PDA

View Full Version : Check rasing on the river

.KeviN.
02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
In NLHETAP, Slansky gives 3 main reasons for attempting a c/r on the river....

1.You think opponent will bet with more hands than he will call with.

2. You have a monster and you think your opponent will bet and call a c/r, but not raise if you bet or will call a bet the size of a c/r.

3. You want to bluff

Now I rarely c/r the river online, partly bc my reads arent as sharp as live and party bc at these stakes (50NL) I take the VB line most of the time. Most of the time when I'm c/ring the river it's bc I have nothing and plan on folding, but see a fishy bet and consider the board/way it was played and figure I might just be able to take it down. I guess falls under condition #3, but most of the time it's not planned out.

Now I'm wondering how often the 6 max SSNL winners out there take the river c/r line instead of VBing? I'm thinking that sometimes I might be missing out on a little extra $ by betting out in situations where the more profitable play would be the c/r. Can anyone post some theoretical or real hands that would apply here?

Messiahkid
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
4. Your opponent was obviously on a draw and may have a piece or completely missed at all, will fold to your valuebet, but when you check he will stab.

It is very profitable at SSNL on FTP.

avfletch
02-08-2007, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Your opponent was obviously on a draw and may have a piece or completely missed at all, will fold to your valuebet, but when you check he will stab.

It is very profitable at SSNL on FTP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you suspect a missed draw surely you want to be check/calling? He's not calling a c/r with a missed draw but may call with hands that beat us if we are wrong.

KurtSF
02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I've been having a lot of success with a river c/r recently. I've run it about 5 times in the last few days. I think twice it got checked through (if they would have called a bet I missed out), twice they took a stab and I took it down by coming over, and once this happened (sorry no HH right now):

I flop the nut flush and lead flop, get raised and call. I check turn, he checks behind. At the river the board is still unpaired, I have the nuts, I check to him, he bets, I c/r, he calls, and I'm happy.

After the hand he says "I was sure you wouldn't check the river with the flush," I say "yeah, I probably shouldn't have".

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm trying to refine the times I VB on the end because I know I don't do it enough. This, however, should be done only when you have a read on his hand and his style.