PDA

View Full Version : Forum discussion, thread suggestion, and random comment thread

El Diablo
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
OK, this is the place to post whatever random stuff you want to post, to post new thread ideas, to give me a yell if you've been active here but haven't been added to the thread starter list, etc.

There are a bunch of potentially interesting threads to start listed throughout this thread: Thread Suggestions (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9105432&an=0&page=0#Post 9105432)

Anyone looking for ideas on topics to post, skim that thread (the OP summarizes suggestions from previous threads and the responses have a bunch of new suggestions).

In additions to thread suggestions, this thread is open for whatever random crap you want to post or ask about. I'll give a quick update on forum stuff in my next post.

KDawg
02-16-2007, 06:54 PM
don't know if you saw it as it was right at teh end of the last thread. But, I'd really like to see a wine review thread like the one you have going for the whisky thread. I'd also like to see more wine varietal theme threads like the zin one as there was a lot of good info in that and I think it'd be cool to one going for even the more common varietals that people drink

El Diablo
02-16-2007, 07:08 PM
All,

Pretty happy w/ the tone the forum has taken. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated. Starting to see a nice variety of threads. One thing I commented on that I'll reiterate is that I'd definitely like to see some branching out from the broad survey type threads. Movie reviews, current events, random situations - anything interesting is fair game. Just consider when making a post whether it would do better in OOT or here. If it lends itself to more in-depth discussion/perspective, here is probably the right place. If it's gonna be better w/ a sh*tload of responses/votes/opinions, then you'll have better luck at OOT.

I've been updating the stickied resource guide thread. Lemme know if you think I've missed any good threads that belong up there.

I went through the thread suggestions list plus made a list of people who have been posting good content in a lot of threads. From that we came up with this list of about 70 new names to add to the thread starter list. We obviously aren't reading every thread and aren't going through people one by one, so I'm sure I missed a few good contributors. If that's you, don't sweat it, just post here or fire me a PM. I think we got most people who made good suggestions and have been posting regularly.

Here's the list of additions, Ryan will be adding these soon (I know he's pretty swamped w/ forum upgrade stuff, so don't worry if it doesn't happen immediately):

.Alex.
4_2_it
7ontheline
Abones
Aces McGee
ALawPoker
Banks2334
bernie
bugstud
cbloom
chesspain
chicagoTroy
Citanul
cjmewett
claudenm
Clayton
cobrakai111
drunkhamster
durrrr
Eagles
econophile
ElSapo
EMcWilliams
ethan
EvanJC
firstyearclay
FoxwoodsFiend
Go_Blue88
jackflashdrive
Jake (The Snake)
Jay.
jgorham
Justin A
KDawg
keikiwai
kidcolin
KOTLP
LearnedfromTV
lippy
LuckOfTheDraw
LyinKing
milliondollaz
mlagoo
mntbikr15
Monty Cantsin
MyTurn2Raise
NorCalJosh
nyc999
pete fabrizio
Philuva
PITTM
Punkass
rageotones
raptor517
Razor
skunkworks
SL__72
SlowHabit
talentdeficit
The Ocho
The X-Factor
TimM
traz
TyFuji
Victor
wacki
Wes ManTooth
woodguy
XXXNoahXXX
yellowsub
yvesaint
ZBTHorton

El Diablo
02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
K,

Good thing I added you to the list then, Dawg.

Los Feliz Slim
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Random comment: I'm pretty disappointed that nobody tried to buy or trade for my Bowmore 25, because I'm having a bitch of a time making a deal anywhere.

The forum is fantastic.

El Diablo
02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
LFS,

Thanks!

As for the scotch, it's a sign. Open it up and start drinking, how often are you gonna drink 25yo scotch?

Whoa, WTF! Good review. (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1696,00.html) Dude, drink that delicious stuff!

Interestingly, the price has gone up from $150 to $250 in the last year and a half. Apparently there is a shortage of older-vintage stuff. So maybe it will go up more...

It does sound like this is gonna be more like an old Balvenie or Macallan as opposed to an old Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

So if what you really love is peat, maybe hold off and try a bit more to trade. Have you tried craigslist? Or maybe some sort of scotch club or something, there must be something like that in LA.

TheGrifter
02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
This forum is badly in need of a "911 conspiracy theory" thread.

Also "Who Fathered Anna-Nicoles Baby".

and "Best out of the way brothels"

Los Feliz Slim
02-16-2007, 07:59 PM
El D,

I posted something on Chowhound earlier and they DELETED MY [censored] POST, THE [censored]! Yeah, apparently this stuff is hard to get, which is part of the reason liquor stores won't help, I guess they don't want ONE bottle of anything. Now that I've done all this reading I'll probably just drink this AND buy the Laphroaig 30 that looks so freaking good.

El Diablo
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
LFS,

"I'll probably just drink this AND buy the Laphroaig 30 that looks so freaking good."

Now you're finally talking like a high-powered Hollywood agent.

KDawg
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
sweet, time to do some thinking for the what varietal to start a thread on

Eagles
02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Ya I'll probably start a new thread soonish once I get some good ideas.

BTW El D
I looked through the list of new posters and I pretty much think everyone on that list is a very good poster.

Cancuk
02-17-2007, 12:55 AM
El D,

I don't know if there's any interest in it as there has been a lot of "ask me" threads here...but I have travelled extensively through Latin America (Mexico, Central, and South America), Western Europe, Middle East (Turkey to Egypt over land), Asia (China-Tibet-Nepal-India) and South East Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Laos). I've just got home from my latest jaunt and would love to answer any questions that people have. All of this travel has been "backpacking"...travelling on the bare minimum, which I think make lots of the stories a lot more interesting. Either way, if you think this is a good idea, write back and i'll start it.

Cheers,

Cancuk

KingDan
02-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Don't know if I suck or not, but some of my friends and I recently started boxing. None of us know what we are doing, but so far it's been enjoyable. Mind if I made a thread about about equipment, training, soon to be matches, etc?

captZEEbo
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Somehow I think the reason that this whole forums works out is from the desire to please el diablo.

NewTeaBag
02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
wouldn't mind a "Nuclear Power:The future of energy production or..." Thread

PS I'm a former Nuc Engineer...

El Diablo
02-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Zeebo,

That's cool!

ahnuld
02-19-2007, 10:33 AM
D,

whats the situation with hilarious video links?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3oHpup-pk

not sure how we are supposed to treat stuff like this but it needs to be seen.

El Diablo
02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
ah,

Stick 'em in this thread. Or even better, post it in LoL and post a link in this thread notifying us of the awesomeness. Like so: Check out these Awesome Marisa Miller pics (NSFW) (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9201824&an=0&page=0#Post 9201824) I posted in LoL!

Kimbell175113
02-19-2007, 04:12 PM
D,

Maybe sticky "On Changing your Life"? It's a classic, and a good example of what all threads in this forum should aspire to. Or maybe wait a while and have a sticky with links to the best threads of EDGDF once we get a few more and have some history.

