PDA

View Full Version : Deep Stacks, Implied Odds, Preflop Play and The State of SSNL

fimbulwinter
03-19-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm going to try to make this concise. As evidenced by my previous posts, however, I will probably fail.

1. Deep Stacks

There have been a lot of posts about the new party format and SSNL people playing hands on 200BB or more stacks lately. Thus far it's been unfamiliar ground for a lot of you, so here are a few quick guidelines (as i see them, and i'd love feedback here). These are listed in order of importance, again as i see them. All assume a somewhat thinking player base, therefore most of this is directed at the guys who are on the SS/MH cusp, but most of it should be relevant to all.

- Position becomes more important

there are trillions of reasons for this, the easiest justification IMO is the following: As stacks get deeper, the final bet in the hand gets bigger. when you're deep, you can make a PSB on the river, which is typically many, many BB. position is, in general, good for making or saving one bet on the end; as that end bet gets bigger, position goes up in importance.

- Turn and river play matter now. A lot

Before, you were pretty much all-in on the turn when playing 50xBB and, when the pot was typically 70BB and you had 25 behind, that was for sure the right move with an hope of winning. now he turn and river are legitimate betting rounds and, more importantly, they're rounds in which a good player gets a much bigger overlay than even the flop. look at it this way: they're almost never drawing dead on the flop, so all money that goes in there, big or small, gets a sklansky-bad-beat discount. on a board of A739r AK is drawing stone-cold-mofuggin-dead against 33. on the same board, AK has only 20% to win against A3 where he has about 1/3 to win on the flop. this is one of the (many) reasons you're all seeing bigger winrates on deeper stacks: your bets are coming with greater overlays as you're able to make them on later streets. obviously this means that ply on these streets, where massive amounts of EV are won or lost, is paramount.

- Giving your hand away becomes much more dangerous

This is a habit a lot of you are getting into that it's time to break, if even just a little, in preparation for playing against semi-pseudo-maybe thinking players as you move up. The "YOU REALIZE THAT WHEN YOU PLAY BIG OFFSUIT CRAP YOU'RE GIVING OTHER PLAYERS IMPLIED ODDS" or whatever post kind of touched on this, but honestly (and i know some of you witnessed me espouse this) this is bunk. my response was kind of jerky, but it was right; here's the long version:

when you only raise hands that will very likely make one pair on the flop, you're announcing your hand. think about this for a moment: if i tabulated all of my hands i'd be willing to bet that JT is worth more to me in deep-stacked situations when held on the button/CO than AJ is when held in middle position. if you define hand strength as the amount won on average per hand, then i should be raising JT/CO, as i'll gain many advantages to it (discussed below) more often than AJ/MP. The real point is this: if you play by a preflop strategy that defines your hand, you will not pay dearly on short stacks as hands to crack yours just don't come up often enough and players make their mistakes and give you their money by making the mathmatical mistake of calling preflop with 3 clean outs etc. in a deep stacked situation, things need to change as forcing preflop errors, on those sizes of stacks is nearly impossible (for example, iy you both have 300BB and you only raise aces and can't let go of them, thn even a 6xBB raise is not sufficient to make 72o calling a mistake).

- Disgusing your hand early goes way up in value

This one follows from the above, but an easy way to think about it is this: if i put in 4xBB with 35% pot equity preflop (say raising 56s and gettin called by AK, math may be wrong but i'm not a math guy) that is a mistake that "costs" very little (i think it's actually 1.2 BB). if that deception allows you to win an extra river bet (where the losing hand has 0% pot equity) of 60-100 BB, you can see how easy it is to turn a profit simply looking at it from this perspective, not to mention the fact that this move improves the value of your big hands etc.

- Hand values normalize

in a deep game you're just going to have to put together big hands (or at least really nice draws with which to semibluff) to win big pots. you don't want to play a 400BB pot against anyone but a dolt holding unimproved AA. this may be a sort o sea-change for some, as i remember expecting to double up every time i saw AA at PP25NL's old structure, so here's a way to think about it: now the big hand is not a big PP, but the (insert playable hand here) you play on the button.

there are many more, but i'm failing miserably at my pithyness pledge, so i'll move on.

