PDA

View Full Version : NL10 reraise AKo from BB and miss flop with shortish stack.

Angrymoog
02-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Following hand came up last night. I don't have access to my hand histories right now, so forgive me for the non-pretty post.

it's 10NL with .10 bb, and I have around ~8.00, villain covers me.

Preflop:
I get AKo dealt to me in the BB, and it folds around to Button who raises to .30, sb folds an I reraise to $2.00.
Button calls.

Flop: 5 Q 10 rainbow. pot is ~$4.00 and I have $6 left.
I push all in for my remaining chips.

regardless of result, I looked back on this hand thinking it was a bad play. What's the consensus? I realize if I'd had a full $10 stack I might have been more inclined to let go. I know I probably have some outs if called, maybe not 10 clean outs, but discounted, perhaps 7 or 8. Theres also the chance he folds a better hand, (lower pp than QQ excluding 1010 of course) and AK of course.

What would you do?

Sean Fraley
02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
1) A reraise to $0.90 or $1.20 would have been perfectly reasonable. $2 is a bit excessive, and leads to ...

2) A bloated pot that you are playing OOP. While AKo is a good hand preflop, if it misses the flop you start to have problems. You 3-bet preflop, so a c-bet here is pretty much mandatory, and has a good chance of taking the pot. In this pot we are talking about $2.50 or $3.00, which leaves you pretty much commited. In this case the shove makes sense. On the other hand, had you raised to lets say $0.90, which would have been enough to deny villain set odds if you have an $8 stack, you would be playing a pot of about $2 and a 3/4 pot c-bet would be $1.50, which doesn't leave you pot committed if villain decides to stick around.

As played preflop, the flop was pretty much push or fold. The mistake was not forgetting to rebuy to $10 (though you should still do that), but getting a bit overzealous with the size of your preflop raise.

Angrymoog
02-08-2007, 08:19 PM
yeah to be honest, I raised to so much because I felt based on my knowledge of villain having folded a number of raised pots to cbets(which is information I know I didnt include in initial post) so I was hoping to make the pot as big as possible.

But you're correct, I would normally just raise to 1.30 or so here, and it would give me an easier spot on the flop.