PDA

View Full Version : TPTK hand OOP is this line terrible

b2l_cricket
02-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Villain is fairly new to the table and i don't know him. He has about 80bb which makes the hand in this case easier. Here is the hand. I think preflop is probably bad. I will explain the size of the turn bet after the hand.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $18.16
UTG+1: $16.20
CO: $8.05
Button: $51.80
hero: $100.69
BB: $27.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $1</font>, 3 folds, hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($3, 3 players)
hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $3</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($9, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls.

River: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif ($19, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero is all-in $91.69</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG calls all-in $9.16</font>.
Uncalled bets: $82.53 returned to hero.

Results:
Final pot: $37.32

Ok, the turn bet is small because it set up a half pot river push. I wasn't worried about draws and i was pushing any river. I find lots of micro stakes players will call the two half pot bets like that much lighter than they would call a strong bet. If i lead strong on the turn i am not folding anyways so i wanted to try to get value from worse hands. I almost always raise preflop not really sure why i didnt, i think it may have been because of postion, or i was tired i dont know.

My real question is what kind of line do you like with TPTK OOP. Sometimes i bet bet bet. This time i CR the flop. I don't know if i like this line because i dont like to check any of the later streets unless i know it is to induce. If villain has i strong hand i made it very easy for him to get all in.

_TKO_
02-19-2007, 11:37 PM
It plays a lot differently if you 3bet preflop, which I would have done.

As played, it looks alright.

b2l_cricket
02-19-2007, 11:57 PM
I would like some discussion about better lines in this situation. In position it is often good to practice some pot control+inducing bets with this type of hand. I sometimes find it hard to see showdowns OOP here without playing a big pot. I think i stack off too much in hands like this. Discussions of lines as played preflop or lines where hero reraises preflop would both be good. The results of this hand dont matter much, but i was able to get more value than if i would have raised preflop, but that is being results oriented

marvin_1935
02-20-2007, 01:06 AM
if you 3bet pf, you can easily get it all in on the turn. i also make a larger raise on the flop.

Hoffma
02-20-2007, 04:12 AM
With a hand like this OOP I think you need to get as much of it in as fast as you can. PF you want to set up an attempt to stack UTG, so you have to raise for isolation. I think that $2.75 is the absolute smallest raise you should make PF against an unknown, maybe bigger with reads.

On this flop, having isolated UTG, pot ~$6 and $15 to go, I think it's an easy stack, but reads help a lot. I would CR AI if he seems aggressive, but lead with an absolute minimum of $5 if he seems passive or is unknown.

As played ($3 in pot OOP on flop), I like the CR, but I think you need to make it $5 or more. I would probably make it $6-8 against deeper stacks, but I want shorty to either make a bad flop call or preferably reraise. Your $3 CR offers your opponent 3:1, making this play seems barely better than calling his dinky $1 bet.

Given your flop play, I think your turn and river are good. Late streets good + early streets bad = bad line overall. I'm not sure what the max buy-in is at this table, or what you bought in for, but I don't understand how you're sitting there with 400BB making calls and small raises. I'm guessing this is why:

[ QUOTE ]
or i was tired i dont know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick C
02-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Postflop seems all right to me, and I think it's good that you used your awareness of Villain's remaining stack when sizing your turn/river bets. Sometimes I don't do that as well as I should (and that's becoming more true on those fast tables on Stars).

As for preflop, I know you're hearing lots of objections, but I don't think it's horrible or anything. I should say though that I don't know how Absolute 6-max plays. But . . . calling will lead to your losing some small pots you would have won otherwise. It will also lead to your losing some slightly bigger pots on those occasions when you whiff on the flop and the c-bet you've set up for yourself gets raised. And then there's the question of how big of a favorite you even are versus an UTG raise with your AKs, and I don't know the answer to that. (I've never played on Absolute, and so far I've only played NL at full tables, too.)