2. Implied Odds

There is a conundrum that a lot of SSNL'ers (myself certainly included) face when it comes to playing deep. usually it happens after we start to win and get introspective as to why.

it goes like this:

I need to raise all my one-pair hands such that the other guy doesn't get implied odds to flop a set under me. I also need to raise such that worse hands will call so that i can make some money off this hand.

on a 200BB stack, AQ to say greater than 15xBB satisfies the first while 4xBB or less satisfies the second.

so it appears we're at an impasse. WTF dude?

do we just limp these hands and hope to win little?
do we just chuck them in the muck cos we're scared?

the answer to the above two (except in really crappy position or facing a raise) is obviously no.

The solution lies in two parts:

1. just play good.
2. cut down their odds and improve shania by adding hands to your raising repertoire.

explaining quickly:

1. this is obviously the cheaper, easier answer, however i still feel there is some substance to be fleshed out here. this means, in this instance, knowing your dang players. don't play marginal hands without reads. we all know this, but we do it sometimes anywho, like calling with a small PP when we don't have odds etc. Reads make money, and they make a lot more when you're deep. remember, making money and saving it are the same in the end, so take those first few orbits and get craggy.

2. This one takes a bit of thought. if you only raise big hands and can't let go, you'll lose. conversely, if you raise hands that you want to see cheap flops with (like 22) you'll make them losers. so wht do you raise?

well, you raise the AQ etc. but you also raise the 67s with position once in a while. check this out: if they can only count on winning that big pot 1/4 of the time (say you have a non-big hand 1/4 of the time and the other 2/4 you're able to get away) then their implied odds are cut way, way down.

3. Preflop Play

(this is kind of a continuation of the above)
the crux is this: you really really want to build pots with good hands in position in deep NL. this means raising in LP sometimes even with hands that might be dominated (i mean JTs, not KTo). the pot equity loss as discussed above is more than made up by the EV of being disguised, cutting their implied odds, and very importantly, taking a free card when you want it. Also look at it this way: if A4s is worth say 1BB/hand on average in MP3 but 1.8BB on average on button, my raise, which as above cost me 1.2 BB is already 2/3 subsidized by the increase in value of my hand by bringing it closer to the button.

wouldn't it be great if you could get the guy with TPTK to check it to you on the button with a draw-heavy board while you hold the NFD? even better, wouldn't it be nice to see him pay off two streets of PSB's once you turn it while drawing ice-cold-dead because he misinterprets your positional agressiveness preflop as LAGy play in general?

wouldn't it be great to be the one controlling the pot size in the vast majority of hands you play?

you can have all these things and more for the simple speculation of a 4xBB raise.*

*note: the above may sound like an endorsement of my personal play style which includes playing a lot of pots. I can assure you that it is not. I want you to play agressively, regardless of how tight or loose you play (we all agree aggressive is good, no?) and i want you to play in a way that is difficult to counteract and offers many options postflop. I'm not saying that raising 78s after 4 limpers every time is good business. it's not. i'm saying that mixing up your play maybe 10% of the time, in a way which costs very very little, even nothing, long term, allows you to play straightforward, in the most EV-making way, the other 90% and will force your opponents to not only let you do it, but pay you while you do.

finally,

4. The State of SSNL

This forum is exploding. new posters, new advice and new structure. both MH and SSNL are undergoing to boom, so to make this influx manageable, here are a few humble requests for the forum in general:

Posters:

- try to limit yourself to posting few hands. pick the hardest one you don't get and post it. flooding the board with 5 posts after a recent session will get you ignored by the better posters and will really hurt the quality of advice you're going to get.

- try to answer the questons you know; if you don't know, don't pretend. there are a lot of posts that i don't know the answer to, so i think about them and then read other's responses. if i don't get why, then i ask in the thread, but i don't give a logic-less response.

- the best posts from new posters, both for them and for the forum, are questions within posts. while i may get why soah or worst or whoever posted "Turn: C/R A-I", if you don't then ASK them in the thread. not only does this help you out, but it generates deeper discussion about making the thought processes that go into the answers, which we all benefit from.

