PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

02-18-2007, 03:40 AM

Shadowrun
02-18-2007, 03:58 AM
5 yrs:

finishing up law school

10 yrs:

working as a lawyer (maybe trying to write a book)

20 yrs:

Dead

Kimbell175113
02-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Degen,

How old are you?

Shadowrun,

I was soo getting ready to do that, the "dead" thing.

lippy
02-18-2007, 04:57 AM
5; finishing up or in the middle of law school

10 years; married with at least 1 kid, financially secure and very happy

20 years; same as 10 years, but very affluent.

steel108
02-18-2007, 05:03 AM
lol @ people wishing they were in law school and in the profession. You guys have no clue what's in store for you.

adsman
02-18-2007, 05:05 AM
I have no idea. Which is how I like it.

NoahSD
02-18-2007, 06:39 AM
God.. thinking about this is really depressing me.

whiskeytown
02-18-2007, 06:52 AM
5 yrs - I'd like to have this album I've written out, a couple more under the belt and a buzz amongst the general community that I'm one hell of a songwriter.

10 yrs - I'd like to be a family man by then

20 yrs - I'd like to be hiding back in the woods in MT by then, but I'll probably still be grinding at my day job for all three time periods...

----------

this is all academic, of course - guys like me usually die violently and early at the hands of others - LOL - but I've been less trouble since the whiskey stopped flowing..

Howard Treesong
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Five years: pretty much same as now, perhaps one spot up the corporate ladder. The Little Treesongs will be starting junior high, so it'll be time to pick a place and stay there for five or six years; until then, we have a reasonable expectation that my career may take us elsewhere in the US or possibly abroad. We'll have bought a vacation home on O'ahu.

Ten years: general counsel of fortune 500 company, with ski chalet. Facing college costs and two rebellious teenage girls that 2p2ers will drool over, given that they're half-Asian.

Twenty years: Mrs. T will finally get irreedeemably angry at me and I'll join up with Degen in Thailand.

Shadowrun
02-18-2007, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol @ people wishing they were in law school and in the profession. You guys have no clue what's in store for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at this comment

Gobias Ind.
02-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Kind of depressing reading this. My senior year of HS ('99), my 12th grade English teacher had us do one of these "where we saw ourselves in 10 years" papers. He took down our parentss addresses was planning to mail them out ten years to the day. It was a tradition he did every year.

Reading this post made me think about how I'm no where near that point on the map. I'm single, not even remotely successful. I'm not "on my way", as I grind out low level poker every day to get by.

Things were a lot different when you still had your whole life ahead of you. 7 years later, you only look back at the things you could've and would've done differently. Regret occupies the loft where optimism used to live.

SEABEAST
02-18-2007, 05:18 PM
5 years time: I'll have a degree, house fully paid off and second one on the way.

10 years time: I'll have at least one child. I sure hope.

20 years time: I will have mastered something, and will spend much of my time teaching it to others in some way shape or form. I will have more than enough money to retire on but spend my time productively anyway, because I will have already spent so much of my life relaxing as it is, and will have navigated myself towards a field that I care about.

No idea on the specifics or how poker fits in to any of this, and obviously a lot hinges on how relationships turn out, but this is what I hope for/imagine. I'm 24.

Innocent Kitty
02-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Currently Own 2 rental houses, and am recently married

In five years: Own 10 rentals, have at least 1 kid

In ten years: own 25 rentals with and have >$1 million net worth, and have at least 2 kids

In twenty years: own at least 25 rentals with >$4 million net worth and > $20,000/mo. net income, be able to help my kids either set up their own businesses or further their education.

These numbers are in todays values, not inflation adjusted.

The only thing that motivates me is thinking of my future family. I really don't care about having the nicest car or house. I just don't want my financial status to limit my kids in any way.

If I were never planning on having a family, I would be spending a lot of time/money on travelling and probably be on the same debt treadmill as 95% of Americans.

Howard Treesong
02-18-2007, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at this comment

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I thought this comment was really silly. I enjoyed law school well enough, and loved practice -- and now love my job in-house. I know plenty of colleagues who feel the same way; so too are many of my former partners in private practice very happy and satisfied.

Law can be fun. It can also be boring and stupid. It's sort of like the rest of the world. Duh.