This whole thing is greatness, by the way.

Sniper
02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe wait a while and have a sticky with links to the best threads of EDGDF once we get a few more and have some history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already exists /images/graemlins/cool.gif ... Resource Guide (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=9092356)

Kimbell175113
02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Did I really not notice that?

Ouch.

adios
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
learn more about real estate soon. Could we get a thread started on REITs?

[/ QUOTE ]

REITs fall into 3 basic categories:

1. Property

2. Mortgage

3. Hybrid

Property REITs include all kinds of different property types like apartments, office buildings, shopping malls, health care facilities, even jails. Many more types of properties.

Mortgate REITs are varied as well. Some are just leveraged bond funds more or less that own Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS) purchased with borrowed money both residential and commerical. Some fill in niches in lending like "jumbo" lending and sub-prime lending. Due dilligence is required in understanding the various business models. Basically mortgage REITs are heavily involved with the "carry trade" i.e. borrowing short and lending long.

Hybrid REITs are a combination of mortgage REITs and property REITs. Not that many of these. Here's a link to decent site for finding out more specific info on REITs.

National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (http://www.nareit.com/)

offTopic
02-19-2007, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, this is the place to post whatever random stuff you want to post

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've only eaten a couple of meals that would have qualified for citanul's thread, but the service component did remind me of an odd thing that happened last weekend.

My wife and I went to dinner, and had a pretty bad server. The guy wasn't tweaking or rude or anything, he just wasn't there much. The couple at the table next to us might have had something else going on (I wasn't really paying attention, but the guy was talking on his phone for a while) and they just got up an left with iced tea and bread on the table.

After that happened, another woman came and took our order. I heard her ask our guy which area/station/whatever he was working, so she could put the order in correctly. Then, a third server refilled my wife's soda. A fourth server delivered our food, and the third guy came back and bussed the bread plate. Finally, "our guy" came back and checked on us a couple of times before we got the bill and paid.

Weird. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tron
02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I had a dream about Whitney from The Hills last night so I thought I would just update everyone and tell you that I have yet to meet her or interact with her in any way. I haven't even seen her this semester! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Arnfinn Madsen
02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
There is a subject I would like serious discussion about, I have discovered a pearl in a low cost country where the tourist infrastructure is in place and it is perfect for Norwegian taste. I am thinking of settling there and be a sort of tour operator, running an operation which welcomes Norwegian tourists, guides them in their own language (me + a local who has lived in Norway and speaks fluent) take care of everything they need etc..

-What kind of revenue can I make? I have thought of guided tours, transport to/from airport, provision from hotels and maybe even restaurants and some other entertainment. Anything more? Is this sufficient?
-How can I protect my revenues? People like to order their plane tickets on internet, so that part I will skip. But hotels, guided tours etc., I think they prefer that somebody take care of since it is a bit risky, right?
-Who can I convince to pay marketing costs? I would guess local tourist office, maybe regional/national, maybe one selected hotel and one selected entertainment. Anything more?
-How can I market it?

In general I think it could foster some discussion about modern tourism in general, it has dualism, on one hand people like to click more and more on the internet to fix everything which makes a lot of traditional travel agencies redundant, on the other hand people are searching for something special, something personal and that you don't find on lufthansa.de. People seem to go more towards exploration, off the beaten path etc. and away from typical packaged tours; but at the same time their are willing to pay more for the perfect trip so the packaged tour not branded as a packaged tour might be the way to go?

Leaky Eye
02-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Total nit.

I thought the what to do in SF thread really missed something. I would much rather have residents telling me about a day they would plan, than see them simply link restaurants. I can find that information anywhere.

And yes I am aware I didn't contribute. Maybe when I get a few minutes together I will reply to that thread with what I would have liked to see.

El Diablo
02-19-2007, 11:59 PM
LE,

Yeah, get it pointed in a direction, no reason that thread can't go all sorts of ways.

claudenm
02-20-2007, 12:11 AM
All,

Do you get the feeling people have grown sick of reading the 'my story' threads? I've had a lot of interesting thoughts recently, partly spurred on by the whole slew of "why bother living" and "Smart, lazy guy" syndrome threads. I reached a mini-epiphany recently, which is huge for me, and I would like to share it-- even though some will find it uninteresting. Additionally, it involves a long story about my family (gambling addict Dad), my upbringing and various non-life threatening but painful medical maladies. I also think it will be a bit cathartic for me. I may write just write the post and not post it if I get some feedback to that effect. So, what do you think? Post, or no?

Claude

El Diablo
02-20-2007, 12:14 AM
claude,

Write it. Hold off a few days to give people a bit of a break from similar content and then post it.

g-p
02-20-2007, 12:20 AM
smarter people post more here than OOT so i want someone to start a thread about how rich kids should handle everyone around them knowing they have money. like when i get lunch with all my broke friends and the check doesnt get split up, i always feel bad saying "ok you owe 6, you owe 5" etc. same thing goes when we go on road trips and they ask for gas money but they know i dont do the same thing, when i pickup beer/liquor, when i order pizza, or even when they bring over a case of beer (or whatever) and then they always make sure i chip in the correct dollar amounts.

ive noticed that the less i focus on school and the more i contribute rambling poker advice the less eloquent it makes me, so someone who knows what it is to go through this that can capture what im thinking might do a better job than me creating the thread-starter.

El Diablo
02-20-2007, 12:36 AM
gp,

raptor or yellowsub or Taylor Caby are among the kids around here w/ far too much money. Hmmm, I guess Taylor actually isn't really a kid except to old guys like me.

I agree that could be a solid thread for someone like that to start.

g-p
02-20-2007, 12:39 AM
then pull some strings!

traz
02-20-2007, 01:10 AM
fyi this is all a sick trick, because I don't have posting abilities yet

:P

riverboatking
02-20-2007, 06:44 AM
i think we ought to have a thread about how one would go about getting recruited into the CIA.
i have always been fascinted by espionage, and while i would never personally want to sell my soul to the devil and join the CIA i think its extremely interesting and would like to know more about it beyond the standard join the army and go from there bit.

i want to know how the really hardcore spies get into it.