- Keep the trash posts to a minimum. if you got it in with the best hand and lost, there is no discussion. likewise, if you had a bad day or took a drubbing from a dolt, post your bitch along with something legitimate for discussion or don't post it at all. we've all been there; if there were no bad beats, then losing player's wouldn't play. you owe bad beats for ensuring the profitability of our game.

- moreover, just respect one another. I've been pretty borderline about this lately, and i apologize. even if someone's spewing horrible advice, just post that you disagree and why, not how their thinking shows that they're a tard. going after someone, both at the table and on th forums, makes it impossible to change their minds and makes them look for ways to further justify themselves, even after they've realized they're wrong.

as a sidenote, this board has, despite the noise, never been better IMO. there's a lot of good discussion here and lots of learning going on. to the new guys who have been carrying this board, hats off to you and keep up the good work.

fim

tbach24
03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Awesome post, fim. Another classic that will be added to my favorites.

greg nice
03-19-2005, 06:53 PM
good post as usual. some follow up

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that raising 78s after 4 limpers every time is good business. it's not. i'm saying that mixing up your play maybe 10% of the time, in a way which costs very very little, even nothing, long term, allows you to play straightforward, in the most EV-making way, the other 90% and will force your opponents to not only let you do it, but pay you while you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very good point. many will read your post and in the next 1k hands raise 30% preflop. this will be a disaster. like you say, you just need to mix up your standards enough to leave people guessing. if you are extreme in either direction then you will be readable.

[ QUOTE ]

- try to answer the questons you know; if you don't know, don't pretend. there are a lot of posts that i don't know the answer to, so i think about them and then read other's responses. if i don't get why, then i ask in the thread, but i don't give a logic-less response.

[/ QUOTE ]

with the explosion, more than ever it is important to consider the source of the advice being given. myself, along with a few others i chat with, agree that not only are the quality of the posts very low, but some of the responses are really out there.

zaxx19
03-19-2005, 07:46 PM
i remember expecting to double up every time i saw AA at PP25NL's old structure, so here's a way to think about it: now the big hand is not a big PP, but the (insert playable hand here) you play on the button.

This is golden...I keep seeing posts referring to this mindset..

Tilt
03-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Good stuff fim. Especially the comments on the board.

fimbulwinter
03-20-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a very good point. many will read your post and in the next 1k hands raise 30% preflop. this will be a disaster. like you say, you just need to mix up your standards enough to leave people guessing. if you are extreme in either direction then you will be readable.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i dunno if it would make you readable. on the other hand it would certainly make you both predictable and unprofitable, which are both worse.

[ QUOTE ]

with the explosion, more than ever it is important to consider the source of the advice being given. myself, along with a few others i chat with, agree that not only are the quality of the posts very low, but some of the responses are really out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

in general this is true, but thre real problem i see is the boom/bust cycle of lots of posters. they flood the board with questions and opinions and advice for like a week and then disappear, having learned nothing. I think people in general filter the responses they get but since there are so darn many hands getting posted lately, the ratio of good responses/thread is really getting slim. I agree this really needs some working on, as well as policin the lame advice that sometimes is given.

fim

barongreenback
03-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the post.
Re PFR.
I have no problem playing for more money with marginal hands in position. A lot of the time your raise is for value in pot equity alone. Aggression can also unsettle an opponent which can bring unexpected rewards.

My problem is I don't know how to deal with a resteal preflop. Against a non adaptive opponent its no problem but we're preparing for bigger games here and against a decent player I'm going to get pushed around. I'm talking here about opening in LP. Limping is a lot cheaper but I don't think that's the answer. It gives away too much of my advantage without a fight.

Any help?

BearHustler
03-20-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people in general filter the responses they get but since there are so darn many hands getting posted lately, the ratio of good responses/thread is really getting slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Separate the small stakes no limit forum into two sections? One for hand evaluations and other concrete situations, one for theoretical discussion?

phobetor
03-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I've been reading and re-reading this post for a while. It's a wealth of knowledge in here. I too was a bit thrown off when party made the switch.

Few questions. I'm trying to think how much the NL$25 has been affected. It's true that the flop play has changed, but with so many people playing short stacked and how crazy the flop bets go, I still see a lot of all-ins before the turn. It *definitely* has changed, I'm just wondering how much. And, if the old AA is still profitable. (It appears to be for me.)

