PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the table NL 50

Tony Montana 22
02-19-2007, 11:42 PM
First hand at the table, villan is a 27/10/2.0/200 hands

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($50.25)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($13.45)
MP ($40.75)
CO ($57.05)
Button ($66.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, CO calls $3.50.

Flop: ($11.25) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8.5</font>, CO calls $8.50.

Turn: ($28.25) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero??

_TKO_
02-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't enjoy this spot. Options are betting ~$15 or checking, or maybe betting ~$12 and folding to a raise. I think I ultimately would prefer to check and see what happens.

barryc83
02-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Check. I think you have the best hand like always here, it is rare that someone would float you with AK. If you bet he wont call with a big pp I dont think. Also make a larger pf RR to like $7.

Gelford
02-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Really TKO ??

I figure to be ahead on turn, only question is whether to lead or get tricky and go for something FPS'ish. I would just lead turn and depending on read, then most likely call if he goes balistic on me. The only hand that I am scared of is AK, but would that call flop bet ? (you can always run into a set, but villian is loose)

James81
02-19-2007, 11:57 PM
In fact you have two options. The First is betting for Value/make a blocking bet or check.

In my opinion betting for value is here the best play, you can control the pot size and the action. The only problem here is if you get reraised, but he could do that with TT to QQ too. The only thing you have to fear is a big reraise on the River, because he could trap you with a set. If you made another big value bet on the river an now get reraised you are in danger.

br.bm
02-20-2007, 12:12 AM
bet less on the flop
$5 or $6 will do the same job

assume villian thinks:
I'd c/c the turn and river for three reasons:
1.) by betting we only get value from a draw. Worse made hands will fold most of the time (knowing that AK, AQ etc will make a cbet on the flop)

2.) We induce a river bluff from busted draws and hands like A9 will value bet

3.) We keep the pot small. This is typically WA/WB. He either has a draw or a smaller PP. Or he has 2Pair, Set or AK.

The whole point is: We only win money if a worse hand starts betting and we loose less if behind.

marvin_1935
02-20-2007, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bet less on the flop
$5 or $6 will do the same job

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no. betting $5 into a 11.25 pot is a good way to get blown off your hand. if i'm the villain and i see a super weak bet like that i'll raise big with whatever i'm calling with pf. in terms of the way the play developed, i like making it 7 pf and moving from there. 8 is a nice cbet, intending to not put in any more ui. if a Q falls on the turn, i'd probably c/c. the ace makes this pretty interesting . . . i like a check and either ai or call depending on the size of the bet.

_TKO_
02-20-2007, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Really TKO ??

I figure to be ahead on turn, only question is whether to lead or get tricky and go for something FPS'ish. I would just lead turn and depending on read, then most likely call if he goes balistic on me. The only hand that I am scared of is AK, but would that call flop bet ? (you can always run into a set, but villian is loose)

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian isn't incredibly loose here, and a call on this relatively dry flop is worrisome. I'm thinking pair+A, which got there on the turn, or a better flopped hand. Obviously, I understand we've been the aggressor the whole way and there's no *real* reason to put him on a better hand. Still, it's kind of hard to figure out what he has and what he thinks we have. If he was planning to call down with a hand like T9 hoping we have AK, the turn will make him fold anyway.

Gelford
02-20-2007, 02:15 AM
I wish people would give proper reads instead of just those bloody stats ... 27 is fairly loose if the table has been 6handed all along ... on the other hand, if hero has been playing 4 handed forever and table has just filled up, then villian is a nit.

But back to the hand .... calling a turn shove might not be optimal here ... villian is not that aggro it seems, so I'd say he might call with crap, but judging from the stats, then you might be right that a shove signals the goods.

Dunno ....

Some might argue that the Ace is a scary card and you willl fold al worse hands and only get value from better hands, so checking here might be fine

The thing is, that when I play .. I am prone to bet the Ace after having cbet flop without an Ace in my hand, so I can't go checking when Aces hit me (well at uNL I most likely can, but no reason to develop bad habits)

AKQJ10
02-20-2007, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

no no no. betting $5 into a 11.25 pot is a good way to get blown off your hand. if i'm the villain and i see a super weak bet like that i'll raise big with whatever i'm calling with pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly 2+2 conventional wisdom, but I somewhat question it. A Villain who thinks this way would be ridiculously easy to exploit. Bet half a pot with TPTK or better, then either three-bet or call-lead out when she "blows you off your hand". Occasionally you'll pay off good hands, and in this case you'll have to just fold, but you'll make a lot more money from every TPTK or overpair you flop.

Harrington suggests 1/2 pot CBs. People have replied that that's a tournament concept that doesn't apply to cash games, but no one has ever articulated a convincing reason why this should be so.

I've tended to like 3/4-to-full pot bets because I figure that I'm sometimes paying off when the draw comes in, and I want the IO situation to remain in my favor. However, no one's given me a convincing theoretical reason why a half-pot bet is wrong. The fact that an overeager opponent will sense weakness and raise your good hands for you doesn't count as a convincing theoretical reason.

Big Poppa Smurf
02-20-2007, 03:15 AM
AKQJT,

you can c-bet less in tourneys because you can't reload. Everyone knows this so you generally have more fold equity since no one wants to bust. You also save chips c-betting less.

And I'm pretty sure that in 3-bet pots you can (or are supposed to?) c-bet a smaller percentage of the pot.

Tony,

What kind of range do you put him on here on the turn? This is the main problem. If you think his calling range preflop is tight it's probably something like 88-AA, weighted more towards the lower end (88-QQ). So I'd say check and call is the best way to extract the value out of TT-KK. If you think his range is wider and can include things like 9T, 67, TJ, (draws) then you should bet for value and protection against those draws and not worry so much about folding out tt-kk

marvin_1935
02-20-2007, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AKQJT,

you can c-bet less in tourneys because you can't reload. Everyone knows this so you generally have more fold equity since no one wants to bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

orange
02-20-2007, 05:07 AM
check, see what he does.

corsakh
02-20-2007, 05:10 AM
1/2 pot cbets dont take down [censored] in micros. Unless its after a 3bet of course.

whyzze
02-20-2007, 05:18 AM
2 options.

1) Lead for about 15ish, fold to a push.

2) Check raise all in. (if he doesn't bet, then you take him to valuetown on river)

He most likely had an overpair on the flop, JJ, QQ, so on. Aces reraise flop, sets reraise flop alot of the time because they put you on an overpair. Only thing you have to worry about is the AK floating you and the off chance he made 2 pair with the Ace.