WhoIam
02-20-2007, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think we ought to have a thread about how one would go about getting recruited into the CIA.
i have always been fascinted by espionage, and while i would never personally want to sell my soul to the devil and join the CIA i think its extremely interesting and would like to know more about it beyond the standard join the army and go from there bit.

i want to know how the really hardcore spies get into it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to disappoint you here, but the CIA came to my mid-tier college and set up a job-fair thing. This is how they recruit people. Fortunately I was able to pick up a CIA post-it note pad that provided endless entertainment.

riverboatking
02-20-2007, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to disappoint you here, but the CIA came to my mid-tier college and set up a job-fair thing. This is how they recruit people. Fortunately I was able to pick up a CIA post-it note pad that provided endless entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that is lame.
i always imagined something way more sinister was involved in becoming a top secret super spy.
they certainly never came to my college, although thats prolly cuz i wen't to the ultimate bastion of left-wing bleeding heart liberals.

lapoker17
02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
i'm pretty sure those college trips are looking for pencil pushers, translators etc. most real spooks get recruited after being some kind of military badass. i know two guys - one a much older cousin and one a friend of my dad's who were in the company and they've told some of the bet stories i've ever heard. (both were in special forces prior to their recruitment). my cousin was in the us embassy in iran during that whole ordeal and to hear him tell it is nuts.

imitation
02-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Add me to the list thanks I'd like to contribute more.

Dids
02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
A few suggestions:

I think that there could be more agressive moderation when it comes to short, low-content posts.

As mentioned in another thread, I think it would be best to avoid threads/posts that will bring about lists without discussion.

I'm pretty happy with this way this forum is going, although as of late I think there's been less going on in terms of really interesting topics.

traz
02-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I enjoy short, low-content posts as long as they are good. I'm not sure I can quantify exactly what makes some good and some not...but their is a difference.

I don't want this forum to turn into a long-winded bore fest, much like I view the lounge. Short posts have their place, bad posts do not

traz
02-20-2007, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with this way this forum is going, although as of late I think there's been less going on in terms of really interesting topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, irt this, they need to usher in the new breed of topic-starters asap to get things going again

sledghammer
02-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Here's a link to a very interesting article. I'd post it somewhere else, but it might be interesting for this forum, and this thread probably gets more views than LOL.

Basically it's about highly intelligent slacker kids, which dominate this forum, and the major trend in parenting over the last 30 years that has seen them multiply. I saw so much of myself in this article it was scary, and I'm sure many others here will agree.

http://nymag.com/news/features/27840/index.html

http://extempore.livejournal.com/

cow_phunk
02-20-2007, 02:28 PM
how about a best of series per city, maybe weekly, kind of like the san fran thread now? attractions, bars, restaurants, etc

El Diablo
02-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Dibs,

Thanks for your comments. We're trying to keep a good balance between keeping this a fun place where it's not an ordeal to post while keeping it a place full of interesting discussion and content.

I'm currently leaning towards a policy of deleting all really low-content posts near the start of a thread. Once a thread gets going and people are contributing good content, then a few funny one-liners is no big deal.

I delete "QFT" "I agree" and similar type posts whenever I see them. All they do is clutter up a thread.

Not sure if Ryan has added the new chunk of posters yet, but as soon as he does I imagine it'll open things up a bit. But keep in mind that the intent is not to build this up into a high traffic forum where there's always interesting new stuff to talk about. I figure most people who visit here will have a small handful of threads they're interested in keeping up with and maybe a couple of new ones they find interesting every day. That's the tradeoff that comes from not having the firehose of new threads in OOT, where you're bound to find something that interests you if you keep up with all the new threads constantly being started.

cow_phunk
02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
any interest in the weekly series on cities? i can start the next. there's a few folks here that'll vouch for my upstanding nature.

gdsdiscgolfer
02-21-2007, 04:50 PM
This might be something of a dead horse, but I'd love to see a thread about "clenching your moral conscience" or some such thing. I have the poker player's dilemma of wanting to do good while essentially being a leech. I'd like to do more than just give money I make to organizations.

What are some ways to start making a difference in the world? Organizations to volunteer for, places to submit essays to, etc. Also, any recommended reading.

I have this feeling like I want to make a difference but feel so insignificant. It would be interesting to hear people as smart as those here (and for whom I have great respect) talk about this sort of thing.

El Diablo
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
All,

http://www.rfshq.com/forum/games/virus2.swf

Curse this game. 25 is my best so far.

riverboatking
02-21-2007, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure those college trips are looking for pencil pushers, translators etc. most real spooks get recruited after being some kind of military badass. i know two guys - one a much older cousin and one a friend of my dad's who were in the company and they've told some of the bet stories i've ever heard. (both were in special forces prior to their recruitment). my cousin was in the us embassy in iran during that whole ordeal and to hear him tell it is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya those are the stories that absolutely fascinate me.
any good book recomendations on the subject would be appreciated.

Enon
02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I want to do a thread on open relationships.

Shilly
02-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Could we do a thread about traveling Europe (particularly for students or those on a budget)? Information about cheap flights, hostels, favorite destinations, general tips, etc.?

7ontheline
02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All,

http://www.rfshq.com/forum/games/virus2.swf

Curse this game. 25 is my best so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you El D. 24 is the best number for me, although I crapped out on the 26 move level.

El Diablo
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
7: See LoL for thread on that. 22 for me now.

Shilly: Check Metreon's europe thread.

fishfather
02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
I'd like to express my interest in a best of directors list, where folks choose certain things that a director does particularly well.

A few ideas:

Almodovar for his sense of humor and irreverence.

Lynch for his imagination.

Solondz for making a pedophile the most sympathetic character in a movie.

Satyajit Ray for his ability to make the mundane compelling.

Robert Rodriguez for his independence, versatility, and frequent casting of Salma Hayek.

Thanks for considering this.

NoahSD
02-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Masked Internet Persona,

I'm not qualified to start one or really even participate in one, but I'd love to read an architecture thread.

Dids
02-22-2007, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya those are the stories that absolutely fascinate me.
any good book recomendations on the subject would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girl who lived across the street from me as a kid just got made an FBI agent a while ago. It's pretty odd. She was a very quiet, weird bookish kid. Did grad school in public health. Not badass at all, but now in theory is obligated to carry a gun everywhere, serve as a default air marshall on any plane she's on, and works corruption and FEMA fraud in NO.

tomdemaine
02-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Perhaps this
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9282773&an=0&page=0&gone w=1#UNREAD)

would play better in this forum? Not sure.

El Diablo
02-22-2007, 11:12 PM
All,

Users listed at the start of this thread + a few others should now all have thread starting access. Complete list in sticky.

Clayton
02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Random Comment:

I don't understand why a company like Peapod, and other simlar companies, have not branched to all parts of the United States.

That's all.

kleinstadt1
02-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Next city for "Fun/Favorite things to do while there" should be Chicago.

This city can be great fun, just visit in the summer.

El Diablo
02-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Clayton,

See Webvan. Tough business to scale profitably without a grocery store partner. In areas where it is profitable, the grocery store will often choose to just do it themselves.

lapoker17
02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
the book eboys has a lot of good webvan info.

.Alex.
02-23-2007, 06:06 AM
I saw in the cooking thread that the official acronym of this forum has been given to EDF. Before it's too late (which it might already be), I'd like to propose the FED ("forum of El D" I guess) instead. Not only does it sound better, but the professional and business comparisons to the Federal Reserve seem to fit well.