Now, given that, I've still trying to adjust my play. I'm tight (VP$IP at 19%) and it took me a while to get my aggression numbers out of the pit. My play has improved dramatically, but I feel my style is no longer working as well. I don't have many disguised hands and I've been getting caught by others that do. Right now, the income from those tables comes from the fish that play poorly and I rely on PT to find them, and stay away from the others I've deemed good. But, eventually I'll want to move up, and if I do, I need to sharpen my game.

So, I've been reading a lot analyzed hands here, trying to come up with better understanding of the plays. This "insert hand here on the button" is interesting. The low to mid pocket pair against TPTK/Overpair when you flop the set is one of my most profitable plays. I don't play too much suited connectors, nor Ax suited. (Although, i don't know if the Ax suited is as disguised.) Are these the types of semi-bluff bets you're talking about? Are there some examples out there I can see to get a better idea how to play a hand out like this?

Keep up the great work... Thanks.

BearHustler
03-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Axs and SC's would be the hands you wanna play on the button. Or in late position in general. You're trying to flop a flush or straight, or draws you have enough odds to chase. And yes, these would be good semi-bluffing hands. Actually, flush and straight draws are good semi-bluffing hands if you're out of position. If you're last to act, giving yourself a free card would probably be a better play. Fimbul would probably have some better advice on this, i'm still working out the semi-bluffing part myself.

SeattleJake
03-20-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always try to put a disclaimer on my posts, since I know there is so much for me to learn, and even regurgitating what I have learned I probably get much wrong. So I always appreciate when someone corrects or expounds on a post I've made. I owe TheWorstPlayer a lot, and hope he and others continue to tell us why they think we're wrong. I'm starting to get to the point where I can filter what I agree and disagree with, but also tend to be able to kill a thread by posting what I'm assuming is an obvious newbie response.

In that regard, I expect this to be the last response to this thread... So, Thanks for the posts, and keep them as long as you want!

fimbulwinter
03-20-2005, 06:54 PM
quickly:

there was a caveat at the beginning of the post that this was aimed at games with players who are playing a bit more logically than PP25NL. not to say that there aren't good players in that game, there are, but that those players are vastly outnumbered. if you do run into someone who your respect or end up at a table of good deep-stacks, then take my post to heart.

as for the suited aces, i love em. they're great for breaking big pairs and winning big pots. and (in general) when you're semibluffing with them on the flop, you have 12 or more, instead of the normal 9, outs to hit.

maybe i'll post a hand or a little something about suited aces specifically, anywho, back to writing.

fim

-Skeme-
03-20-2005, 07:00 PM
GP.

zaxx19
03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
as for the suited aces, i love em. they're great for breaking big pairs

Really?? Hows that ?? I mean they are best to semi bluff with on flops...someone probably isnt laying their over pair on a flop after they just bumped it 10bb or whatever so how is Axs a good hand to play against big pairs?

xorbie
03-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Because the A gives you three extra outs if you end up all in on a flop of 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif10/images/graemlins/spade.gif against the guy with JJ and you have A/images/graemlins/spade.gifx/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I could be wrong though.

swolfe
03-20-2005, 09:01 PM
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=837806
pokenum -h as 5s - jh jd -- 2d ts 6s
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Ts 6s 2d
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As 5s 458 46.26 532 53.74 0 0.00 0.463
Jd Jh 532 53.74 458 46.26 0 0.00 0.537

jhall23
03-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Fimbulwinter,

I'm curious to how you handle flops when you are making raises from the CO/Button and you miss the flop completely, pick up a decent but not great draw or pick up a great draw. I think I may be leaking some money by possibly being too agressive on the flop after my raises. Curious as to some of your basic Ideas for handling flop play after making raises.

There a few obvious things I realize like the more people who call you the less likely you are to be able to pick up the pot with a continuation bet. If it's heads up I'll probably bet out at least 75% (probably more) when checked to and will raise when someone leads into me with a weak bet maybe 50% of the time as defaults when I don't have any reads. I realize that there are way to many combinations of situations that happen on the flop so this is a very broad question. If this is too broad a thing to comment on let me know and I'll try and think of some more specific scenarios than I have mentioned.

fimbulwinter
03-20-2005, 10:28 PM
well, this is like asking "tell me how to win at poker" or "when should i bluff?"

