PDA

View Full Version : QJ, oop top pair, villian betting strong

halperin
02-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
UTG: $54.50
MP: $33.85
CO: $45.80
BTN: $54.55
Hero (SB): $49.25
BB: $57.8

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif ($0.75, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.50</font>, Hero calls $1.25, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($3.5, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3

<font color="black">Turn:</font> Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif [9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] ($15.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $15.50</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $15.50 returned to BTN

<font color="black">River:</font> Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif [] ($15.5, 1 players)
No action

Big Poppa Smurf
02-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Why are you donking the flop here?

Shaqalicious
02-22-2007, 03:05 AM
fold pf

qj is teh suck OOP

halperin
02-22-2007, 04:15 AM
what am i supposed to do on this flop?

Elverian
02-22-2007, 04:26 AM
I think $1.50 is enough on the flop as a feeler bet.
By keeping the pot smaller, you get a much clearer read on whether your opponent is strong, as he needs to raise a bigger percentage of the pot to build it with a good hand.

A fold to his flop raise would not have been a bad move, although this is largely dependant on villain, and we have no info.

Sounds like an overpair, or a Q with a better kicker than yours. One of the problems of calling OOP with these easily dominated hands. If you do, you must proceed with extreme caution post flop.

Hoffma
02-22-2007, 04:33 AM
I am either folding PF or calling with the intention of checking the flop even if I "hit" like you did. I'm looking for strong draws here (not TPMK), and you didn't hit any. This is probably a bad reason to call PF anyway. JTs is a better drawing hand from a preflop perspective.

halperin
02-22-2007, 04:33 AM
doesnt betting 1.5 into a 3.5 pot usually scream weakness and any decent player would raise it dont u think?

Everlong
02-22-2007, 04:38 AM
PF isnt horrible. I usually fold but this is a good enough hand to take a flop vs. a 3xbb btn raise. I like a light 3-bet best though against a trigger-happy villain.

Flop lead is mandatory due to flop wetness. Bet a little less though and fold to a raise (even though the min-raise is a bit suspiscious - you aint beating much but a draw or TT JJ ad you are oop).

dano
02-22-2007, 05:48 AM
I think the preflop call with QJs is okay, but not if you are going to play it the way you did post flop when you hit top pair. I'd try to keep the post-flop pot a little smaller with QJ on the Q9x board. So if I was going to make a strong nearly pot sized bet, I would do it intending to get away from the hand later if called or raised. The other options would be to make a smaller bet on the flop or of course to check and reevaluate.

Given Button's probable raising range, check/raising can be very good on the flop, but again you have to be able to get away if called or reraised.