El Diablo
02-23-2007, 06:20 AM
Alex,

Hmmm, worthy of consideration!

registrar
02-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I have a few.

"Is organised religion a social evil that should not be encouraged/should be actively discouraged?" This has lead to specatular rows and I'd rather discuss this anonymously online than over dashed brandy glasses at dinner parties.

"Great journeys"

"Is (some sense of) morality inherent?"

"Should we aim for a United States of the World". This in relation to the invasion of Iraq and other US policies which have a global impact and yet which only, what is it, 25m are responsible for voting for. I'd rather be ruled by America than China or Russia but, in any event, ideally I would like to have some say in who rules me.

On a more lightehearted note, "Comedy which does not date"

Elevens
02-24-2007, 01:08 AM
How about a thread on alternative medicine? Like chiropracters, acupuncture, aromatherapy, etc.?

nath
02-24-2007, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I haven't had a good idea for a thread yet, that's probably part of it.

I've been looking online for a copy of the short film I was in two years ago. I wanted to post it and get some feedback on it, as well as get other posters to share similar creative endeavors they've undertook that people don't really know about on the forum, or that would initially seem incongruous with their personalities here. How's that for a thread idea?

edfurlong
02-24-2007, 05:43 AM
I'd be interested in a brain pill thread. I would assume 2+2 folks are popping more anti-depressant/suicide/rape/bestiality pills than the rest of the population. It would obviously have to be a little more moderated than most threads though.

I'm sure someone that is Mr Diablo approved is interested in the subject. Sorry if there is already a thread.

Kost
02-24-2007, 08:22 AM
A thread for 2+2 artists (musicans, filmmakers, comedians, writers, painters, photographers, etc) can post links to their work would be interesting.

Kost
02-24-2007, 07:55 PM
A thread where everyone tells their "pokerstory" would also be interesting. How they got introduced to the game, what limit/game they started playing, greatest moments, when they decided to start playing full time (for those who do that), when they decided to quit playing full time /images/graemlins/smile.gif, what the extra income (for some very much) has done for them (investments, business, helping others, etc). And how they live their life now. What limit/game they play, how many hours they play, etc. Also what their future plans are.

I would gladly share mine.

Potvaliant
02-25-2007, 02:54 AM
There was an interesting article (http://www.slate.com/id/2159145/fr/flyout) on slate recently positing that women perform worse under pressure than men. It might make for an interesting discussion, especially since it would seem to relate to poker as well.

Actually this column, called Everyday Economics, has another article (http://www.slate.com/id/2159145/fr/flyout) about a woman who was taken off of life support because she couldn't pay her medical bills. Of course a thread made on that topic would probably be more about politics than anything else ...

Badger
02-25-2007, 04:13 AM
So the Aid to Africa thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9256257&an=0&page=0#Post 9256257) got me thinking about posting more about the non profit, of which I recently became president. It's a local chapter of Engineers Without Borders and is struggling to get going. I thought I could make a good thread about the exchange of info/ideas for non profit work, as well as focusing on my progress of getting the organization started. It would also include some good trip reports from upcoming projects in Panama and El Salvador. Is this the kind of thing the El Diablo General Discussion Forum might be interested in?

Goldstone
02-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I'd like to see a thread on people's music set-ups. Basically where to download from & why, best music players, how to handle multi-room, best way to store / back-up, advice on categorising / creating playlists etc.

shemp
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I doubt there's a thread in it, but: Trials and tribulations of urban composting/vermicomposting.

LuckOfTheDraw
02-27-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not gonna do a review cuz El D started the Whisky thread off with it, but I just picked up a bottle of The Belvanie 12yr Doublewood from Costco for $32 pre tax. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Moral, check your local Costco to see what type of scotch they got on sale. They also had Macallan 12 yr for like $36 I think. Almost got that but will wait for next time.

sledghammer
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Ask somebody about getting a pilot's license/owning a personal aircraft.

Photography contest.

Cinematography contest, produce your best 1 minute video, with lots of different categories.

FeliciaLee
03-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I was thinking about posting a topic on baldness, and why people are so attached to their hair (male and female, but I'm obviously coming from a female perspective).

I can't find anything similar. Any interest?

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

registrar
03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Unless you're about to tell me that bald men are sexy, or baldness is caused by excess testosterone, I'm not interested, OK?

El Diablo
03-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Felicia,

"I can't find anything similar. Any interest?"

Sure. As a subpart of that, perhaps we could address why when a long hair is attached to a woman's head, it is like the most beautiful thing, but when that same hair is on a sheet or in the bathroom or wherever, it is gross and disgusting. Also why hair is so gross when on other parts of the body.

FeliciaLee
03-04-2007, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Felicia,

"I can't find anything similar. Any interest?"

Sure. As a subpart of that, perhaps we could address why when a long hair is attached to a woman's head, it is like the most beautiful thing, but when that same hair is on a sheet or in the bathroom or wherever, it is gross and disgusting. Also why hair is so gross when on other parts of the body.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't have permission to post. Plus there didn't seem to be much interest. So I guess I'll skip this one.

I became interested, having been bald myself, and looking at women who are basically bald, but keep those scraggily little comb-overs anyway, usually growing them out really long, to try to hide a bald head. It seems to only make the baldness stand out more, not hide it, and I wonder why so many otherwise attractive women would choose this route.

El Diablo
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Felicia,

"Well, I don't have permission to post."

You do!

FeliciaLee
03-04-2007, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Felicia,

"Well, I don't have permission to post."

You do!

[/ QUOTE ]
What am I missing? I don't see my name on the list.

El Diablo
03-04-2007, 05:42 PM
F,

Master List (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8954701&an=0&page=0#Post 8954701)

FeliciaLee
03-04-2007, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
F,

Master List (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8954701&an=0&page=0#Post 8954701)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for adding me. But do you really think this is a worthy topic? I mean, it seems like it's almost taboo among 2+2 men, except when they want to whine about hairloss, lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

El Diablo
03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
FL,

I think there are a ton of different directions the thread could go in.

Event Duality
03-04-2007, 08:32 PM
I think a "medical conditions" thread could be pretty good, and not only because I have Crohn's Disease myself. I think we could get some good discussion going about the different conditions people have, how it affects them in their day-to-day life, and how they deal with the condition (special diets, medicines, etc.).

Of course, a topic like that may not be as beneficial as I believe it could be; it all depends on how many people have a condition, and how willing people are to actually discuss that condition with relative strangers.

JaredL
03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Felicia,

As a 27 year old who's had a receding hair line and thinning top since about 19 (which has gotten a lot worse the last couple years) I would be quite interested in your thread. I think we share a similar point of view. When I was 19 or 20 I went to a dermatologist for acne issues I still had and she reccomended that I take Propecia and even gave me a prescription. I decided it wasn't close to worth it and never got it filled.

