PDA

View Full Version : Reading glasses and poker?

Adde
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I just got back from examination at the optician. I have always made top score when examining my eyes before, but now (at 34 years old) I don't perform as well anymore. I was prescribed some reading glasses when working at the computer and, hrmm, while reading.

I've only been using them for a day, but one major distraction seems to be switching the eyes between the computer and the tv in the background (and to some lesser extent, between keyboard and monitor).

Anyone got experience playing (long hours of) poker with reading glasses? Tips and tricks, etc?

Adde

OldYoda
01-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm 57, my eyes are awful and I wear bifocals. Switching back and forth between near and far objects will become automatic - just give it a few days.

lunapark
01-03-2006, 05:58 PM
at age 34 it sounds like your prescription is for being farsighted, as opposed to the reading prescription that ppl over the age of 40 will wear. Its very common and probably has been there for a while. At your age the body doesn't compensate as well anymore and the prescription which is mostly for eye strain starts to take its toll.

Without knowing your prescription, I would suspect that there would be some benefit for distance as well. When you first wear them for distance you probably will feel as if you see better without them. The reason is that your eyes that are in a state of tension, needs to relax which the prescription will do.

In other words you should wear them playing poker (online and live) and you will have less eye strain and won't get tired as quickly.

BTW after a while of wearing them you will take them off and you may feel that your vision is worse. Its not (your prescription will remain fairly stable till your late 30's) its just that you will be comparing comfortable vision with strained vision.

Adde
01-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey all, thanks for great responses!!!

As for the prescription, I was told I am +0.5/+1.0, and was recommended a pair of reading glasses with +1.0/+1.0.

I have to say they feel kind of awkward right now, after only one days use (I admit, that's a pretty small sample size /images/graemlins/wink.gif). Problems adjusting between long and short distance, and some headache, which I guess is just normal and will disappear after I get used to the glasses?

Adde

lunapark
01-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Your prescription is in the range that I thought....If that is your Rx I wouldn't buy a pair of ready made drugstore glasses. I would spend the money on a real pair as your eyes have different prescriptions and they would be centred for your eyes.
Yes your prescription is very mild, and how it affects a person differs from individual to individual. The transition from distance to close will get a lot better with time.

WhatDoesCallMean
01-03-2006, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW after a while of wearing them you will take them off and you may feel that your vision is worse. Its not (your prescription will remain fairly stable till your late 30's) its just that you will be comparing comfortable vision with strained vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

im 26 and just recently got glasses...+1/-.05......i was told to use them when reading and at computer(use computer majority of day at work).....optician told me that my sight was perfect with them on and only slightly not perfect without them

the thing is that i could see my computer screen perfect before i got my glasses except for not seeing the clock great towards evening time....now after a month of wearing them, i can see nothing when i look at computer without them and i also get the feeling that my sight is worse when i take them off to walk around/make coffee/slip out for a ciggie...im convinced that they're making my sight worse...from a purely non-poker related point of view, what does your quote from above mean?

Emmitt2222
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im 26 and just recently got glasses...+1/-.05......i was told to use them when reading and at computer(use computer majority of day at work).....optician told me that my sight was perfect with them on and only slightly not perfect without them

the thing is that i could see my computer screen perfect before i got my glasses except for not seeing the clock great towards evening time....now after a month of wearing them, i can see nothing when i look at computer without them and i also get the feeling that my sight is worse when i take them off to walk around/make coffee/slip out for a ciggie...im convinced that they're making my sight worse...from a purely non-poker related point of view, what does your quote from above mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what has happened to me. Your eyes become dependant on the glasses once you start wearing them all the time. I just use them at the computer so I now NEED them to see the screen, but I can still read books fine without them.

I would honestly say that if I did it again I wouldn't have started wearing the glasses. It helps your eyes for the future, but for now I just feel like not having to ever wear them.

Also, always put your glasses in the same place when you take them off or you will lose many pairs /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lunapark
01-03-2006, 10:17 PM
It means that you do have a mild prescription that your body has compensated for up till now. Wearing the glasses reduces the strain on your eyes. IF you were to check your eyes again you would have the same prescription...it hasn't gotten worse, just your perception of it has. Your Rx won't get worse from wearing glasses, but because you will experience some eye strain when you don't wear them you think its worse. In other words, your body has compensated all the time before you wore your glasses. (in your case one eye working harder than the other.)

slim
01-04-2006, 01:19 AM
it sounds like Luna is in the eyecare field as well.....everything he says is correct.

Hey Luna, doesn't it make you want to slam your head into the wall when patients insist that glasses worsen their eyes??? If eyeglasses causes eyesight to get worse, doesn't that mean that everyone who has ever worn glasses should be blind after a few years?

lunapark
01-04-2006, 07:00 AM
hey slim....yes I am....Toronto.

Adde
01-04-2006, 07:44 AM
First some good stuff, then some scary stuff, then some good stuff...the variance in eye care advice can be a tough cookie. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adde

McNeese72
01-04-2006, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've only been using them for a day, but one major distraction seems to be switching the eyes between the computer and the tv in the background (and to some lesser extent, between keyboard and monitor).

Anyone got experience playing (long hours of) poker with reading glasses? Tips and tricks, etc?

Adde

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried getting some bifocal reading glasses. That's what I use. Works better for close and far than just regular reading glasses.

Edit: Of course after reading the quote from Luna below:

[ QUOTE ]
at age 34 it sounds like your prescription is for being farsighted, as opposed to the reading prescription that ppl over the age of 40 will wear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe what I suggested is not the proper solution for you. I'll defer to the professional in that field.

Doc