It's mostly experience, reads and the situation at hand

(excuse me while i wash my own mouth out with soap)

ok, here's some nitty gritty

against 2 or fewer opponents, I'm betting almost any flop.
more than that, i play almot perfectly in line with my hand, namely i ceck or call when drawing, bet when i make something good like twopair or trips or a monster draw.

this i one of the great things about the raise; very often you get free cards you want to make those crap draws like nut gutshot draws and backdoor flush draws and twopair and trips draws etc.

"that jerk beat my set with 67 by catching two runners"
"well how much were you betting?"
"well, um, see he raised this crap preflop so i was going for the checkraise cos i put him on kings and..."

AND, when you do hit, you do get paid off. one real mindset change required when you start playing deep though is the whole "i raised preflop, this pot belongs to me" attitude. this really hurts, especially when you're raising your position as often as you're raising your cards.

here's another way to think about such things:

- we often raise the flop on a draw to try and get the river card cheaper than if we checked and called
- this is called a semibluff because we're increasing money in the pot with a hand we know is likely not best, but it adds deception and gets wht we want cheaper
- preflop, all bets are semibluffs

fim

zaxx19
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
So your a dog ....and he probably isnt folding..wow that must be tremendously profitable, do you make your money by semi bluffing folding equity here??

Remember this is SSNLH...people arent that apt to fold overpairs...thats how we make money of our sets..

fimbulwinter
03-20-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All assume a somewhat thinking player base, therefore most of this is directed at the guys who are on the SS/MH cusp, but most of it should be relevant to all.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the easiest way to explain why your concerns are unfounded.

do you realize how little fold equity is needed to make a semibluff with 45% pot equity profitable?

fim

AncientPC
03-20-2005, 11:04 PM
fimbul you say too much sometimes. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

gonepunting
03-20-2005, 11:48 PM
That's a great post - thanks.
I'm starting out after a year or so of limit (3/6 & 5/10) and finally changing the mindset.
In terms of the questions on what to raise with and how to mix it up, Harringtons book has a really good breakdown of how to mix up the raises for pairs, SCs, big unsuited by position.

phobetor
03-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Love the semi-bluff...

Okay, here's what I did. Lot of assumptions, but Fim is totally right. In our example, we assume we're against a high pocket pair. There's a flush draw on the board and we're against JJ, QQ, KK, or AA.

Based on the odds, any of them but AA are a 53.6% favourite to win, and if we're against AA, then they are a 62.7% favourite to win. So, let's assume it was raised 10BB heads up and we got the big and small blind in the pot. We're also playing in 100xBB stacks, so if we just started, we're at 90BB (minus the pre-flop bet).

Total pot after the flop: 21.5BB

If we're both evenly stacked and push our 90BB after the flop, we can have two things happen: They fold, we win the pot, or they call and we either hit or miss. For assumptions, let's say they fold 10% of the time - just 10. And, based on the odds, let's say there's a 75% chance they don't have aces, and they have one of the other 4 higher over pairs. (I bet that would be higher than 75% considering we're holding one ace, but for now, we'll be pessimistic.)

Here's how it works out over 100 hands:

Fold: +215BB
Call and Hit:
(95%*75%*46.4%*100*(21.5BB+90BB))+
(95%*25%*37.3%*100*(21.5BB+90BB))= +4427.94BB
Call & Miss:
(95%*75%*53.6%*100*(90BB)+
(95%*75%*62.7%*100*(90BB)= -4525.88BB

For a grand total of 117.07 BB, or
1.17 BB per hand positive expectation.

Not too bad for Ax suited. And, all you need is for them to fold 10% of the time...

Now, I hope my math is right... it is late.

(BTW, the only thing missing are the bets we lose when we don't hit the flop and we have to dump the hand... I'm thinking as long we get 10% or 15% to fold, we'll make that up.)

fimbulwinter
03-21-2005, 12:46 AM
good analysis.

best part is that folding AK unimproved is very easy, and it is certainly the best hand at the time. add that hand in there with 16/6 card frequency of one of the others (if the raise means AK, AA, KK, QQ or JJ it will be AK 16/40 or 40% of the time) and your semibluff both gains hugely in fold equity and value.

fim

ps- funny how similar

Axs vs KK
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=838099

looks to

AK vs Axs
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=838102

now tell me that raising with Axs isn't a good idea.

