PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - Would you fold a straight here?

Entropy4
02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
$.25 BB NL, 6 handed.

Hero is in MP with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif, calls for $.25.
CO calls for $.25.
BB checks.

Flop is K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. (Pot = $1.10)

Checks around.

Turn is 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif. (Pot = $1.10)

Checks around.

River is J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. (Pot = $1.10)

<font color="red">BB bets $2.00.
Hero raises $3.00 to $5.00.</font>
CO folds.
<font color="red">BB goes all-in for $16.70.</font>

Hero?

KurtSF
02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Nope, I call. But I am a bit of a station.

dkoleary
02-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I call, but obv depends on stats.

King Spew
02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Nope, can't call here..... w/o a read that says villain is a bluffer... a BIG bet bluffer.

Seriously, what hand will push here that you beat EXCEPT bluffs? KJ is NOT pushing, 9x (where x isn't boating) is NOT pushing. Both are calling your river raise.

What hand pushes after check arounds? Only K9, QT, 99 and 66 IMO. But I think that is what you see here. AA, KK, JJ.... out of range: no PFR.

moeron1
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree that without a read on villian as a bluffer then its a fold to his all in. Id be content to just call his river bet, cuz without a read i dont know if he will pay off and im not ready to call an all in.

homanga
02-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I'd call river...your gonna see alot of 9x

But I think you raise preflop and get a bet in on flop or turn to see where your at.

Maneh
02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
As played I call here.

But I'd raise or folded PF.

Entropy4
02-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I called and he had K9. I wish I had thought about it more even though I doubt I could have laid it down (was card-dead all session). I didn't have a read on this guy. But a check, check, all-in tells you he's slow-playing a monster. Only things I could see him doing that with are K9, KK, and 99. I was hoping he had 9x, or KJ, but as someone here said, he wouldn't have gone all-in with those. Couple questions:

1. I can see how raising pre-flop may have saved me, but isn't QTo in MP a little weak to be raising? I'm a bit of a newbie, so I still play bread and butter poker, and I've always read that QTo is too weak to be raising.
2. Why should I be betting on the flop with nothing but a gut-shot straight draw when I still have a guy to act behind me? Shouldn't I just take the free cards?

Warteen
02-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I could see a guy pushing all-in with A9 here.

MyNameIsSamSnead
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. I can see how raising pre-flop may have saved me, but isn't QTo in MP a little weak to be raising? I'm a bit of a newbie, so I still play bread and butter poker, and I've always read that QTo is too weak to be raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

If QTo is too weak to be raising with....then it is much too weak to be just calling with.

Entropy4
02-08-2007, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If QTo is too weak to be raising with....then it is much too weak to be just calling with.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're basically saying "never limp?"

Maneh
02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're basically saying "never limp?"

[/ QUOTE ]

First in pot u should open or fold IMHO.

Probally BB folds K9 if u raised PF

Entropy4
02-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Interesting, so only limp if others have limped in front of you? This is sound strategy?

Forgive my newbieness, I've only been playing seriously for a few weeks now. This statement just kind of rocked my world. lol!

How about my second question? I don't see how betting out in MP on the flop with nothing but a gut-shot is a good play? Can someone explain this to me?

KurtSF
02-08-2007, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, so only limp if others have limped in front of you? This is sound strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

As with everything, it depends. There are certainly some that make a habit of open-limping, and win money doing it. And there are always exception. But, on the other hand, if you followed this "rule" precisely you wouldn't be making any mistakes, either.

[ QUOTE ]

How about my second question? I don't see how betting out in MP on the flop with nothing but a gut-shot is a good play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a good play. At least not when you limp. If you had raised preflop you're applying heavy pressure to the other players in the hand and they'll need a 9 or at least a K to play back. Odds are they don't have it, and if they do you'll find out soon enough.

SwingVelvet
02-08-2007, 06:06 PM
1- in a 6 handed game, you should never open limp, remember hand values go up since there's only 6 hands being dealt. when you raise preflop, you increase ur odds of winning the hand either preflop (everyone folds) or post flop
2- the guy that told you to bet on the flop was referring to a continuation bet (cbet), which is when you raise preflop and continuate your aggresiveness by betting on the flop. this is usually done about 90% of the time after you preflop raise, and against only one oponent