PDA

View Full Version : Help: Reasons for philosophical inquiry into justice?

RainDog
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm not the best at making Philosophical arguments. It seems, to me, at some point akin to religion, whereas I must take a leap of faith if I'm going to approach the matter from any concrete position. Anyhow, I've got to write an essay concerning the matter sometime before Wednesday.

I write decent enough papers and I do have a good grasp on the arguments presented in the text. Creating my own argument, on the other hand, is something I'm having a degree of difficulty with. I'm also not confident dealing with this question as I am not positive that philosophical inquiry develops a better answer regarding such a thing as "justice" that seems ultimately an intuitive "virtue".

Anyone care to start me off?

Topic:
Using Book I of the Republic as your basis, make an argument WHY, according to Socrates, our ordinary, everyday understanding(s) of justice are not sufficient. Why is a philosophical inquiry into what justice is necessary, good, and/or useful?

EDITED to add:

I'm a darned fool. As I posted this I realized I misread the topic in that I don't need to make my OWN argument. I'm still interested in assistance as well non-pertinent commentary regarding the matter of philosophical inquiry into justice.

justscott
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Im reflecting back many years here, but wasn't this one of the arguments with Thrasymachus. He argued Justice was the advantage of the stronger as i recall.

justscott
02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Actually after rereading maybe thats not helpful there, sorry playing poker and reading here..