PDA

View Full Version : flopped bottom set in sb, monochrome flop

findingneema
02-21-2007, 03:01 AM
No reads yet, first few hands at table.

I figure that I could be up against a range of hands on the turn, including Aces up with the nut flush draw or a made flush. I figure calling turn and river, since they were relatively small bets, was the right play. Raising the river seemed off, because the small bet looked like a value bet. Am I way off here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

MP2 ($11.15)
Hero ($9.75)

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif
3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, Hero calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($0.5, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.5</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $4</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($10, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $13

PietM
02-21-2007, 03:14 AM
I think you're right and you're up against Aces up enough to make it profitable. I wouldn't reraise turn or raise river either, but folding is out of the question too (with bets of this size).

Hoffma
02-21-2007, 03:27 AM
I am betting this turn like mad, MP2 seems weak and needs to be encouraged to make mistakes. His min-raise is just begging to be reraised. With deeper stacks I am reraising to $12, but it looks like you have around $7 left, so it's time to get it all in.

On the other hand, villain may be representing weakness with his turn minraise and an even smaller river bet. He may be trying to induce raises so that he can reraise. This is nearly impossible to gauge without reads, but it seems unlikely, so I'm shoving when he minraises the turn and hoping he didn't flop a flush.

PietM
02-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Minraises from (bad) villain mean strength a lot of the time. Whenever I see a minraise I proceed with caution. I don't say hero should fold in this case, but no need to push here and only get called by a better hand a large percentage of the time.

findingneema
02-21-2007, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, villain may be representing weakness with his turn minraise and an even smaller river bet. He may be trying to induce raises so that he can reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what I was thinking. As I see more and more of these NL games at this level, the small bets and raises just seem to be "please, please, call me, I have you beat" bets. Maybe the 1st rule of $10 NL is: "If no read, assume donkey."

findingneema
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
MP2 turned over K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the K-high flush.

xorthio
02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
would play the same can't fold for those small bets, raising will only get you called by better hands, most worse one fold there

matrix
02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP2 turned over K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the K-high flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

great result!

this hand is very well played imo.

MP2 is a slowplaying donkey who doesn't know how to value bet - make a note on this.

next time this happens - raise his tiny river bets all-in when you boat up and show him how value betting works /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If he bets big from here on out on the river after playing previous streets all passive you can be pretty confident he has nothing much or is bluffing a good chunk of the time so now as well as pushing confidently enough to expect calls often when you got the nuts you can also pick off alot of his larger river bluffs with mediocre one pair hands. This is awesome dirt to have on someone. (just keep calling rivers like this when you have odds to call and he leads for a tiny fraction of the pot to keep him honest - and make sure you tell him "nh" in the chatbox to stoke his ego every time he does this and scoops a tiny pot with a monster hand)

nh.

vnh.

Zagga
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
raise preflop

Marshall28
02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
i woulda played this the same way u did except i woulda reraised preflop.

had villain reraised u on the flop, thats a good time to shove him in, however, since he decided to wait until the turn to raise u, his range becomes much much narrower ... if he had just the NFD, he'd play it fast on the flop. if he didnt have a diamond, but some other strong hand, he'd play it fast on the flop. only hand he slowplays is a flush, MOST OF THE TIME. i still call the river though because the bet is so small.

Nick C
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Versus a Villain who knows how to bet $5.25 into a $10 pot on the river, there wouldn't be much you could do, really, and you might as well 3-bet all-in on the turn or lead all-in on the river and hope Villain just has AdXx (because he might actually take the free showdown with that if you let him).

But, as it is, you played the hand much better than he did. You took advantage of his fear of folding you out.

fsista
02-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Damn I really want to raise the river when he bets that small. I guess your play is fine though. You might want to push turn vs some opponent but overall nice hand.