thanks for doing this and good luck in your journey

Freelancer
02-26-2007, 11:01 AM
The whole selection didn't take as long as I expected, in the end I picked 4 people (random order /images/graemlins/wink.gif );
-AndreasQ
-Panic__nl
-Kazana
-contortionist

If these people would be so nice to send me a PM with there aim adress so we can talk further over aim. I'll probably post another thread in a week or 2 with both my progress and who I picked and there progress. In this post I will also decide wether I want to make a pooh bah post about this. So cya all in a few weeks, it was a pleasure reading your motivations and idea's. If you didn't get picked;
Keep working on your game and keep trying to improve, these forums are a awesome tool so use it !!
Also if you have a specific questions about poker, feel free to send a PM I'm usually fairly helpfull. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ps. Jade, I didn't exclude you from the selection process. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Panic__NL
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
PM sent, thanks for picking me !!!! yeah!

kazana
02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AndreasQ
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

skillzilla
02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
HYACAHYHCYAHCYAHYCHAYHCAYHAYCHAYCHAYCY

contortionist
02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
thanks so much for putting me in the running.

kaz2107
02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HYACAHYHCYAHCYAHYCHAYHCAYHAYCHAYCHAYCY RIGGED /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SneakrFreakr
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
meh bad luck i didnt notice it. you've probably already made the final decision right?

emsee gusto
05-04-2007, 03:56 PM
updates?

Kimpan
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I would be very interested in this.
I have been playing limit for about 2 years, went as far as 10/20 6max. Hit a huge downswing which led me to doubt my pokerskills and my interest for poker faded.
The recent weeks I have been making the transition to NL. I am currently playing NL25 and reading like crazy on everything I can get my hands on that would improve my NL play. My goal is to make NL200 my home.

Piece of Cake
05-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Did you ever play at Stars with the same avatar?

Neat & admirable idea. Not sure why you personally would drop back to 50NL if you can confidently beat 200NL. Seems like a lot of profits given up in the meanwhile.

Goodluck to you and your student.

I_HATE_TIHSKID
05-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi

I like this idea.

I have been playing NL for about 2 years, winning at NL10-200.

Lately I have had to withdrawe a lot of my roll, so probaly rolled for like NL50-100.

I would be willing to take a student, with the same criteria as Freelancer used earlier.

I was thinking:

- I will go through your hands and/or videos if you choose to make one.

- We will discuss hands over messenger/AIM.

- I will learn all the basics/theory to you.

- Each week (maybe 2-3 weeks) we will focus on a specific goal; like tableselection, valuebetting ect.

- We will move up together and crush the world of poker.