Cancuk
02-18-2007, 05:43 PM
I have no idea. I don't want to know.

02-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Leaky Eye
02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Five Years: I will probably be doing another startup venture.

Ten Years: My company will provide jobs and opportunity to many people.

Twenty Years: I will fire 10,000 people to move the stock up two points just so I can sell some backdated options and buy a bigger house.

JuntMonkey
02-18-2007, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Things were a lot different when you still had your whole life ahead of you. 7 years later, you only look back at the things you could've and would've done differently. Regret occupies the loft where optimism used to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. I graduated in 1998 and feel nothing like this. I still feel like I have my whole life ahead of me, and I do. You do too. Change something in your life man, that is a depressing paragraph to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated the same year as him ('99) and feel pretty similar. I might have to wind up going back to school if I ever decide what I want to do.

AJFenix
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nation
02-18-2007, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BHold
02-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Why in the world are you all just discussing financial milestones? Is that what you really dream of?

Innocent Kitty
02-18-2007, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why in the world are you all just discussing financial milestones? Is that what you really dream of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its because finances are the main focus of this forums demographics.

ed8383
02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
5 years definitely dead.

g-p
02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
5 years, ballin
10 years, divorced a few times
20 years, showing kids how to keep it real

BigPoppa
02-19-2007, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're in your mid 20's. Your whole life is still ahead of you.

Who said you have to give up just because you're not on the fast-track? (the fast track sucks, btw)

BigPoppa
02-19-2007, 12:24 AM
5 years: Living someplace fun, teaching, writing, dating girls half my age

10 years: Living someplace fun, teaching, writing, dating girls half my age

20 years: Living someplace nice but boring, teaching, writing, married to a girl half my age, coaching the grandkids in Little League (assuming my son gets his crap together at some point)

Paluka
02-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Is this really a good thread idea for this forum?

02-19-2007, 01:00 AM

PartyGirlUK
02-19-2007, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so

fish2plus2
02-19-2007, 01:28 AM
"Facing college costs and two rebellious teenage girls that 2p2ers will drool over, given that they're half-Asian."

pics in 10 years please.

limon
02-19-2007, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Currently Own 2 rental houses, and am recently married

In five years: Own 10 rentals, have at least 1 kid

In ten years: own 25 rentals with and have >$1 million net worth, and have at least 2 kids

In twenty years: own at least 25 rentals with >$4 million net worth and > $20,000/mo. net income, be able to help my kids either set up their own businesses or further their education.

These numbers are in todays values, not inflation adjusted.

The only thing that motivates me is thinking of my future family. I really don't care about having the nicest car or house. I just don't want my financial status to limit my kids in any way.

If I were never planning on having a family, I would be spending a lot of time/money on travelling and probably be on the same debt treadmill as 95% of Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

same as kitty exept NO KIDS and at the 10 yeaqr mark i hope to go to southern dunes and beat dewey tomko out of a quarter mil (no joke). somebody is going to lose alot of money either way.

at 20 years ill probably just play poker , collect rents, and give golf lessons to old ladies...unless i really improve my long iron play then ill shoot for the senior tour.

nath
02-19-2007, 02:20 AM
See, I'm pretty sure that if you'd asked me at any point in my life up until I turned 24, my answer would have been so far off from what actually happened that it would have been laughable.

At this point, I don't even try to guess. Anything that involves me being alive is something of a shock. I assume I'll be dead, God, or have saved the world before it's all over.

Slider
02-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Degen,

If you keep partying as hard as you do, 20 years might not be in the realms of your reach /images/graemlins/wink.gif

5 Years - Hopefully, finished degree and own my first property or two.

10 Years - Married Probably... Few baller kids.

20 Years - Senior PGA tour training/

lapoker17
02-19-2007, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Five Years: I will probably be doing another startup venture.

Ten Years: My company will provide jobs and opportunity to many people.

Twenty Years: I will fire 10,000 people to move the stock up two points just so I can sell some backdated options and buy a bigger house.

[/ QUOTE ]

holla.

kitaristi0
02-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Five years: Will have finished my university studies and gotten my British citizenship. Will also be financially stable without having to get a 9-5.

Ten years: No idea.

Twenty years: No idea. Hopefully rich, married, maybe with a kid or two.

