PDA

View Full Version : NL10 6max QQ on turn

OrBit
02-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05./$0.10.
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $13.65
UTG+1: $11.80
Hero: $8.10
Button: $31.51
SB: $3.61
BB: $10.49

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.35</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.8</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($1.75, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $2.8</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($7.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $2.25</font>, Hero ???

No reads on this guy, just sat down.
To me it looks like he has a set, but I figured I'd call the check raise to see what he did on the turn, and fold to a scare card.
Is this an easy fold on the turn? Should I have pushed the flop?

OrBit
02-20-2007, 03:57 AM
Oh thanks, I agree! I really like what you said about the possibility of a set.

Thanks!

Nick C
02-20-2007, 04:11 AM
It sort of looks like Villain is trying to get your stack in in roughly even postflop installments (or it appears that's where this is headed, whether it's his intention or not), but if I decided to go past the flop, I would have trouble laying my hand down with almost half of my stack already in. I guess I'd tell myself Villain could have JJ or TT and might like his overpair plus straight draw a lot.

I would not be happy about that flop min-checkraise, though. It feels like trouble to me.

I don't know. I think this is a tough hand to play postflop. What you're really hoping for is that Villain will just fold the flop, but then after he doesn't, he's playing back at you in small little installments that are sort of donk-standard but also in this case happen to give you a lot of trouble.

Emperor Norton
02-20-2007, 04:38 AM
I raise more preflop -- your 3-bet is barely more than a minraise. I think I'd have to fold to the flop checkraise. We're way behind to AA/KK/99/88/77/JT, a coinflip with AKs, and only really beating JJ/TT/66 (and TT/66 have a ton of outs). Your weak 3-bet widens his range a bit, but not enough to justify a call, especially without any significant outs of your own. This is a straightforward reverse implied odds situation.

T-Bone98
02-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Raise more preflop. Fold the turn.

Genz
02-20-2007, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise more preflop -- your 3-bet is barely more than a minraise. I think I'd have to fold to the flop checkraise. We're way behind to AA/KK/99/88/77/JT, a coinflip with AKs, and only really beating JJ/TT/66 (and TT/66 have a ton of outs). Your weak 3-bet widens his range a bit, but not enough to justify a call, especially without any significant outs of your own. This is a straightforward reverse implied odds situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that reasoning. Although I will push over his minraise from time to time here, because I hate check/MINraise and it is so often a steal attempt with nothing more than a pair. But this guy is unknown and the board is very coordinated and you didn't raise much preflop so that he could lay down mediocre hands that have hit this flop. I can't really see what card could come on the turn that would help you that much that you could call down except a Q and you can't draw to that. So when you call, you are basically hoping that he was joking and doesn't fire again. On average against an unknown, I don't assume I get to SD cheaply after getting c/r'ed on the flop.

OrBit
02-20-2007, 05:22 AM
I somewhat dis agree myself about the possibility of him check raising with nothing more than a pair. Although it is a board that AK or 2 broad way cards would miss you have to remember that i 3 bet PF and usually representing a high PP. I find it really hard to fold this flop for such a small amount, I think Genz called me out exactly in "thinking he was joking" and doesn't fire again. I think that turn bet right there makes it very easy to fold.

Another thing that I think that really cleared things up was the size of his bet on the turn compared to the pot and the stack. The pot was 7 bucks and he was betting 2.25? Isn't that ironic how its exactly half of my stack? He was trying to get the rest of my stack in in two small increments...

I'm thoroughly embarrassed to say this, but to be honest I didn't look at my stack size, for some reason I assumed i had another 7 or 8 behind me. I called the turn thinking it might have been a weak continuation (I know, even if it was it was totally incorrect to call, i don't know wtf i was thinking), and when he bet the brick river 2.25 for my all in i was like oh crap i didn't realize i only had 2.25 left, the pot is 13 bucks and i still have an over pair, so i call.

he showed 98, which i didn't put him on raising this utg pf. Eughhh this was not one of my best plays...

VPIP100
02-20-2007, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise more preflop. Fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding the turn is so weak, this could be easily a straight or a flushdraw (min-raises then almost min-bets the turn)

Raise more pre, pot it on the flop.