PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in God, Jesus, Christianity? What's your IQ?

Vincent
09-19-2005, 05:31 AM
I'm bored. I'm curious. Indulge me, please.

Edit: I realize this poll may be skewed by those who wish the other side to be viewed as unintelligent. They may be freaked out as being viewed as less intelligent or shall we say a bunch of morans (w/ an 'a').

09-19-2005, 05:42 AM
Any guesses for who voted Yes, <100? Classic.

quinn
09-19-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any guesses for who voted Yes, <100? Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you assume they were joking.

quinn
09-19-2005, 06:19 AM
This poll doesn't leave an option for me. I want to vote, but I have an IQ of 73 and there's no option for 73!

DoctorManhattan
09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
This may be the dumbest internet poll I've ever seen.

09-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I think the only thing this poll tells us is that Christians are marginally more honest than atheists.

I doubt if anyone in SMP has a 145+ IQ. (Hint: Internet tests are not an accurate measure of IQ)

hmkpoker
09-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Now now, let's not make fun of Spaminator

Vincent
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] All the content was in the title, and it peaked your interest.

bocablkr
09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Interesting fact - many scientific studies done on the relationship of intelligence vs. belief in God have shown that as the IQ level increases the percentage who believe in God decreases. This doesn't mean that some smart people don't believe in God or that some less intelligent ones can't be atheists. Below is an excerpt from one study.

Polling Scientists on Beliefs

According to a much-discussed survey reported in the journal Nature in 1997, 40 percent of biologists, physicists and mathematicians said they believed in God - and not just a nonspecific transcendental presence but, as the survey put it, a God to whom one may pray "in expectation of receiving an answer."

The survey, by Edward J. Larson of the University of Georgia, was intended to replicate one conducted in 1914, and the results were virtually unchanged. In both cases, participants were drawn from a directory of American scientists.

Others play down those results. They note that when Dr. Larson put part of the same survey to "leading scientists" - in this case, members of the National Academy of Sciences, perhaps the nation's most eminent scientific organization - fewer than 10 percent professed belief in a personal God or human immortality.

DoctorManhattan
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah the title cracked me up but how accurate could it possibly be? Most people don't know their own IQ.

Vincent
09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the title cracked me up but how accurate could it possibly be? Most people don't know their own IQ.

[/ QUOTE ] I think (or I hope) most people who see this poll are smart enough to know this poll doesn't accurately measure much of anything.

renodoc
09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
not true

Vincent
09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not true

[/ QUOTE ]
Great answer. I'll believe you, because you spoke last without backing up. Put up something, or shut up.

My understand is that an IQ of 145 is 3SD from 100. That's how I divided my polling (measurements of 15). An IQ of 145 exists between 1 in 407 & 1 in 741 depending on scale. This is from:
http://members.shaw.ca/delajara/IQtable.html

Maybe this speaks to the likelihood of as many people with such a high IQ in the polling.

TomBrooks
05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I clicked first poll by mistake and was unable to unclick.

TomBrooks
05-03-2006, 05:36 PM
You specify three objects in your subject. Which are you looking for an answer to?

And regarding Jesus, what are you asking about him? Did he exist? Is he god or a god? Is he more godlike than you or I? Did he heal people? Did he literally perform miracles like making bread out of thin air? Did his body literally rise from the dead?

New001
05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not true

[/ QUOTE ]
Great answer. I'll believe you, because you spoke last without backing up. Put up something, or shut up.

My understand is that an IQ of 145 is 3SD from 100. That's how I divided my polling (measurements of 15). An IQ of 145 exists between 1 in 407 & 1 in 741 depending on scale. This is from:
http://members.shaw.ca/delajara/IQtable.html

Maybe this speaks to the likelihood of as many people with such a high IQ in the polling.

[/ QUOTE ]
There certainly are some of us with an IQ that high. The results will be skewed towards the high end because of the nature of these forums. It really doesn't matter though.

Riddick
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
My IQ is somewhere in the 130s (130+ required for my schools "special" program).

I have unquestioning faith in the Bible, including the stuff that contradicts other stuff.

Trantor
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] All the content was in the title, and it peaked your interest.

[/ QUOTE ]
"piqued" ffs

CallMeIshmael
05-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I believe in some sort of God. But, not really like any one of the religions teach. Basically, I just think that there is probably something we arent able to see / doesnt exist in our physical realm, but I dont claim to have any knowledge of it, nor do I think it is even possible to have knowledge of it.

Jesus had a good message at heart... the whole treat others well, help out those in need, which somehow got totally butchered into "look down on the [censored] and the sinners", but I highly doubt that he (or anyone else) was actually God.

Im not sure what my IQ is. Ive taken 2 standardized tests. I scored in the top percentile on an intelligence test in grade school (they didnt rank any higher than that) and in the mid 1500s on the SAT.

Compared to the average person, Im pretty smart, but it seems there are quite a few regulars on here who could say the same thing

JimNashe
05-04-2006, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I doubt if anyone in SMP has a 145+ IQ. (Hint: Internet tests are not an accurate measure of IQ)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a member of Mensa, and I scored 156+ on the Raven's progressive matrice test.

But I have a small penis so James Woods still beats me.

zephed
05-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Yes
< 100

MidGe
05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
This is really a stupid thread.

Firstly, IQ rating varies with the test used. It is totally meaningless as the poll is posted.

Secondly, IQ tests measure the ability to do well on those tests. It may correlate with other things but that is not so eveident or certain.

No, I am not a christian, believer in god or whatever, but neither do I believe in the type of poll posted wich remind me of those polls in the worst populist magazines.

Peter666
05-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Wow, look at all the geniuses who don't believe in God. In fact,just look at all the geniuses! I call BS.

Unless you can verify it with objective sources, I don't think you are a genius.

mrshirt
05-04-2006, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I am a member of Mensa, and I scored 156+ on the Raven's progressive matrice test.

But I have a small penis so James Woods still beats me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, that cracked me up. I was just reading that thread, too.

But ya, this poll is goofy, but most are posted on 'net forums.

Case Closed
05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
What should I put if I am a deist?

jws43yale
05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
It is actually a trend for the smartest men on the planet to come to a belief in god. Stepher Hawking gained a belief in god after years of studying the universe. He states that he realized that there had to be something else. This is a man who is one of the smartest of the century.

As a true genius studies more and more, they realize the is infinitely more they will never be able to grasp. When they come to terms with this reality, the are able to open their mind to belief in something greater.

MidGe
05-04-2006, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This type of thing seems to regularly happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you can even quantify this! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
ORLY

Copernicus
05-04-2006, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is actually a trend for the smartest men on the planet to come to a belief in god. Stepher Hawking gained a belief in god after years of studying the universe. He states that he realized that there had to be something else. This is a man who is one of the smartest of the century.

As a true genius studies more and more, they realize the is infinitely more they will never be able to grasp. When they come to terms with this reality, the are able to open their mind to belief in something greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, this is a misquote of Stephen Hawking and he does not believe in god.

HLMencken
05-04-2006, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm repetitive. I'm unoriginal. Indulge me, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP