PDA

View Full Version : Marinades for Chicken/Steak/Lamb/Fish/Turkey...post yours here.

AZK
02-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I have almost completely cut out processed foods from my diet. It's fairly easy to eat clean 90% of the time, but it's that last 10% that is difficult. Marinades are especially difficult for me since I love them (all of lawry's brands) and they contain HFCS. I decided to throw out/return all of my marinades and instead only marinade from scratch or dry spice. This isn't a big deal for steak as I normally like just using a bit of salt and some pepper, maybe some other seasonings occasionally. Fish I am ok on since I buy the frozen pre-marinated fish at TJs that is clean. The big difficulties for me are chicken/turkey as I can only use so much soy sauce/ginger/garlic, or teriyaki (I try not to over do this since they have a lot of sodium) or some sort of olive oil/balsamic medley.

So, I'm going to go to the store this week and pick up a whole collection of spices and oils to make some new marinades. Post your from scratch marinades here.

Thanks.

guids
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Ingredients for marinade
2 tablespoon Lea & Perrins worcestershire
1/4 cup apple cider
3/4 cup honey
1 bottled beer
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
pinch of clove
Couple dashes of Hot sauce

for poultry

keikiwai
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
almost insta fish marinade

this is a really simple one, but i like it

press tons of garlic into a saucepan you are melting butter in... i usually end up using 1 bar of butter (use high quality stuff)... keep on there for as long as your taste dictates

pour it over the fish, and throw the fish in the fridge till the butter solidifies... once it has it's ready for the bbq

M2d
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
even if you live in an apartment, do yourself a favor and grow some of your own herbs. rosemary is ridiculously easy to keep alive and I use it on chicken, lamb and some beef. I also use that frozen cubes of parsley, basil and garlic that they sell at tj's.
and easy one for lamb: couple of sprigs of rosemary minced. couple of cloves of garlic minced. salt and pepper. olive oil. make a paste and rub onto the lamb.

cbloom
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
A special treat for fish is "kazusuke" or "misosuke" , which is like sake+mirin+miso , which you heat then let the fish marinate for 2-3 days.

This seems like one decent recipe :

http://www.nbc4.tv/food/2044644/detail.html
Miso Bronzed Black Cod - Food

Can be used on any fish that's good broiled with sweet flavor (butterfish, salmon, sea bass, etc.)

samjjones
02-12-2007, 08:02 PM
High fructose corn syrup is part of a well balanced diet.

edfurlong
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Yogurt with a little lemon juice and whatever herbs and spices you like is a quick and easy way to change it up.

I'm more of a throw stuff in as I go guy, but this recipe from epicurious is pretty standard.

Recipe (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107682)

Edit: found a recipe that sucked less.

renodoc
02-12-2007, 08:34 PM
For Fish (swordfish is best, halibut works)

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cider vinegar
dash white worcester
two bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon taragon
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
salt to taste

soak it awhile
grill it

ImsaKidd
02-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Kinda OT:

Im a college student, I've got a george foreman grill and a microwave. I've done some steaks/fish/chicken on the grill, basically using seasoned salt (Jane's krazy mixed-up seasonings) on everything. They taste fine, but are there any easy alternatives? All the posted suggestions seem kinda complicated/require a range

keikiwai
02-13-2007, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda OT:

Im a college student, I've got a george foreman grill and a microwave. I've done some steaks/fish/chicken on the grill, basically using seasoned salt (Jane's krazy mixed-up seasonings) on everything. They taste fine, but are there any easy alternatives? All the posted suggestions seem kinda complicated/require a range

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure you could do mine in a microwave

put 1 bar of butter in a pyrex or glass, micro untilt melted - dump garlic in, stir, dump on meat, put in fridge, wait for solidification, put it on grill - the garlic may be strong this way, but a lot of it comes of on the grill anyway

Banks2334
02-13-2007, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

press tons of garlic into a saucepan you are melting butter in... i usually end up using 1 bar of butter (use high quality stuff)... keep on there for as long as your taste dictates

pour it over the fish, and throw the fish in the fridge till the butter solidifies... once it has it's ready for the bbq

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're replacing HFCS with a stick of butter? I thought the OP was trying to eat healthier.

ViolentGandhi
02-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Add yogurt (5tbsp), lemon juice, salt, 1 tsp chilli powder, 0.5 tsp turmeric powder, 3 cloves minced garlic and 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.

gumpzilla
02-13-2007, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and easy one for lamb: couple of sprigs of rosemary minced. couple of cloves of garlic minced. salt and pepper. olive oil. make a paste and rub onto the lamb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll frequently use red wine as well. Tastes good.

