PDA

View Full Version : $25NL 6Max - Keep the Slowplay Until the River?

Manchild84
02-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Villain had been stealing/c-betting quite a bit, so the slowplay feels right in context, especially OOP, but I'm wondering if I came too life too early.
(Villain was 37/18/3.2 with 25 Attempt to Steal)

(Apologies for the hand history, but I can't seem to find an Ultimate Converter. If you know one that works, please let me know.)

Hand #39419896-3651 at Corvallis (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 19/Feb/07 03:29:07

UTG+1 is at seat 0 with $6.55.
Villain (Button) is at seat 1 with $48.63.
SB is at seat 2 with $56.80.
BBis at seat 3 with $35.42.
UTG is at seat 5 with $24.49.

SB posts the small blind of $.10.
Hero posts the big blind of $.25.

Hero: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif
Pre-flop:

UTG folds.
UTG+1folds.
Button raises to $.85.
SB folds.
Hero calls.

Flop (board: 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif):

Hero checks.
Villain bets $1.80.
Hero calls.

Turn (board: 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif):

Hero checks.
Villain bets $5.40.
Hero raises to $12.

So here, is it better to just call?
The c/r screams that the 3 improved my hand, and he probably assumes trips. If I call, it looks like I'm drawing hearts, and can maybe make the river look like a missed draw bluff if a non-heart falls...
Although I did c/r the turn, I can't think of any advantages to raising rather than calling in retrospect, and the board hasn't hit many hands other than mine.

MiJ305
02-19-2007, 05:06 AM
preflop i dont like calling this hand OOP i think its a -EV play longterm ,,,3bet or fold here

on the turn , i like calling here and donk betting the riv (gives the impression you missed the flush and trying to steal the pot as u said) ..

he could also be betting the flush so if a heart comes out , you could be winning a big pot ...

Reef
02-19-2007, 05:12 AM
pf is marginal, folding is fine

flop, either bet/3bet or c/r big

Nick C
02-19-2007, 05:57 AM
I probably spring to life on the flop and get disappointed when Villain folds.

Most likely I'd go for a checkraise since Villain c-bets regularly and I want to at least win that c-bet.

The case for slowplaying to the turn or the river certainly does improve though if Villain will continue firing on the big streets with just ace-high but will fold that hand if you play back at him.

His stats are fairly aggro. If he happens to be a flop auto-raiser, then going for a flop bet/3-bet certainly is a consideration. And even if he isn't an auto-raiser (and most NL players aren't), if he's got an overpair there's a good chance he'll raise you with that. And then you can be disappointed when a 9 falls on the turn and counterfeits your hand /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Jouster777
02-19-2007, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pf is marginal, folding is fine flop, either bet/3bet or c/r big

[/ QUOTE ]Small 2-pairs need to be played fast as they are extremely vulnerable in general + in this case there is a fairly wet flop too. Get as much in as you can on the flop. If he calls your bet(s) on the flop you can think about feigning weakness on the turn once you boat up but crappy 2-pairs are horrible to slowplay.

Panic__NL
02-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree wit Jouster, dont slowplay this on the flop, on the turn you know you have the best hand, so no reason anymore to be extremely agressive I guess, I think you can call the turn hope he is in a flush draw, that he hits on the river and then shove it.

Sneds9
02-19-2007, 11:02 AM
I agree with Panic. You should be betting this flop 100% bottom two pair is not good enough to be slowplaying. It is very vunerable.

On the turn, no need to go crazy on him. I would just be value betting this from now on. Trying to extract the most money out of him.

If he shows any strength on the river (overpair that he doesn't want to fold, maybe hits a flush) then make sure you push.

UnlikelyNinja
02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Pre-flop is iffy. If I'm going to play a marginal hand like this, and I think the guy is stealing, I'm going to raise it and try to take it down pre-flop. Obviously, you can't do this if he calls 3-bets liberally, but if you're pretty tight about your 3-bets in general, he should get the idea and fold.

Pot the flop. That board is very drawy, both with hearts and an OESD as possibilities. You want to give those hands a poor price to continue, and just about anything else is folding anyway.

Once you pot the flop, you can probably bet the turn smallish, maybe 1/3rd of the pot or so. You want to give him the right price to catch a flush draw, if that's what he has (anything else is basically dead to 3 outs). If he raises, pound him with a 3-bet.

As played, if he shoves over your turn bet, call. If he calls, I would lead with a value bet on the river regardless of what falls. Maybe 40% or so of the pot, depending on his tendency to call bets with marginal hands.

Phytopath
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
pre-flop is close, I'd usually fold though it is player dependant.
Flop is the easiest bet/3 bet I've ever seen.

thac
02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Usually with a disguised hand like this, I'll lead flop, lead turn and checkraise river unless the board gets scary.. you get a lot more money in the pot because he has the chance to raise you on two streets and then he can bluff or bet for 'value' with his overpair.

corsakh
02-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Nice hand dude.

I like your preflop call. You have a nice sneaky hand over there which is pretty disguised OOP. Its also so cheap for you and the button has probably nothing anyway.

The flop slowplay is perfect, the board is dry and let the viallin hang himself. Your hand is very strong.

Though I think you went a little overboard on the turn and might have scared him away. You should check call since you do not want to loose a customer with a street to go.

On the river I think you should check again and punish the aggressive monkey with a minraise, so he can not fold to your raise and may even bluff all in.

Keep it up bro, nice.

AceLuby
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop slowplay is perfect, the board is dry and let the viallin hang himself. Your hand is very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it. Personally I never ever ever slowplay bottom two pair, especially w/ a flush draw out there (and the unlikely str8 draw). We get paid off too often to slowplay it. I lead this flop every time. If everyone folds, so be it, but I HATE getting drawn out on. I would lead and maybe call a raise and c/r the turn.

On the turn I'm just smooth calling and leading any river (esp a heart). Now our hand is much more solid and less likely to be drawn out on (vulnerable). This is where I would slowplay, not the flop.

RAHZero
02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
LOL, Ace, I take it you didn't read the rest of Corsakh's post? Yeah, slowplaying in general at uNL is teh suck, especially bottom two pair on a drawy board. Lead or check-raise the flop. As played, I would have led the turn for about half the pot. Don't check-minraise the turn, not only are you showing strength, you fail to get money into the pot. If you're going to raise, make it enough so that if he calls, he has to also call a river shove with anything but a busted draw.