PDA

View Full Version : Bicameral Mind

John21
02-13-2007, 05:41 PM
wiki link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Origin_of_Consciousness_in_the_Breakdown_of_th e_Bicameral_Mind)
In psychology, bicameralism is a controversial theory which argues that the human brain once assumed a state known as a bicameral mind in which cognitive functions are divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking," and a second part which listens and obeys.
The term was coined by psychologist Julian Jaynes, who presented the idea in the 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, wherein he made the case that the bicameral mentality was the normal state of the human mind everywhere as recently as 3000 years ago.
At one time human nature was split in two, an executive part called a god, and a follower part called a man. Neither part was Consciously aware.
According to Jaynes, ancient people in the bicameral state would function in a manner similar to that of a modern-day schizophrenic. Rather than making conscious evaluations in novel or unexpected situations, the person would hallucinate a voice or "god" giving admonitory advice or commands, and obey these voices without question.

Jaynes asserts that until roughly the times written about in Homer's Iliad, humans did not generally have the self-awareness characteristic of consciousness as most people experience it today. Rather, Jaynes argued that the bicameral individual was guided by mental commands believed to be issued by external "gods"—the commands which were so often recorded in ancient myths, legends and historical accounts; these commands were however emanating from individuals' own minds. This is exemplified not only in the commands given to characters in ancient epics but also the very muses of Greek mythology which "sang" the poems: Jaynes argues that while later interpretations see the muses as a simple personification of creative inspiration, the ancients literally heard muses as the direct source of their music and poetry.

For example, he asserts that, in The Iliad and sections of the Old Testament in The Bible, no mention is made of any kind of cognitive processes such as introspection, and he argues that there is no apparent indication that the writers were self-aware. According to Jaynes, the older portions of the Old Testament (such as the Book of Amos) have little or none of the features of some later books of the Old Testament (such as Ecclesiastes) as well as later works such as The Odyssey, which show indications of a profoundly different kind of mentality—an early form of consciousness.

ChrisV
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I've seen this theory before and it strikes me as somewhat implausible. How and why would such a "breakdown" take place? I assume Jaynes goes into that in his book, but I can't imagine a theory that would be convincing to me.

I'm more sympathetic to the idea that all of us may have more than one conscious being packed into our heads. If we did - if both hemispheres contained a distinct self - how would we know? The fact that most Split-brain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-brain) patients experience little to no impairment in everyday life, as well as little change in personality, suggests to me that the self may be resident in one hemisphere only.

DougShrapnel
02-16-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't see much for the Bicameral mind. But I think I see alot regarding the primitiveness of religion.

PLOlover
02-16-2007, 01:43 AM
One of the best books for a university student or an honors high school student to read imo.

Mr. Now
02-16-2007, 10:54 PM
A person could make an excellent bet by wagering a hundred ounces of gold that Julian Jaynes's book, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind (Houghton Mifflin, 1976) will someday rank among the twenty most important books ever written.

Bicameral mentalities avoid human self-responsibility by seeking and obeying external decision makers. In poker, for example, bicameral tendencies leave players open to being controlled by any conscious individual acting as an external decision maker and authority.

madnak
02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Whoa. Okay, how many women are bicameral, and how do I find them?