PDA

View Full Version : Holy Books

New001
02-10-2006, 01:04 AM
A series of simple polls. Please be honest with the responses.

Gobgogbog
02-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Atheist/Yes/Yes/No

New001
02-10-2006, 01:11 AM
As for me, I'm not a theist. I've read portions of all three books but never all, and recently purchased a Bible and a Qur'an from Amazon.com to start reading through it all. Right now, I'm just about finished with Exodus in the OT.

Gobgogbog
02-10-2006, 01:17 AM
The only reason I read the bible was because I was raised christian. I was pretty scared I was going to hell for not believing 100%, so I read the bible in its entirety a couple of times trying to find something that would give me that last little bit of belief.

chrisnice
02-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Where is the Book of Mormon?

New001
02-10-2006, 02:13 AM
It's hanging out with the Bhagavad Gita and any others I intentionally left out.

chrisnice
02-10-2006, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hanging out with the Bhagavad Gita and any others I intentionally left out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give us 50 years and you wont.

EJXD2
02-10-2006, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give us 50 years and you wont.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny... because everyone wishes s/he lived in UTAH!

Ben Young
02-10-2006, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about books from the Pali Canon?

surely you think Buddhism is as serious as Islam, Christianity, and Judaism?

New001
02-11-2006, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about books from the Pali Canon?

surely you think Buddhism is as serious as Islam, Christianity, and Judaism?

[/ QUOTE ]
Having been raised by Buddhist parents, I most certainly think Buddhism is "serious." However, I was interested in the results of the poll pertaining to just the Old and New Testaments and the Qur'an. If you'd like to make a poll containing every religion's holy texts, go right ahead! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

soon2bepro
02-11-2006, 01:14 AM
how can buddism have a holy text when the belief itself doesn't imply any kind of holiness?

BigSoonerFan
02-11-2006, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where is the Book of Mormon?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Utah?

New001
02-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Could some of the theists (at least, those who follow a religion based on one or more of these three texts) who voted that they have not read any or all of these in their entirety please elaborate why? Thanks.

bunny
02-12-2006, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could some of the theists (at least, those who follow a religion based on one or more of these three texts) who voted that they have not read any or all of these in their entirety please elaborate why? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a theist (although I havent voted) who has not read all of these books in their entirety. I have read many of them completely (if in a fairly rough fashion) and most of them a bit.

I dont feel compelled to read them all as I am basically a heretic. I believe that God has guided humans through prophets, divine inspiration, etcetera but that this is always filtered through us. As such it is an imperfect translation, if you like - we cannot understand his divine thoughts, presence, inspiration, whatever it is and so we do our best.

Thus, although I believe in the Bible (not due to sampling everything and then choosing the bible as the best - I have other reasons) I believe it to be the best effort of some human translating God's message. I also believe it has been altered, edited, interpreted in various political and decidely unchristian ways over the years - so I dont regard the written word as Gospel (so to speak).

As I said above though - this is clearly a heretical view and not anything like an answer any church would give.

New001
02-12-2006, 02:50 AM
That is the kind of answer I'm looking for - thanks! I'd like to hear from others too, please.

godBoy
02-12-2006, 07:23 AM
I am a christian, I have not read the old or new testaments in their entirety and none of the Koran. There are books I try to read 'religiously' /images/graemlins/crazy.gif... The Psamls, proverbs and the Gospels. I try to read a psalm, a proverb, and something from the new testament each day. I get something new from the psalms and proverbs each time I read them so I keep going back to them. I have read the majority of the bible though.

PokerPadawan
02-12-2006, 08:02 AM
You forgot The Theory of Poker.