Wayfare
03-21-2005, 12:50 AM
It's close once you flop a draw. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

phobetor
03-21-2005, 12:53 AM
I could be wrong about this stat... but isn't flopping 2 or more of one suit about the same as flopping a set? About 8 to 1 against...

fimbulwinter
03-21-2005, 12:58 AM
I think it's something like 1/20 times you make a flush, 1/7 times you'll flop the draw.

math is the worst part of my game.

fim

Wayfare
03-21-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm on IM if you want to chat. I added your names as well.

phobetor
03-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Thinking about this more... this is the key to playing these hands. The misses.

Suppose we call a pre-flop raise, or raise pre-flop with Ax suited over 80 times. In 10 of those, we'll hit the flush draw and we know with a semi-bliff, that's +EV. Around 3 times we'll hit either full-house, trips, two pair or the nut flush on the flop. We can definitely make money on those. But, we've got 67 hands left where we've missed the flop. I don't think the wins can make up for the misses.

This is where I think the math breaks down, as it's hard to calculate the outcome. If you folded all 67, you'd be a huge underdog with the Ax suited, considering all the raises you called. It's a bit of a catch 22. You need the pot to be a pretty good size to make the semi-bluff work, but the raises add up when you miss, making you wish you could limp.

So, how do you make these hands profitable considering all the misses?

(EDIT: I also forgot - if you play the A2s - A5s, you have those straight possibilties too. Maybe these are better than the A6s - A10s or whatever the cutoff may be...)

parttimepro
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Great post fim.

[ QUOTE ]
- moreover, just respect one another. I've been pretty borderline about this lately, and i apologize. even if someone's spewing horrible advice, just post that you disagree and why, not how their thinking shows that they're a tard. going after someone, both at the table and on th forums, makes it impossible to change their minds and makes them look for ways to further justify themselves, even after they've realized they're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

And from last night:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I'm fimbulwinter,

very often i make scarcastic responses to crappy, self-serving posts which are worthless and contribute nothing to the board except to create a moronic, annoying background chorus to SSNL and to allow the poster to excuse himself for not being able to beat what is ostensibly a fair and soft game. such posts, which drip with scarcasm and disdain are not meant to be taken seriously except in the context of exposing the shoddy, spineless logic used in the inciting post.

nice to meet you

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at least you apologized. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fimbulwinter
03-21-2005, 04:04 PM
that's why calling raises without overcallers is a bad idea with Axs. what i'm saying is this: Axs is a good hand to play in multiway, raised pots and a good hand to raise/try to steal with in position, even if sometimes that will get you dominated.

if we call the raise, we'll have to put together som kind of hand to win th pot, so we want callers in front of us to maximize our returns when we do.

if we make the raise, we'll not only have a moderate chance of actually having the best hand, but we have the chance of flopping a non-dominated ace, taking it down preflop and taking free cards to hit a flush when someone else is trying to make the same flush with 76s.

the difference between the two scenarios (you raising and them raising) is huge. most often you will be limping here, but say 15% of the time with few limpers you're going to raise it (for reasons discussed in the post). obviously if someone raises UTG and it's folded to you on the button, you're going to fold as well; however if two call in between, you call too. I think my comment has been misconstrued as "always call a raise with Axs and always raise with it". obviously i don't mena that. What i'm saying is that it plays well in a multiway raised pot and well in a steal/position raise kind of situation. obvioulsy if we riased A2s every time we'd make it a loser, just like if we raised 56s every time. i actually adressed this point in the caveat portion of the post.

did that clear it up?

fim

fimbulwinter
03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
well, i hope i'm off the hook given the context of the poster.

that comment was made more in response to all the "my style is just unique, it's what works for me, so why can't we all just give our opinions and be cool man?" when the person has said that open folding something like KQ is a good idea in LP.

when someone says "OMFG PARTYISRIGGD how can you beat bad players i mean if only everyone was good cos im too good for these donkeys, nad yeah, good advice fim, i think if i play in the 1K game i'll do better cos beating the 25 game is impossible awesome dude!"

