PDA

View Full Version : NL25 - I try to float with an overpair

Triggerle
02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Villian is 42/22/3

Full Tilt Poker
$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
Hero (SB): $25
BB: $105
UTG: $24.65
MP: $22.25
CO: $21.80
BTN: $81.40

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($0.35, 6 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.90, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.25, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $3.25</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $3.25

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif [7/images/graemlins/spade.gif] ($9.75, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="red">MP raises all in to $18</font>, Hero ??

DWarrior
02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I call and then hate myself when he turns over 99.

I also re-raise pf to avoid stuff like this.

Piece of Cake
02-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Yuck. I time down and at the last second realize the dude is 42/22 and call geting 3.6 to 1 but expect to get beat about that often.

I think we need to have decided what we do if opponent pushes before we lead the turn.

Triggerle
02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
The problem is that I usually don't float and therefore have no experience with that move. So my question is if a float here is in any way a good idea.

FWIW he had AA, like always when I try to make a move.

DWarrior
02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I think the problem with floating here is that you have enough of a hand to create a sticky situation. You're effectively turning your hand into a bluff, but it does have value.

Although this may still be the best course of action post-flop.

Also make a note that he jams pot with good hands and see if he does that with c-bets.

DrRock
02-18-2007, 10:16 PM
How do you usually play this one trigger?

Triggerle
02-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Good question. I try to call down cheaply. Sometimes I bail out on the turn before things get to expensive.

zboy
02-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Do you know what floating is?

avfletch
02-19-2007, 06:21 AM
How would you have played it if we change the 5 to an 8?

Jouster777
02-19-2007, 07:03 AM
On the flop your hand is usually good here but very vulnerable and you don't really want to see the turn... so C/R the flop. When the PFR'er pushes after you show a big hand...let it go.

Triggerle
02-19-2007, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, it's smooth calling a flop bet OOP and then leading the turn. Do you have a point?

LaMbaL
02-19-2007, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, it's smooth calling a flop bet OOP and then leading the turn. Do you have a point?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know floating is calling a flop bet on the suspicion that the bettor cannot continue playing on the turn, and take the pot from him there. It can be done both OOP and IP, and without any real hand to back it up.

thac
02-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Floating is generally done in position, I think you're just value calling. You can't really float from OOP because you end up in this situation. If you were in position, you could just call his flop bet and fire the turn when he checks to you/fold when he bets again.

munkey
02-19-2007, 10:37 AM
i don't call the flop OOP, unless I can bet turn and make him fold or he will check behind river with overcards, i.e. I think he will fold/not bet a decent amount of the time.
Given his stats ~ suggest he's pretty aggro I either fold the flop or call and c/fold turn. I don't want to face 3 streets of betting OOP where I beat very few legit hands.

IP as thac says we can bet or c/fold the turn which we can't do here.

Sneds9
02-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Floating OOP is terrible because you can't see the villians action on the turn, so although you'll take a few pots away from him, the few times he may have a hand, you're donating.

However, if you see him check the turn, you can then fire out a bullet and reevaluate then.

BTW, the 2nd poster in this thread. I hope you were joking when you said reraise 88 from the SB preflop.

I think in these situations, (even if it's an overpair) you need to work out whether you need to hit a set or not to be good. If you're calling 88 for set value and you don't hit an 8. Just get rid of them. Or if you ARE going to call, don't get too funny with it.

EMc
02-19-2007, 11:42 AM
In this situation i prefer to either just donk the flop or c/r here, usually donking the flop.

maccamack
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In this situation i prefer to either just donk the flop or c/r here, usually donking the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we donk flop for pot - do we fold to a raise?

Triggerle
02-19-2007, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we donk flop for pot - do we fold to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so. By raising villian would tell us that he thinks he can beat top pair. There are no made hands that beat top pair that we beat here.

This might be the best line to lose the least if we are beaten and still get some value out of AK type hands that might call a donk bet and check behind on the turn.

AceLuby
02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
On that turn we really beat nothing that takes this line, or a REALLY donked AK/AQ/66, but I doubt that given PF &amp; flop

Paul Thomson
02-19-2007, 01:58 PM
check-call, check fold is good here.

if you're going to lead turn make the bet smaller so u can fold to a raise.

zboy
02-19-2007, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know floating is calling a flop bet on the suspicion that the bettor cannot continue playing on the turn, and take the pot from him there. It can be done both OOP and IP, and without any real hand to back it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that floating is a type of bluff usually made in position with the intention to bet the turn.

Emphasis on "bluff."

demon102
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
either fold on the flop or cr, betting on the turn is pure spew imo. Also cr on the flop if villian has AA here will either result in a reraise in which u know where u stand. If villian calls then its likely he has u beat. I prolly just fold on the flop just cuz ur oop.