PDA

View Full Version : 10NL J9 makes pair vs. A-high board

RollTide77
02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Am I too aggressive here with him limping in? Seems like I had alot of dinky hands like this last night that never hit or made 2nd pair and each one was costing me around $2.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($9.20)
SB ($17.70)
BB ($33.05)
UTG ($5.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls $0.10, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.30) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.2</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $0.8</font>, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.90) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2.40

Pokey
02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Raise or fold preflop: there's no reason to let SB in for half price and BB see a free flop. Make it $0.40 if you want to play (read: if you haven't been stealing a tremendous amount thus far, or if SB/BB are weak at defending their blinds) and fold if you don't want to get mixed up with this crappy hand.

Playing this flop is hard without a preflop raise. With a raise, I'd call and re-evaluate the turn, betting if checked to and folding if he bets and I don't improve. Without a raise, I let it go -- aces are scare cards for a reason, and I'm not willing to pay off three streets of bets just to find out if he's bluffing or not. In any case, raising is not a move I'd choose here because it wins the least against bluffs and loses the most against aces.

On the turn, there's no reason to keep fighting. You were dead on the flop and you should have known it -- bow out with as much dignity as you can muster.

RollTide77
02-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks Pokey. Definitely a lapse of judgement there as I usually would raise if passed to from the button with this. But thinking back on it, I think I remember feeling a bit "intimidated" by the big stacks and felt that they would call any steal attempt so I just limped with the weak hand.