PDA

View Full Version : So... Why 6-max?

Rocco
02-08-2007, 07:38 AM
I mostly play tournaments, and when I do play cash games, I go for full ring. Like the title says, why should I play 6-max instead. There must be some really good reasons to why we have one forum for full ring while 6-max is divided into four forums?

I just go ahead and fire out some assumptions that probably are totally off:

- Since 80% of all NL 2+2ers seem to play 6-max, the game is invaded by tight-aggros?

- Swings are bigger in 6-max and harder to cope with?

I'd really like to give it a try. Convince me! What can I expect from the game? How will my overall poker skills benefit from playing 6-max?

thac
02-08-2007, 07:46 AM
There's more of a need to play hands due to the blinds coming around more often, and playing many hands means more mistakes your opponents will make. If you make few big mistakes while your opponents keep making big mistakes, over time, you'll make money faster at 6-max than at full ring due to the amount of hands played.

JadeRedstone
02-08-2007, 07:48 AM
playing short hand tables you get more action. You see more hands.
Its as simple as that. You need to be very comfortable with post flop play, players reading and position playing.
Most 6 hand players are really really loose.

I play more full rings now, since I half between TAg and LAG. When I do sit in a SH table I actually tighten up. No point playing small suited connectors etc in small pots. When you do get a monster, its often easier to get paid in SH.

sputum
02-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I've just completed my first 3k hands of 6 max after 100k+ micro FR.
Yes the swings are bigger (although I've not had any yet /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)
Yes you pay more rake per hand.
The 25NL 6max games at Stars seem very beatable with pretty basic poker skills. I think fish like 6-max as much as we do.
No question the 6max experience will have improved my FR game if I ever go back there.
It's a lot more fun and you get experience of pushing marginal edges and playing marginal hands in general, with fewer 'big' hands out on average the 'poker' aspect of mano y mano and the mind games thereof (or at least the perception of them /images/graemlins/wink.gif) is more satisfying imo.

Unknown Soldier
02-08-2007, 08:40 AM
just give it a go, you shouldn't need us to sell it to you.

"He who dares wins Rodders"

Rocco
02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just give it a go, you shouldn't need us to sell it to you.

"He who dares wins Rodders"

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I will give it a good try. Just wanted to know why so many 2+2ers choose 6-max instead of full ring.

Thanks for input!