** Dealing Down Cards **
Dealt to HERO: [Kh, Kc]

Player 3: Fold
Player 4: Fold
Player 5: Fold
Player 6: Raise ($2)
Player 1: Fold

HERO: Raise To ($6) Is this Right?

Or 3x the raise + the blinds - To $6.75?
Or $6.75 MORE ie Raise TO $8.75?

He calls my $6 raise with a small pocket pair looking to flop a set, and does, and stacks me. How much to re-raise him so his call would be a mistake, and yet how big of a 3Bet is too big?

Spanky1974
02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Someone on 2+2 suggested just under 4x the raise. I have been trying that with good success. Make it $7.75. Most of the time you just take it down PF, but if you want more action you can open up your 3bet range and they will start calling more often.

RAHZero
02-17-2007, 09:18 PM
For me, it's all based on situations and feel. I play NL $50, and if someone minraises, I'll often repop it up big, to like $5 or so, or even $6 with a cold-caller in between. If someone raises to the standard $1.75-$2, I'll repop to $6 occasionally in position, but more often $7 or so. OOP, I'll go to at least $7, sometimes $8. In general, against a minraise I like to make bigger than pot-sized raises. In position, against a standard raise, I'll make a pot-sized raise or a slightly greater than pot sized raise. OOP, agianst a normal raise, I'll make a bigger than pot sized raise.

In your case, you're OOP against a standard 4xBB raiser. This is a case where I like a bigger than pot-sized raise, to $7. If you 3-bet often, you can raise less, since your opponnent's implied odds won't always be there. If you only 3-bet a very tight range, then you need to raise more to avoid giving him good odds to try and hit his set. In general, a raise that is slightly more than 10% of the effective stack sizes is enough to avoid giving the right set odds to a lower PP.