PDA

View Full Version : Rev. Peter Popoff

00Jopke00
02-13-2007, 07:49 AM
If you've never heard of this guy, take a glimpse through the foggy window at one of the earth's scum-sucking bottom dwellers.

I hadn't heard of him until this morning around 6:30am where I saw his paid program on what would be SPIKE TV during normal viewing hours. I was multi tabling and trying not to pay attention but he won that battle. The guy is offering a... oh... about an index finger-sized plastic vile (the same type of container that holds shampoo samples) filled with Miracle Spring Water. Yeah, thats right... Miracle [censored] spring [censored] water.

How much does it cost one might ask. Well, its free. He's giving it away out of the kindness of his heart, this... water. It has the power to heal physical as well as financial ailments. A few of the testimonials were from people who could suddenly walk or see after drinking this vile of placebo juice but most of them were people who, shortly after drinking it, received rather large checks in the mail. Yeah.

I was almost sure I was just missing something but a Google search revealed that he was just that much of a scum bag. I am a pretty solid nonbeliever in the idea of creationism but this... really torqued me.

I'm including a link to his web site but its not nearly as hammed up and difficult to look at with a cool head than the TV commercial.

http://www.peterpopoff.org/

slickpoppa
02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
He was exposed as a fraud a long time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BQKu0YP8Y

kurto
02-13-2007, 01:43 PM
From Wikipedia...

Confirming his scumbaggery-

[ QUOTE ]
Prosperity theology
Popoff has recently appeared on late-night U.S. television as a Pentecostal healing evangelist and also in infomercials. He has promoted his "Miracle Spring Water" as a "point of contact" for divine healing. He has also preached a form of prosperity theology under the slogan "Go into business with God", claiming that God will make "divine transfers" into a viewer's "divine account". One infomercial states, "A divine transfer is a supernatural event. This is not money you're going to make from your job... God is going to supernaturally put money into your account."

Within four weeks of submitting one's address to Popoff's automated phone service, subscribers receive in the mail from Popoff (now calling himself "Prophet Peter Popoff") a three-page essay filled with elaborate biblical language and red-ink imitation handwriting. Instead of the promised "Miracle Water", included is a tiny plastic "Golden Tablet" and a "Miracle Band" (a cardboard bracelet marked simply with "JIREH", Hebrew for "see" but sometimes translated "provide"[7]). Popoff purports that the "Golden Tablet" was made by God and intended to create immense wealth for the subscriber. Popoff then insists that the subscriber wear the "Miracle Band" while posting him a check for $28.30 (related to Exodus 28:30 in some way), in order to receive further instructions on how to use the "Golden Tablet".

[edit] Ongoing faith-healing and financial activities
Popoff's new television programs once again feature him "healing the sick" in a manner identical to his method prior to James Randi's exposé.

Since making his comeback to television, there have been several reports of Popoff gaining financially from donations. Some people have received several letters from Popoff, with each succeeding letter asking for more money than previous. A recent report from Fox affiliate WDAF-TV in Kansas City revealed that Popoff's salary in 2004 was over $500,000, and his assets include a 2006 Porsche convertible worth $90,000. Some reporters are urging those who have donated money to Popoff in hopes of receiving "miracles" to report to the Attorney General in their state.[1]

[edit] Financial details on Peter Popoff Ministries
As of FYE 2004, Peter Popoff received $548,167 as President of his organization.
36.7% of the organization's total expenses go towards fundraising and administrative expenses.
In total the Peter Popoff Ministries raised $16,220,066 in revenue in FYE 2004. See Charity Navigator [1]

[/ QUOTE ]

00Jopke00
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has also preached a form of prosperity theology under the slogan "Go into business with God", claiming that God will make "divine transfers" into a viewer's "divine account".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the section that I saw last night on the commercial that made me wonder if I was just missing something. Its unbelievable. There are many businesses that take advantage of weak people but this one, at least imo, is on a different level of filth. The youtube video that slickpoppa posted shows a "healed" woman's genuine thankfulness. I'm physically sick that he is still in business and may need to order some of this water to cure myself.