I think you are underestimating interest, especially from men aged 20-50 which is most everyone here.

Jared

econophile
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
wanted to float this idea before pulling the thread trigger

the idea is similar to jared's thread on dressing more professionally, but i think it will be called "acting more professionally"

the purpose is to explain to rude and slovenly students like myself the kind of behavior expected in a professional workplace. of course some things are obvious, like dress. other things are more subtle, like the way you answer the phone, or being very careful what you say in company emails. anyway, i think a thread like this could be vry helpful to 2p2ers who are moving from academia or other laidback lifestyles into a more buttoned down environment.

27offsuit
03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I was watching a chef competition of some sort last night and the following happened:

They cut over to a chef in his whites and he had a passing resemblance to Dids. Now I'm neither a hater nor a supporter of Dids, but for some reason at that second it hit me like a ton of bricks...

Why the hell is Dids not a chef?

A: You love food and post most every meal you prepare on your blog.
B: You seem to have culinary creativity and ability.
C: You live in one of the culinary capitals of the US.
D: Your current job seems boring and dead-ended.

Anyway, just a thought.

pete fabrizio
03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
too many alcohol threads.

Event Duality
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...explain to rude and slovenly students like myself the kind of behavior expected in a professional workplace. of course some things are obvious, like dress.

[/ QUOTE ]

These days, I get confused by the term "business-casual." What, exactly, does that include?

econophile
03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These days, I get confused by the term "business-casual." What, exactly, does that include?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a little nebulous, but just check what other people at the company are wearing when you interview with them. then dress towards the more formal end of the range to start out.

El Diablo
03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
econ: Sounds great.

ED: Slacks + button down shirt is the standard for business casual.

pete: Maybe. I'll lock a couple of the older ones if they keep getting bumped.

Dids
03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was watching a chef competition of some sort last night and the following happened:

They cut over to a chef in his whites and he had a passing resemblance to Dids. Now I'm neither a hater nor a supporter of Dids, but for some reason at that second it hit me like a ton of bricks...

Anyway, just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, I've thought about this a lot. I toy with going to culinary school about every two weeks.

The problems:

1- Cooking for a living offers far less stability and pay than even my somewhat lame job does. I'm not sure I'm willing, at 30, to give up what I've got and go back to minimum wage.

2- I'm not sure that just because I like cooking, I will like cooking for a living. I've never been a career person. A job is what keeps me fed and clothed so I can do what I like. That said, this is changing slightly.

3- I don't have the spare 20k+ around to pay for the CIA, and if I was to do this, that's where I'd need/want to end up.

JaredL
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
A thread I would like to read, and in which I would participate mainly with questions, would be about showing dogs. I believe Patrick del Poker has experience. Basically, I think it's a subculture as Evan mentions, and suspect that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that people don't know about.

I would start it myself but I don't know much about it and these things go much better with an informative OP instead of one asking a bunch of questions.

wet work
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm almost finished a book called You Can't Win by Jack Black. I think it fell out of print and was re-issued with a foreword by William S. Burroughs, upon whom Black was a huge influence. Burroughs' Junky reads a lot like this book with it's colorful characters and connection to the seedy underworld of America.

Black was basically an old school rounder. He was a traveling 'bum', that was a cat burglar, opium addict and gambler. A part of a subculture called the yeggs or Johnson's. It's a fun and interesting, sometimes grim, read.

Mainly I thought a thread about the book would for one turn people onto a cool book that I think people here might find interesting and hopefully a larger discussion about people who lived outside the law during those times. Possibly about some of the earlier professional gamblers and con men, etc. I know there have to be other books like this out there and maybe others here could offer up some recommendations.

keikiwai
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with a foreword by William S. Burroughs, upon whom Black was a huge influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean, "with a foreword by William S. Burroughs, who was a huge influence upon Black"?, since i find it difficult to believe that Burroughs even knew about JB... (i mean Burroughs died in 1997, and High Fidelity came out in 2000)....

i do find it interesting that the same chap who directed high fidelity was the one who directed the queen.... i guess, hi fi is based upon an english novel.....

wet work
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean, "with a foreword by William S. Burroush, who was a huge influence upon Black"?, since i find it difficult to believe that Burroughs even knew about JB... (i mean Burroughs died in 1997, and High Fidelity came out in 2000)....

i do find it interesting that the same chap who directed high fidelity was the one who directed the queen.... i guess, hi fi is based upon an english novel.....

[/ QUOTE ]

A different Jack Black entirely, book came out in 1926.

keikiwai
03-05-2007, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean, "with a foreword by William S. Burroush, who was a huge influence upon Black"?, since i find it difficult to believe that Burroughs even knew about JB... (i mean Burroughs died in 1997, and High Fidelity came out in 2000)....

[/ QUOTE ]

A different Jack Black Entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl - well that explains it..... i had a feeling i was misunderstanding something.... so who is this other Jack Black..... i assume he didn't have a School of Rock.....

i mean i could imagine Jack Black, the actor, being a bum before he hit the big times

these are some other JBs that wikip lists:

[ QUOTE ]

* Jack Black (author), a 19th Century author and hobo.
* Jack Black (drummer), who played drums for 70's UK punk band The Boys.
* Jack Black (rat catcher), a famous Victorian rat catcher and mole destroyer.
* Jack Black (Viz), a morally dubious, right wing boy detective featured in the adult comic Viz
* Jack Black (wrestler), a World Wrestling Federation contestant
* A slang for Black Label bottles of Jack Daniel's.

[/ QUOTE ]

wet work
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A different Jack Black Entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

so who is this other Jack Black..... i assume he didn't have a School of Rock.....

[/ QUOTE ]

No. More like a few pebbles of opium and his eyes on the bankroll of local gamblers and figuring out a way to separate them from it be it by hook or by crook.

27offsuit
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, I've thought about this a lot. I toy with going to culinary school about every two weeks.

The problems:

1- Cooking for a living offers far less stability and pay than even my somewhat lame job does. I'm not sure I'm willing, at 30, to give up what I've got and go back to minimum wage.

2- I'm not sure that just because I like cooking, I will like cooking for a living. I've never been a career person. A job is what keeps me fed and clothed so I can do what I like. That said, this is changing slightly.

3- I don't have the spare 20k+ around to pay for the CIA, and if I was to do this, that's where I'd need/want to end up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever thought about the unconventional route?

Side work/job at home involving food + internets = profit and freedom

The once and future king
03-06-2007, 11:20 AM
This would seem like the place for 2+2 Dragons Den.

Dragons Den is a program on BBC2. There are 6 dragons, ie, self made multi-millionaires and people come in and pitch their business ideas to them. The dragons then critique, slate and put down the pitch or sometimes they offer money in return for equity in the business.

The pitches range from people who only have an idea on paper to businesses that have 200k+ turn over but need some cash+dragons involvement to take things to the next stage.

