PDA

View Full Version : Someone new to micro stakes

fak8629
02-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm pretty new to these micro stakes and i'm not to sure about my choices and my bankroll management. I've been playing online poker for about 2 years and have lost alot of money foolishly. I have made a couple decent cashouts over the past 2 years but nothing that compared to what i've lost. i use to play alot of nl .50/1 and $10 MTTs. i'd always only load $50 at a time. after 2 years of losing my friend talked me into trying bankroll management and micro stakes. i started at .02/.05 nl with $50. i then moved to .05/.10 once i hit $100. i now stand at $220 and playing .10/.25nl. i know im probly moving up to fast but i enjoy the rush of winning more money faster even though i also know i can lose it just as fast.
does anybody have any suggestions for me and my new strategy, like i said im new to this so when would it be a good idea to move up the next limit. any tips or suggestions at all would be a help.

Gelford
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Usually the saying is, that you should have 20 buyins at least. So you are slightly underrolled. It depends, if you can stand losing it all .... then do as you like.

When playing with money, that don't mean much and can be lost, some advocate taking 5 buyin shots.

Still if you are trying to get into dicipline and poker proper with intentions of building something, I'd suggest that you calm down and nit it up a bit moving up when you have 25 buyins, then you are cushioned, you can stand to drop 5 buyins at first and really not feel it, and it will be easier mentally (less stressfull)

So in other words, can you stand a risk of ruin and enjoy the kick, then by all means have a ball .... else slow down and learn some dicipline and proffesionalism, proper poker so to speak, after all, you are only delaying moving up a couple of weeks anyway and you will be playing 100NL within 4-8 weeks anyway, so there isn't any need to rush it and risk get knocked back to the stone-age.

Miyogi
02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i enjoy the rush of winning more money faster even though i also know i can lose it just as fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like your biggest issue is going to be discipline. Be carefull not to get in the habit of gambling in big pots just to try to win. Rather then move up when you have X amount of money. Why not just wait and move up after you have beat the game for 10 or 20 thousand hands. By that point you can be confident in your skills as well as properly rolled.

DWarrior
02-21-2007, 11:28 PM
I say wait till you hit $250 and make a run at 5/10nl. No guts no glory.