The Yugoslavian
02-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I think this is an *excellent* idea for a thread. It's a v difficult question and I dno what to say right now /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Oh, at the very least '99 in da house!!

Let's see...it's interesting most of these are based around wealth or having kid(s).

5 years: still RULE at life. Have awesome relationships that are healthy and invigorating....get started on being ROBUSTO....exercising regularly and in good health

10 years: still RULE at life. Have awesome relationships that are healthy and invigorating....closer to being ROBUSTO....exercising regularly and in good health

20 years: still RULE at life. Have awesome relationships that are healthy and invigorating....be ROBUSTO....exercising regularly and in good health

lol ok maybe this is a retarded topic now that I've answered, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Yugoslav

NoMeansYes_
02-19-2007, 07:35 PM
5 years from now: bench pressing 220kg

10 years from now: bench pressing 310kg

20 years from now: bench pressing 60kg

El Diablo
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Degen,

By 5 years from now I would hope to have one or two businesses that I'm involved in either grown to the point of being long-term viable standalone companies or sold.

I would like to find the person I end up marrying.

I would like to own a home.

The first and the third I can control a lot and are almost surely going to happen. The middle one of course is the real challenge.

10 years from now, I'd ideally like to have a couple of kids.

20 years from now, I'm hopefully doing stuff completely different than what I'm doing now. Whether that means retired on a beach, being a major player in high-finance, or being heavily involved in charity, or just spending tons of time with my wife and kids, who knows. Could be anything.

fslexcduck
02-19-2007, 11:21 PM
5 years - starting a career as an attorney for the ACLU, very successful personally (finally have kicked the internet time-wasting habit and am constantly keeping myself busy in fulfilling ways), have been in one long-term 2-3 yr relationship but am probably single again

10 - in a long term relationship and thinking about children, feeling a lot more comfortable in hopefully the same career with the ACLU or some similar organization

20- still working full-time but now doing 40 hour weeks. have 2-3 children and am in successful relationship with someone i'm in love with. playing basketball and tennis a lot, still living in park slope, writing and hopefully also performing comedy in my spare time. investments have made me pretty well off such that i don't have to worry about children's financial well-being.

daryn
02-19-2007, 11:21 PM
haha, am i the only one who doesn't really care to be rich? i just to own my own home, have the things i like, and be comfortable. i don't need too much money for that.

not sure about a family. sure, the ideal family would be great, i'm just not sure it's attainable.

kidcolin
02-19-2007, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, am i the only one who doesn't really care to be rich?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

ImsaKidd
02-19-2007, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, am i the only one who doesn't really care to be rich? i just to own my own home, have the things i like, and be comfortable. i don't need too much money for that.

not sure about a family. sure, the ideal family would be great, i'm just not sure it's attainable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i only want $$ so I dont have to worry about it. Seems like not worrying about college for my kids or retirement $$ would be very nice.

Shadowrun
02-20-2007, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5 years - starting a career as an attorney for the ACLU, very successful personally (finally have kicked the internet time-wasting habit and am constantly keeping myself busy in fulfilling ways), have been in one long-term 2-3 yr relationship but am probably single again

10 - in a long term relationship and thinking about children, feeling a lot more comfortable in hopefully the same career with the ACLU or some similar organization

20- still working full-time but now doing 40 hour weeks. have 2-3 children and am in successful relationship with someone i'm in love with. playing basketball and tennis a lot, still living in park slope, writing and hopefully also performing comedy in my spare time. investments have made me pretty well off such that i don't have to worry about children's financial well-being.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much does the aclu pay for your position, obviously if your uncomfortable answering than dont.

fslexcduck
02-20-2007, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

how much does the aclu pay for your position, obviously if your uncomfortable answering than dont.

[/ QUOTE ] no idea - im guessing starting at like 50-60k or something like that in nyc...?

TheMetetron
02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Finances are no part of my goals other than to allow me to continue to travel. If that means poker, fine. If it is something else, that is okay too.

I'd like to continue traveling until around 30 or so and at that point perhaps look to settle down. If I had done this at any other time in my life I would have been horribly wrong, so I won't attempt to get too specific.

If I can keep traveling and live in a few different countries for the next 7-10 years or so I am okay with that. After that, who knows. Maybe more of the same, maybe a wife and kids, no idea which country.