Given the spare cash floating around the 2+2 orbit, why not have a thread where posters pitch their business, state the amount they want and how much equity they will surrender for it.

We can then critique there pitches and if at any point cash does change hands then the chances of an interesting train wreck are increased exponentially.

Dids
03-06-2007, 12:31 PM
You had me at Dragons but lost me when their millions weren't from killing dwarves and taking their hoardes.

"Have you ever thought about the unconventional route?

Side work/job at home involving food + internets = profit and freedom"

Like what, somehow getting paid for my blog?

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to do something like that. I'm still a pretty amature cook and make a lot of noobish mistakes. My stuff looks good because 1- I'm doing stuff I know I can hack and is easy 2- I've got a very skilled friend helping me learn how to make the most of my camera.

I like that cooking right now is just a hobby, I don't know if I need or want it to be something I do for a profit.

27offsuit
03-06-2007, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You had me at Dragons but lost me when their millions weren't from killing dwarves and taking their hoardes.

"Have you ever thought about the unconventional route?

Side work/job at home involving food + internets = profit and freedom"

Like what, somehow getting paid for my blog?

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to do something like that. I'm still a pretty amature cook and make a lot of noobish mistakes. My stuff looks good because 1- I'm doing stuff I know I can hack and is easy 2- I've got a very skilled friend helping me learn how to make the most of my camera.

I like that cooking right now is just a hobby, I don't know if I need or want it to be something I do for a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking rubs, sauces, stuff you can make and bottle and ship at/from home.

Dids' xxxxx has a good ring to it.

PITTM
03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
one vote for hot sticky dids' sauce.

FeliciaLee
03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I got this idea based on Alobar's excellent idea of living Sunday like it was the last day of his life (thanks).

Recently, a test came to light which will help breast cancer patients find out what their risk is for the cancer recurring. Supposedly, it is very reliable.

Breast Cancer Recurrence (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Breast_Cancer_Recurrence_Test_Gets_FDA_No d.asp)

It is too late for me to find out my risk. The tumor was sliced, diced and thrown out in biohazard almost two years ago.

But would I have chosen the crystal ball, or would I have not wanted to know?

I think this would be a great topic (even if only for me, lol).

cow_phunk
03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
thread idea. in viewing the old albums everyone must own, i thought about must have albums by genre once a week, like the city threads. punk, psych, folk, prog rock, r&b/soul, hip hop.

Reef
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Seattle: Your favorite things to do or places to go

WhoIam
03-07-2007, 05:21 PM
I think a Led Zeppelin thread would be neat. Many people here (myself included) have never known a world without Led Zeppelin and often think of them as the rock establishment. What they don't realize is that they were very experimental and underground when they came out. Sure, they sold plenty of albums through word-of-mouth and hype, but until Stairway to Heaven came out, they were never heard on the radio.

Clayton
03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
was thinking abt making thread abt JOOST from makers of [censored] however only internet option currently is Wii.

anyways after reading a short article about it in a magazine (either us news, newsweek or time) i hold the opinion that JOOST could be the biggest thing tech-wise for the first 25 years of this century. comments El D?

BillytheKidd
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I think an interesting topic of discussion would be the ethics involved in poker coaching. We all saw brief moments of how Johnny coached Gold in the WSOP. I was curious as to what he said throughout the tournament, advice he gave etc.

This got me thinking about online coaching, which led to lots of ethical questions. For example, Johnny couldnt coach during the actual play of the hand, but appeared to be available for post hand discussion and at least validation of decisions/style of play appropriate for the situation. However, online this restriction is not really there. Where is the ethical line between coaching and two players per hand? This line seems like it could easily be blurred. I'll use ElD in my example since he is flame retardent. For example:

I hire ElD as a coach, we work out a small flat fee (cuz I'm smalltime fish) plus percentage of my Sunday Million (as adjustment for ElD agreeing to small fee). Things are going good, he is coaching well, I am learning/applying well. As the Sunday Million goes on, I find myself pretty deep in the tourney and way over my head. ElD, is coaching his butt off, to keep me from throwing away this great opportunity at the final table, but it is all between hands; "Stay away from seat 1, rob seat 2, call the shorty with almost any two etc". I raise from the BTN, Strassa puts on the squeeze play from the BB, I vomit and ElD ??? What can he say/not say. Obviously, if I tell him my cards that would be unethical. Has the line already been crossed by giving info about seat 1, seat 2 etc.?

Just something I was wondering about as I conteplated my first shot at the million and what would I do if I found myself deep. My first thought was, PM Strassa and give him 10% to finish for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

WhoIam
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
The poker coach ethics topic is interesting. Another scenario would be if El D was just a friend of yours who was at your house and watching over your shoulder.

2/325Falcon
03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Can we get some current events threads in here?

turnipmonster
03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
what does everyone think about a thread that recommends a really great book for a given topic? example:

philosophy - bertrand russell's a history of western philosophy <accompanied by why this is a great overview of western philosophy>.

there are a lot of subjects that I would be interested in reading a book about, but not much more than that. for example economics, chess, civil war, etc.

danzasmack
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
i would say this forum is the only place i can ask this - why do 22 yr old manboys have existential dilemmas? i'm guessing most of you had them/have them

edit: clearly this is not a low blow fwiw, though some mocking from your end targeting me would be standard

El Diablo
03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
danza: that has been going on forever, teen/young adult angst/questioning life/etc. If someone wants to start a thread, sure.

turnip: I think that "books (or other resources) for learnign about xxx" is a great thread idea for a number of topics

2: all for current events threads

who/Billy: poker ethics seems like a decent topic. if nobody starts it soon, i'll do it.

Clayton: I think JOOST is unlikely to be a big deal.

who: Zepp can surely merit a thread. seems like you need to be added to the thread starting list next time we update.

reef: tell entity or dibs or whoever to get seattle started.

cow: essential albums by genre, solid.

felicia: i agree, start it!

pittm: one vote against

fking: I think that would work here, but might be better to try and organize something like that in either the moneymaking or finance forums. the discussion part is fine. the solicitation part of your idea in a lot of cases may face securities law issues. would also prob have to run something like this by the admins before getting it going. i'll talk to the other mods/admins about getting at least some degree of this going.

wet: a couple of book threads already, toss that info in one of tehm, I think it's really fascinating stuff.

Mermade
03-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Anyone interested in gardens/landscaping? I just planted my patio container garden: herbs, tomatoes, flowers, other veggies/fruit and overseeded my lawn.(My lawn and I are in constant struggle--would love to talk to others about it.)

I think this kind of thread would be of interest to those who are doing small and large projects in their yards and also to those apartment dwellers who are thinking about doing some balcony gardening. FeliciaLee had a thread like this in the Lounge last spring/summer that was enjoyable. Maybe it's a bit early since a good part of the country is still under snow, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

2P2 Freestyler
03-11-2007, 04:43 PM
YO,
YO,
ONE TWO ONE TWO.

