PDA

View Full Version : Two of the Biggest Mistakes I See

Hank Scorpio
02-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Just wanted to talk a little about two of the biggest mistakes I see at 50 NL from the typical players.

1. Overbetting the Pot (With Large Pots)

There's nothing wrong with betting pot on the river if your hand is well-concealed. For example, if you slow played a set with a flush draw possible, then betting out pot on the river is a very good way of getting money. What I'm talking about are instances when it becomes apparent that your hand is complete.

For example, if you're drawing to a flush on both my flop and turn bets, and the river brings the third suited card, betting pot is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. For one, I'm showing strength by betting both the flop and the turn and I realize that the only way you're betting out on the river is if you complete your draw. So many times recently has this happened to me, making my decision on the river much easier than it should be.

If you do complete your draw, you must bet for value. If the pot is around $30 and I have a set and you only bet $15 into it, I'm going to call. My call is probably wrong, but I can illogically justify it by convincing myself that I'm getting 3-1 and that the hand can also be used for future information. Compare this to betting $30 on the river. Unless my opponent is an idiot, I'm folding this close to always.

It should also be mentioned that these situations refer to examples when your opponent is good. Against a fish betting pot is probably better, but I still believe a bet close to 2/3 of the pot is more effective as I’ve experimented with this and even many of this fish can lay down two pair to a large, pot-sized bet.

An observation that can be inferred from all of this has to do with the principal of chasing draws in general. In most cases, it's only worth chasing a draw (assuming your opponent is pricing you out) on the flop. This is simply due to the reasons mentioned earlier: your implied odds just aren’t high enough to be chasing. A more effective approach is betting or raising with draws (this is poker 101, though).

2. Check Raising Sucks

Last night I was playing a game against a below-average player. I had been involved in a ton of hands with him before and he was playing a tight, passive style (I was pushing him around). I was dealt K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif and the flop came J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. We both had stacks of close to 3 times the buy-in. The pot is around $5 and he checks to me. I bet $4 and he immediately check-raises to $18. Before I call or push, I evaluate the situation. I know he doesn’t have JJ+ as that would have called for a PF re-raise with him being out of position in the big blind. Why would such a passive player re-raise that much on such a dry board? I then put him on a set. The only hand that I could beat, besides a complete bluff (which wouldn’t make sense with his style) was AJ. Because of the size of our stacks and the fact that I knew I would be risking a ton of money (three buyins), I decided to lay it down.

Now, you might disagree with the way I played that hand, but that’s not important here. What I’m trying to say is that check-raising on the flop is extremely bad if you have a very good hand or even just a good hand on a dry board (and to a lesser extent, a draw-heavy board since it allows free cards). It makes your hand very transparent at that point and there isn’t much more money you’ll be getting from your opponent if he is at least a little smart. A much better approach might be check-raising the turn, since it has a good chance of making the pot very big at that point and possibly committing your opponent to the pot. If you’re the type who wants to have this move in your game, just remember that you must balance it out with bluffs at least once in awhile. The only problem with this is that you’re risking a lot for a little.

A lot of this might seem so obvious, but I played a long session last night and couldn’t believe the amount of times both plays happened to me. Everyone’s welcome to discuss this further.

LooseCaller
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
so then wouldn't check-raise bluffing on dry boards be an incredibly effective play against people who think and play like you?

BalugaWhale
02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so then wouldn't check-raise bluffing on dry boards be an incredibly effective play against people who think and play like you?

[/ QUOTE ]

thac
02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Definitely, but a lot of people aren't patient enough to lay down overpairs like Hank.

Xanta
02-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Baluga you alluded to the effectiveness of that play in a SSNL post but you said that you wouldn't elaborate on it. Care to talk about the criteria for making that play now?

Hank Scorpio
02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but there are two problems with this. 1. Most players at MSNL aren't capable of folding an overpair like KK (which might have been right or wrong in the hand I posted, but it doesn't matter). 2. You're risking a large amount of money for a small gain (since the flop is small at the time you bet out).

Point #2 is why check-raising isn't worth it at this level. You better be farily certain that your opponent either has a marginal hand or is capable of laying down a nice hand. This is why I believe a check-raise is only good on the turn or river.

Speedlimits
02-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I like to check-raise flush draws a lot, people usually get off their hands and if not I have 9 outs so it is a profitable semi-bluff. As far as betting pot, the standard 3/4 2/3 1/2 rule (flop, turn, river) is usually optimal.

Your KK hand was interesting, I probably call flop and re-eval turn because most people don't play flopped sets that strongly at 50nl. Be interested in what baluga has to say, later.

Antinome
02-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Hank-

For the reasons you mention when I c/r flop it is a mix of hands that includes semibluffs that want the FE, good hands that cannot improve, with a very small number of monsters. I'm not really a big fan of check raising.... ever, but I feel it needs to be in the arsenal.

People who just do it with monsters are idiots, and I love them, since they let us off easy.

matrix
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to mention one of the biggest mistakes I see at uNL from 2p2 types.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Giving the opposition too much credit...

[ QUOTE ]

I still believe a bet close to 2/3 of the pot is more effective as I’ve experimented with this and even many of this fish can lay down two pair to a large, pot-sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

if they're folding - how do you know what they folded???

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a game against a below-average player a tight, passive ... flop came J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. We both had stacks of close to 3 times the buy-in. The pot is around $5 and he checks to me. I bet $4 and he immediately check-raises to $18. I know he doesn’t have JJ+ as that would have called for a PF re-raise with him being out of position in the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Correct optimal play may well be in this position to 3bet preflop with JJ. However this guy is tight passive! - tight passives generally speaking do not 3bet preflop JJ they wait for AA/KK IME also they rarely notice or take appropriate action regarding their position - they tend to think on level one - intermittently - only considering their cards and possibly the holding of their opponent.

A below average uNL player does not think about poker in the same way as you do.

An average uNL player does not think about poker the same way as you do.

Very few uNL players do not think about poker the same way as you do.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would such a passive player re-raise that much on such a dry board? I then put him on a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

why indeed?

Poker is a game of situations - you repeatedly find yourself in situations where you are trying to discern your opponents hand and also what he might do with that hand on later streets, every opponent is slightly different - on different days under different amounts of tilt/tiredness/intoxicants/etc the same people will play differently. You can generalise lots of the time and similar players will make similar plays much of the time - often a TP player check raising the flop has a big hand - you have a bunch of info at the table that you can use so a fold may well have been good here - however you also beat QQ here you also beat a myriad of other hands and have good outs vs anything BUT a set that this guy might play completely differently to the way you would expect.
Narrowing his range this hand to *just* a set I think is giving him too much credit.

At the end of the day you played this hand - you have history vs this villain and probably the fold was a good one - but don't ever be surprised to push here and find he has 99 and is semi-bluffing.

People do weird things all the time especially if you are "pushing them around" - even "solid" players who you have tagged as players to mostly keep out the way of have brain farts and totally misplay things once in a while cos they get distracted by whatever.

Generally speaking unless you have a solid read folding overpairs at these stakes is losing value (tho it does lower your variance) - I think it's probably worth pushing an overpair the first time and getting shown the set (perhaps not 300BB deep) for info later on, finding out for certain what hands he plays this way making a note and adjusting later on.