TyFuji
02-20-2007, 04:28 AM
5 years - Wired Magazine column
10 years - Wired Magazine front page
20 years - Wired Magazine editor-in-chief

testaaja
02-20-2007, 07:16 AM
5- Hopefully finished business school
10- living abroad doing something neat.
20- I wouldn't be surprised if I'm dead with this style of living.

4_2_it
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
5 - Hoping that college for my kids doesn't bankrupt me

10 - Kids out of the house. Travel the world with my wife.

20 - Retire and play with my grandchildren.

Dids
02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a good thread idea that's been subject to some horribly low content posts that should probably be nuked.

Answers in the form of a discussion are great. Lists suck. Posts that generate lists absent discussion suck.

For Dids:

5 years- I'd like to become an adult. To me this means 1- actually having savings, investments, and have finally finished up my degree. I'd like to be married and have kids. I'm 30, so 35 seems a bit late to have kids.

10 years+ I'm honestly not sure. I'm not somebody who is driven by careers or by money. I'd like to be comfortable, I'd like to be able to take care of my family, my folks. Beyond that I don't have much in the way of specific goals.

Kneel B4 Zod
02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30, so 35 seems a bit late to have kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

only if you're a girl. my dad did it rock star style, having me when he was 52.

I'm not sure where my goals are. financial independence is a big one - in 5-10 years I'd like to figure out how to get that accomplished.

I'd like to have kids, but I'm in no hurry (I'm 31). I think I've figured out the solution, which basically is to continually date younger and younger girls /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dids
02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Zod,

For me it's about wanting to be able to do active stuff with my kids when they're teenagers. I don't want to be 55 and trying to play ball with my 15 year old son.

milesdyson
02-20-2007, 01:08 PM
@29: Hopefully no longer working 40 hours/week. Maybe have a bar or restaurant or some other method of money making. I haven't done too much thinking about it. Hopefully still single with a very good idea of who and what I'm looking for in a girl.

@34: Probably married by now, but maybe not. If I do have kids ever I want to have 1 or 2 by now. Judging by these statements it looks like years 29-33 are going to be crazy. Hopefully at this time I have a lot of personal time because "work" is taking care of itself.

@44: Hopefully married I think...? It's really hard to even imagine twenty years from now. I just hope I enjoy life a lot at this point.

Kneel B4 Zod
02-20-2007, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zod,

For me it's about wanting to be able to do active stuff with my kids when they're teenagers. I don't want to be 55 and trying to play ball with my 15 year old son.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, there is the downside. there is also the sad downside that I'm 31, and my dad probably only has a few years left, and won't know any grandchildren I have very well.

Jason Strasser (strassa2)
02-22-2007, 02:42 AM
After 5 years I'd like to have a clue whats going on in the world of finance. If I'm still with Morgan Stanley I'd hope to enjoy getting up everyday to go to work. Maybe I'll hate finance though and be in a totally different industry. Whatever it is I hope to have enjoy getting up in the morning. I'd also like to know enough to be able to manage my own money instead of paying others to do it. I'd like to be active socially, but I dont think by the time I'm 27 I have any necessity for a serious gf/wife type thing.

By 32 I'd like to be married or at least close to it, and hopefully making some good money doing something I enjoy.

By 42, I'd like to have gotten into something entrepenurial/diablo style (except I'd run better and actually cash in on my startups /images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

-Jason

imthaifool
02-22-2007, 03:14 AM
5 years: I don't know.
10 years: I don't know.
20 years: I don't know.
I like to take it one day at a time.

Rooger
02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
5 years: Hopefully started my medical internship. Still poor after the life as a student. Maybe living with my current girlfriend?

10 years: Finished internship. Maybe specializing as a paediatric? Maybe as a traumatologist? Maybe working with Doctors Without Borders? If I'm in a relationship, probably having a child or one on the way.

20 years: Wife & kids I love, and hopefully finished specializing. Not 60+ h/w. Time for friends, family & hobbies.

gamblore99
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
me= 22

5 years- working for my dad, living in my own condo downtown. Spending my time out with friends, sleeping with many girls. No real commitments, just having fun and working hard. Starting to think about finding the girl I want to marry in a few years.

10 years- Married, first kid on the way. Starting up my own company, moving into a nice house.

20 years- 3-4 kids, still married, successful business. Maybe I have a young mistress on the side who I start a second family with.