ALWAYS ON POINT LIKE A LASER- YO, I HOPE I DON'T BORE 'EM,
WHEN I MAKE THAT POST IN DIABLO'S FORUM,
TIME TO PERFORM LIKE BARNUM AND BAILEY,
MY POSTS GET ATTENTION LIKE I'M SOME GIRL FROM AUSTRALI-
UH, UH, I LIKE CABERNET, SO SHOULD I GET A SPORT COAT OR A VEST?
A REPLY STRAIGHT FROM DIABLO WOULD BE BEST.

El Diablo
03-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Freestyler,

I'm disappointed you didn't say "CHECK IT ONE TWO."

Emperor
03-12-2007, 04:01 AM
Just wanted to say how impressed I am at how well this forum is going. Topics are interesting, and if something gets old, it gets locked. Well Done everyone.

ata
03-14-2007, 02:20 AM
I'd like to start a topic in your discussion group about the opportunity costs of playing and working on your poker game vs. other entrepreneurial activities. I have always wanted to start my own business in some form, but for the past year I've found that all my free time is taken up by poker. I've made it to med-stakes poker (400NL) and am making a decent profit (more than my day job) and improving steadily, but it takes almost all my free time that I could spend working on a start-up idea or business opportunity. I think it'd be a good topic to discuss, as I just read woodguy's post and it makes me ponder whether all my time spent on poker could be better spent on a business opportunity that in the long term could generate more returns and a better lifestyle.

Thoughts?

steel108
03-14-2007, 02:56 AM
I would like to see a topic entitled "What would you do differently."

I want to hear from older forum members who are succesful in their careers (outside of poker). Did they sacrafice their family life in order to climb the corporate ladder? Would they consider themselves happy right now? etc........ To be honest, I started thinking about this after watching "Click." It is very easy to see how someone can justify putting insane hours at work under the guise of providing for their family. As someone who is getting their MBA, I think about this issue alot and would like to hear from people who have actually been through the experience.

knifeandfork
03-14-2007, 08:24 AM
would like to hear from you on a thread about personal lubricants, and perhaps we could start one or include in the same about favorite toys.

wiggs73
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I'd love to see a thread for travel ideas for Costa Rica, i.e. must-see attractions, restaurants, night life, etc. I realize this is an entire country we're talking about, but its about the size of West Virgina so I figure a single thread might be sufficient.

This is obviously a very self-serving thread unless others happen to be travelling there soon, so no offense taken if it doesn't get started of course.

KJS
03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This would seem like the place for 2+2 Dragons Den.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loved that show. Would love the thread.

Did you see the one where the guy pitched Pub Poker League? I was very surprised they invested.

KJS

JohnAndersen
03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
How about an absinthe thread? I am here in europe and there are a lot of misconceptions about the drink and its effects, and admittedly I am not as keen on it as I would like to be although I have done some homework on it. I think it would be interesting to hear personally experiences as well as absinthe reviews

teddyFBI
03-15-2007, 04:29 PM
El D told me to post this request in this thread: I'd like thread-starting privileges...I wasn't in the original batch of "invitees", but I'd like to think that my contributions to 2p2 have been for the most part commensurate with my maturity and introspection. Hopefully I'll be added in the next "batch."

SpecT
03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
hey, i want to start a thread for personal advice (sorry bout sendin u the pm elD, i forgot to read the posting guidelines). i already posted this in the ssnl cheese thread, and while it did get afew responses, everyone just started arguing and it got off topic

so, im 18, and half way through my uni degree. lately though ive become really bored with uni and life in general and am finding it increasily difficult to motivate myself. i was thinking of taking a year or 2 off and moving to a another country where i dont know anyone and could just start a fresh. id b using poker as my main source of income, as i have been for the past 4 months or so, and id just be looking to gain as much experience as i can. i havent really done much in this world, so im looking to through myself into the deep end here.

anywayz i was just wonderin if u guys though this would be a good idea for a thread to start, so i could get some advice on if its a really good idea, or its the stupidest thing ever.

p.s i live in perth, australia and was thinking of living sumwhere like monte carlo...but i dont really have a clue yet.

LuckOfTheDraw
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
El D,

What do you think about locking this random comment thread and creating a new one every week or so? I don't really like threads when they get really huge and hopefully it will keep things fresher.

El Diablo
03-17-2007, 06:14 PM
LotD,

I agree. I generally try to comment/respond to posts these threads before starting a new one, have been really busy this week, though. I'll go through this one then get a new one started.

wpr101
03-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I got some thread ideas:

1) Post your top 5 favorite songs of all time. For selfish reasons of course... I need some new music.

2) Boxing versus Mixed Martial Arts. Which one do you prefer to watch and why? It seems to me that older people prefer boxing but the younger generations like MMA more.

3) Thoughts on Apple computer and how they have reinvented themselves over the past 5 years or so. Are they around to stay for awhile? Can they ever out do Microsoft or will they always be a small niche market? Can Google out do Microsoft?

4) Your favorite HBO series and an explanation. Some I like are The Sopranos, The Wire, Entourage, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Rome. What would the next great HBO series be about if you had a choice?

phiphika1453
03-22-2007, 12:58 AM
A radio program I regularly listen to had a bit on life's lessons and how they are learned. I thought this forum would have some interesting stories on what lessons they have learned in life AND how those lessons were learned; ie. experience or taught from a mentor.

I truly think the stories behind the lessons are more intruiging than the lessons themselves.

hanster
03-22-2007, 03:39 AM
El d,
Can someone start a thread/discussion about capital punishment? I just finished "In Cold Blood" (The book not the movie). I felt edf would be the best place to discuss this on 2p2 (over bbv and oot. do you see why?)

MagicNinja
03-22-2007, 06:42 AM
I would like a weekly song analysis thread; or piece, if that is decided by the jury. I listen to a HUGE amount of music, from all genres, but I was thinking the other day that people my age in the past that listened to a huge amount of music probably only owned like 10-15 records and listened to them again and again; so they would really get to know the songs intimately.

I wouldn't be able to sing all the lyrics to basically any song except the most trivial easy poppish songs; many songs that I love, I don't fully understand lyrically (EG there are lots of metaphors etc being used to express certain thoughts and I just know what the song is about because of its title or whatever), etc. For example, I like the Mars Volta a lot. I don't know what a single song is about by them.

I guess I'd like to take an English Lit kind of approach in the thread, where the band is introduced, the lyrics pasted, relevent thoughts about the time the music was written in, etc. I've found I like a lot of music a lot more once I start understanding it more (EG I liked the chilli peppers a lot more after reading scar tissue). I'd even like to talk about more technical aspects of the music (maybe by having a link to the sheet music or tabs and talking about chord progressions, musical effects, pedals used etc).

