PDA

View Full Version : Nut flush against boat on the river.

corsakh
02-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Villain is 73/0/2.5 over 30
Holdem No Limit - $0.04 BB

CO ($7.08) [Hero]
Button ($7.58)
SB ($6.19)
BB ($2.75)
UTG ($1.03)
MP ($6.82)

Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Preflop: (6 players, $0.06)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, Button calls $0.04, SB calls $0.02, BB checks

Flop: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif (5 players, $0.2)
SB bets $0.04, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, Button folds, SB calls $0.20

Turn: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players, $0.68)
SB bets $1, Hero raises to $3.50, SB calls $2.50

River: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players, $7.68)
SB bets $2.41 and is All-In, Hero ???

Getting 1 to 4, what do I do?

Unknown Soldier
02-18-2007, 07:13 AM
flop is bad, do you think a J is folding ever?
turn is fine obviously, and the river is a fold, you beat nothing but a bluff and from this line it's very unlikely.

corsakh
02-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Why would you think someone has a jack on the flop?
If you say river is a fold, what hand is he calling my turn raise with?

Zagga
02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Why is the river a fold? the pot is 7.68 and he only bets 2,41 more. Thats 4-1 pot odds and you do have the nut flush. surely he probadly has you beat but could also be doing this with only A high as kicker. I would definatly call there (not if he had more stack and would go allin for more then half the pot though)

ipushufold
02-18-2007, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is the river a fold? the pot is 7.68 and he only bets 2,41 more. Thats 4-1 pot odds and you do have the nut flush. surely he probadly has you beat but could also be doing this with only A high as kicker. I would definatly call there (not if he had more stack and would go allin for more then half the pot though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. Lets put our opponents on hands we beat.

I just call the flop. If he has a jack he ain't folding and will keep firing and will have a hard time laying it down if we hit our flush.

Turn is fine and river is a fold.

BaxterTheActor
02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Fold the river. It's clear that he has at least a pair when he calls flop and turn raises. Best you are hoping for is QT, which isn't likely.

As for the rest of the hand, I'd say the flop raise should be made based around the player's tendencies. It certianly isn't a bad play, and most of the time you'll take down the pot right away. Specifically, against 73 VPIP, I'd raise it up all day. Turn looks good. Fold river.

corsakh
02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't see much logic in statements like "fold river because any pair beats you". A pair makes zero sense in this hand. I mean look at it step by step.

He opens the flop with a minbet. Typically a min bet can be of three kinds:

1) A monster. In this case he hit a jack.
2) A scared card. He hit a 4. Pocket pair, say 88, possible too.
3) He is on a draw. The only draw possible is a flush draw.

I bet pot from CO, representing a jack.

The turn comes a high spade which is a scary card for 4, pp and jack. This time he overbets the pot. Now overbets can be of several types too:

1) I hit my flush. Many villains change their bet patterns radically when they are on a draw and hit a draw. Some minbet with a draw, then bet strongly when they hit. Others bet strongly on a draw and bet little when they hit. This is a typical pattern, so a flush is a possibility.
2) He hit a four, puts me on some pocket pair and tryes to bluff me out of the pot representing a king.
3) He is scared of the flush, but is not worried if I hit the king or not, in this case he has a jack.

If he had a king, he would not want to overbet the pot, so the king is out.

So, all three original cases still make sense: a jack, a four and a pp.

I raise hard.

A made flush certainly calls.
A jack probably calls.
But I can not see a 4 or a small pocket calling. Its a big raise, second time.

The river comes a jack. So jack is out of equation and the only thing making any sense to me right now is a made flush, a king, AA or 44.

I would be glad to see a flaw in my thought process showing that he can call my turn raise with a pocket pair or a four. In this case I fold. I could not think that could be possible.

Mal_Pais
02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Ugly river card. Can't imagine what you're beating. FWIW, I think Villian had already boated by the turn.

Bonesy
02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I raise or fold pf. I think SB has a pair leading out into 4 others on the flop. I haven't a clue which one it is but I believe he has one. Maybe some lame 4 so I would lay down on the river as played. I could be way off though and don't have a feel at all for the way they play at this limit.