PDA

View Full Version : High-end Dining Pisses Me Off

J.A.Sucker
02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
A recent thread about high-end dining got me thinking and I've realized that it pisses me off. I have decided that I hate it. I hate the staff's attitude; I hate the patrons' attitudes more. The food looks fantastic and may taste pretty good, but equally wonderful food is always available at more humble places. I don't care to be "in the know" or to fuel my Patrick Bateman-like desire to be seen. The someliers usually recommend worse wines than I can come up with on my own. Almost without exception, I don't want to talk to the wait-staff. I'd rather talk to my friends/date for dinner. You know, the people who I WANTED to eat with. I want to be loud and tell good stories. I don't want 15 people trying to nose their way into my conversation via trying to fill my water glass. I do not equate attention with good service.

All of these factors and more have made me realize that I just don't enjoy these restaurants as much as I should. I have no objections to paying good money for a great meal, but I don't want to pay great money for a good meal, and the fact of the matter is that most of the time the food just isn't as good as it is many other places, most of which are just kind of neighborhood-type of places.

Feel free to agree or disagree here. This thread should be a liberation of sorts for all people who like food, but hate the attitude that goes along with it.

Colt McCoy
02-20-2007, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The food looks fantastic and may taste pretty good, but equally wonderful food is always available at more humble places...I have no objections to paying good money for a great meal, but I don't want to pay great money for a good meal, and the fact of the matter is that most of the time the food just isn't as good as it is many other places, most of which are just kind of neighborhood-type of places.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost made this same post in the other thread but aborted it.

El Diablo
02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Sucker,

I'm locking this thread and copying your post into that thread. I'll respond there (which will make it clear why I'm moving it).