Citrus juices do well as marinades, too. I made a steak sandwich last night by soaking thin steaks in lime juice for 10 or 15 minutes. I then patted them dry and rubbed them with cumin, salt and pepper (garlic powder would be good here but I didn't have any.) As a spread for the sandwich, I mashed up an avocado with salt, pepper, garlic and a little more lime juice (I used too much lime relative to the avocado, so the taste of the fruit was a bit overpowered.) Very tasty. This could easily be adapted to chicken or something like tilapia and I think it would work real well.

theblackkeys
02-13-2007, 04:44 AM
Lemon juice, honey, olive oil, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.

Sweet and spicy. I use this on chicken breast.

AZK
02-13-2007, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're replacing HFCS with a stick of butter? I thought the OP was trying to eat healthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Butter is significantly healthier than HFCS. You're taught to think butter is bad for you, it is for most on an american style diet. I have no issues using sticks of butter in my cooking.

bonds
02-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I also like lime juice. For chicken, I'll mix it with some olive oil, tequila and possibly honey.

AZK
02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also like lime juice. For chicken, I'll mix it with some olive oil, tequila and possibly honey.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good, more quick throw in a few random spice type recipes...

4_2_it
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
If you are in a hurry, Worcestershire for burgers (along with a little Tomato Basil Mrs Dash) works pretty well.

Banks2334
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Butter is significantly healthier than HFCS. You're taught to think butter is bad for you, it is for most on an american style diet. I have no issues using sticks of butter in my cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got no problem using butter either. I was looking more from a caloric standpoint. 800 calories/stick is a lot of calories to be adding to the meal.

AZK
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't really count/think about calories, really just try to focus on carb/protein/fat %s...also if you use that for several lbs. of chicken or fish chances are you aren't going to be eating all of it in 1 day.

ratholeusoul
02-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I've had steak in Guinness marinade last summer in Budapest, and I have to say it was one of the finest experiences in life /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyone living in Ireland could hook a nigga up with a recipe /images/graemlins/wink.gif?

Skoob
02-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Plain old bottled Italian dressing works as a marinade for chicken, shellfish, and beef.

Easy.

edit: Mrs. Skoob really likes marinated chicken kabobs with pinapple chunks (use the dressing as the marinade).

AZK
02-17-2007, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plain old bottled Italian dressing works as a marinade for chicken, shellfish, and beef.

Easy.

edit: Mrs. Skoob really likes marinated chicken kabobs with pinapple chunks (use the dressing as the marinade).

[/ QUOTE ]

This has HFCS in it. Nearly all of the marinades I used to use are processed in some way. I am trying to get away from this and hence more olive oil (what other oils/vinegars/etc???) and spices to change things up.

SL__72
02-17-2007, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had steak in Guinness marinade last summer in Budapest, and I have to say it was one of the finest experiences in life /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyone living in Ireland could hook a nigga up with a recipe /images/graemlins/wink.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not from Ireland, but I do have access to this nifty application called google /images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://bbq.about.com/od/marinaderecipes/r/ble30921a.htm

Here is what I found:

* 4 ounces Guinness Stout Beer at room temperature
* 2 garlic cloves
* 1 ounce soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon Vidalia onion
* 1 teaspoon shallots
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh tarragon
* 1/4 teaspoon parsley
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION:
Finely chop garlic, shallot and onion and place in a small bowl. Finely chop parsley and tarragon and add to the bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, Guinness beer, soy sauce and seasonings then mix well to combine.
Let stand for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Once you have finished marinating, place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan and reduce it for one or two minutes until slightly thickened. Add more beer to the marinade at this stage if desired.

milliondollaz
02-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Marinades without processed ingredients are great additions, but I would hate for some killer marinades to be lost, or held back.

How about a warning or something?

My Mom makes a great flank steak marinade, but it uses sugar and soy sauce, which are probably bad for you. It's similar to this, but she doesn't measure anything, so it's hard to nail down...

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

It works so great that I never knew that flank steak was supposed to be tough! You usually need to let it soak in the marinade overnight, or for an entire day. Does about 1.5 lbs of steak.

Go_Blue88
02-17-2007, 05:05 PM
i tried to make something up in order to trick you into trying it...but to no avail...i'll get you one day though--just you wait.