Most the EDF forum seem to be big music junkies, so I think this would be a good place to talk about music (but more specifically, individual songs or pieces).

schundler
03-22-2007, 07:22 AM
I'd like a thread about learning how to dine in upscale restaurants for someone who is young and has little experience doing so. There are threads about dining, but I'm interested in something of an upscale dining for newbies thread, with advice from some of the older members on the forum.

I have a bunch of questions.

KRANTZ
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
improv comedy.

i'm taking a class with the upright citizen's brigade in NYC right now, and it's pretty damn awesome. so a thread about what it is, how to learn it, good groups, best improv comics/movie stars, best shows, and so on.

it's like freestyle rapping for white people.

elwoodblues
03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Alright ---

Here's my idea. We've done the whole "what's for dinner thing" (I'm glad we only do "before pictures" by the way.) I had the following idea. Each week 1 person will post a recipe that (meeting certain criteria.) People will then take the week to test/improve/comment on the recipe. After a decent time, we should have a pretty good cook book going.

Criteria for recipes:
Common/relatively common ingredients
No "special" tools required
Scalable (good for individuals as well as families)
Delicious

Thoughts?

El Diablo
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
All,

A bunch of great ideas here, thanks!

I'll get a couple started and also have Ryan add a bunch of you to the thread starter list. Probably do this this weekend.

mntbikr15
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I recently went on vacation for 10 days in Alaska. Activities included Dog Mushing, Snowmobiling, and an engagement.

Was thinking of doing a trip report/pics.

Any interest here, or OOT?

Melchiades
03-26-2007, 08:07 PM
I want thread starting priviliges. El D told me to post here.

Want to start a thread where people can share ideas of how to meet people (not a date thread), and make new friends when you move to a new city. Basicly just moved to London and am at the moment surrounded by 10 000 000 people I don't know, and would like that to change. And as a fulltime poker player I need to take a more active approach than I have used to before whenever I have moved, since I've been a student or had a regular job then.

gusmahler
03-26-2007, 08:23 PM
What's up with politics threads and sports threads here? Don't we have separate forums for those topics?

El Diablo
03-26-2007, 09:23 PM
gus,

What's up w/ BBV4L, don't we have OOT?

Any topic is fair game in this forum. Just a place for people to come and participate in interesting discussion on any topic.

Im_Your_ATM
03-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Hugging etiquette - this is one of those seemingly simple things that is actually quite complex, I've been discussing it with some girls lately and I've gotten a new viewpoint.

Im_Your_ATM
03-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Backpacking - how much to bring, which shoes to wear, what bags to use, other interesting incites from people who are experienced in it because I'm not.

Im_Your_ATM
03-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Movies you think have unfairly received a bad rap or in your eyes surprisingly bombed. There are a lot of movies that failed horribly in the box office but have become cult favorites which would apply. Movies that did poorly and didn't get a cult following but you think are still pretty good. They don't have to be great movies in all respects but for whatever reason you really like them. Another option is to include movies that are critically panned but you enjoy regardless. There are a lot of other ways this thread could go.

Melchiades
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Want to start a thread where people can share ideas of how to meet people (not a date thread), and make new friends when you move to a new city. Basicly just moved to London and am at the moment surrounded by 10 000 000 people I don't know, and would like that to change. And as a fulltime poker player I need to take a more active approach than I have used to before whenever I have moved, since I've been a student or had a regular job then.

[/ QUOTE ]
So how about it El D, can I start a thread about this?

gusmahler
03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gus,

What's up w/ BBV4L, don't we have OOT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in those forums, if you post about sports, it gets moved to Sporting Events.

El Diablo
03-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Melch: Wow, relax, yeah I dig the idea.

gus: OK LET ME BE CLEARER FOR YOU. YOU CAN POST THE SAME CRAP IN BBV4L AND OOT. YOU CAN POST THE SAME CRAP IN HERE AND IN SPORTS. GOT IT?

All: I (and the other mods - Yeti and daryn for example are in Monte Carlo about to win big bucks right now) have been super swamped and haven't had time to process through this thread and get Ryan a new list of thread starters yet. Sorry for the delay, will get on it shortly.

jasonHoldEm
03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
El D,

I picked up some good new blogs from the blog thread. I'd really like to see a podcast thread as well (would like to get some new material to listen to at work).

jHE

Kost
03-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Computer Games thread: Computer games that you actually learn something from. Forexample history, building a business, economics, language, picking up girls, the stockmarket, tecnical stuff about things: cars, weapeons, sports, plains etc, etc)

jbrent33
03-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I need advice from the many fashionistas that peruse the EDF.

I will be attending a wedding in early June. It is very important to me, the bride might as well be my sister. The wedding itself is on the beach at sunset. The reception is at a very nice club. What is the proper attire?

I am a lock to nail a bridesmaid and showing up looking like an idiot would be a sure way of screwing it up.

Seersucker? Linen? Shoes? I have no [censored] clue. My traditional wedding attire is out the window.

john voight
03-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Thread Suggestion

How do you evaluate smartness, knowledge, wiseness.

I feel ppl believe certain things make you "smart" while others don't. My friend goes to Berkeley, and after 1 year, he thinks he is a genious.

I go to SJSU, (pretty [censored] school) and feel that I am "wiser" than him. I have more collective knowledge over many different topics.

He can do math, memorize, and spell. I can't. Yet I feel I am not dumber than him. I guess we are both good at different things, however the things I am good at are not as accepted by the public.

inferno
03-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Does anybody know the writer: Haruki Murakami? I am not a big reader but I have read one book of him and am perplexed by his talent of writing and immetiatly ordered anouther book of him. I would love a threat about him to hear other people their thoughts.

brick
03-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I would like a discussion on which jobs are most enjoyable, and pay the most, for the amount of time/effort involved.

The thread should include some rules for example:
--jobs must pay 60k+
--job is attainable through a normal routes (don't have to know someone)
-- etc

if this thread has been done before then please point me to it. thanks all

Keyser.
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Thread Suggestion:

I'd be interested in a thread about country clubs. I only know a few people who "belong" to one (I hate that term), so I'd like to know if anyone here is a member and whether or not they feel the price is worth it for the golf/tennis stuff and for the social events.

lennytheduck
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thread Suggestion:

I'd be interested in a thread about country clubs. I only know a few people who "belong" to one (I hate that term), so I'd like to know if anyone here is a member and whether or not they feel the price is worth it for the golf/tennis stuff and for the social events.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to read this. Would be great for future reference.

gusmahler
03-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Thread suggestion:

The last post in this thread: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&fpart=2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=eldiablo&Number=9377625&p age=0&fpart=2)

suggested a new thread on gender bias in law firms (on possibly other professions) instead of appending to the end of that thread.

whitelime
03-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Get me on that list...I will sporadically post interesting things.

El Diablo
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
All,

Locking. Post new thread ideas in the currently active random discussion thread, thanks.