you know it's time to nip it in the bud right then and there.

fim

phobetor
03-21-2005, 06:22 PM
You know, for someone who claims the math is the worst part of their game, you sure do think things out quite logically. I actually was going through some of these scenerios, figuring which plays are profitable. Yes, it does make sense. Do you just get a feel for these from playing a lot, or do you actually work out the math? I like to see it in my head first, make sure I know what I'll need when I see it on the table in order for a play to be profitable - ie, the stack sizes, the current pot, the number of players, etc. When you get into these more (let's call them advanced) plays the math is pretty complicated and there's a lot of variables, making it hard to remember. I think it's pretty easy to check stack to see if one should call with a small pocket pair, fold if we miss, and raise when we hit the set. But, these plays are much harder...

Anyway, good post Fim

Finite_Risk
06-05-2005, 10:09 AM
A bump - just curious if anyone's views have changed now that this has been in effect for a while

amoeba
06-05-2005, 11:12 AM
hi fimbul, I think this is good post. I think my biggest leak is raising preflop with SC, missing flop completely but flop has an A lets say. I try to rep A by betting out, I get called. turn checked through. I make a river bluff again with nothing, I get called by somebody with At-AQ or 2nd pair.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with this. not bluff on subsequent streets against guys who call with these hands?

fimbulwinter
06-05-2005, 02:29 PM
hi amoeba:

your default should still be limping, so you shouldn't be running into it that often. also, there's no shame in cold folding a SC even with fairly good (like CO with loose button) position.

that said, your line is fine, just remember that you really need to look at the board texture to evaluate the amount of your river bluff or at all. if the board is drawless, dont even bother bluffing it; if there were a lot of draws that missed, your bluff only needs to get nopair to fold, which doesnt have to be much (like 1/2 or 1/3 pot).

gl

fim

Allinlife
06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
I almost always raise SC/ small PP in button/CO playing 6 max, actually I raise with SC's everytime I feel that I have a decent chance of playing a pot HU in position, while I tend to limp more with small pp's in early position. is this a leak?

Spladle
06-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Good post.

Anacardo
06-05-2005, 05:52 PM
One of the best & most useful posts I've ever encountered. Mad props.

Spladle
06-06-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the best & most useful posts I've ever encountered. Mad props.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true only if you are talking about the OP. If you are referring to my post then ha-ha.

mason55
09-15-2005, 01:34 AM
bump because this needs to be read by everyone here again.

ChipWrecked
11-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Bumpity bump. Giving thanks for good posts.

Scorch
11-26-2005, 12:37 AM
How has the structure at PP changed exactly?

elus2
11-26-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How has the structure at PP changed exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

50bb -> 100bb max

spsurfin_Michael
01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Bump. This is an incredible read and learning tool. Thank you /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MaddHatter
03-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Incredible Post Fim - deserves a read by anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

DWarrior
03-28-2006, 07:36 PM
The Frosted FlakesŪ of SSNL

Ya_Fooboo
06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
bump!

NewUser2006
06-04-2006, 06:45 PM
NL T&P explains this twice as well!

Slap My Jack
06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Bastards, you got my hopes up thinking fimbulwinter was posting again.

EMc
06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, me too.

vabogee
06-04-2006, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously...wtf!

dazraf69
06-04-2006, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one real mindset change required when you start playing deep though is the whole "i raised preflop, this pot belongs to me" attitude. this really hurts, especially when you're raising your position as often as you're raising your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post, I can see why there is a demand for more post. This quote stood out to me as it was one of my biggest leaks. It relates to the discussion of AA's and expecting to get payed off. This forum as of late seems to be exploding with insightful Post influencing my game in +EV. Thanks fimbulwinter and all others.

xwillience
06-04-2006, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i pissed myself when i saw the author.... thanks for the mess u asses.

Ya_Fooboo
06-04-2006, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NL T&P explains this twice as well!

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame not everybody has it yet. I don't plan on getting it either after seeing a couple bad reviews about it on here.

I see, only people with >600 posts can bump this. FWIW I wish he would have gone past 3k posts as well.

CallYNotRaise06
06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
awesome post