PDA

View Full Version : NL25 Jack high flush...can I call the river when board pairs?

dcredskins24
02-08-2007, 06:59 AM
I know I should have just folded preflop, so disregard postflop play.

Villain has yet to get too out of hand, although he seems rather weak, passive.

Also how is play overall in the hand. Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($28.90)
SB ($24.70)
BB ($12.90)
UTG ($15.65)
UTG+1 ($24.40)
MP1 ($26.05)
MP2 ($13.55)
CO ($24.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, SB calls $2.50.

River: ($8) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $20.95</font>, Hero calls $15.95.

Final Pot: $49.90

thac
02-08-2007, 07:48 AM
River checkraises at these stakes are rarely bluffs. If you had the nut flush, a call would be marginal, but you have the 3rd nut flush and there's a lot of hands that make a boat (QT is the main one I'm thinking).. I think a fold to the river checkraise is fine. FWIW, I do bet this river for value definitely and I like the size of the bet.

JadeRedstone
02-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I bet the flop pretty much every time (even if I didn't have the flush draw)
that is the only reason to limp with rags from the button. if you get called, you have outs.

As played, I'd probably check behind the turn. Sure dude might only have trips Q's (have seen this a lot in micro levels) but usually his hand is not good enough to call a raise or too good..

thac
02-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Jade -

I'm guessing you meant check behind on the river. I disagree with this completely. Any queen is gonna call you here, as well as an AT/KT hand. Checking behind this river is worse than calling this checkraise because you miss so much value.

JadeRedstone
02-08-2007, 08:15 AM
btw, there is no hand I can put villain on that was well played by him.
let see :
flopped set : can't slow play it on such a draw heavy board. And clearly he doesn't give you credit for a flush or he wouldn't call the turn raise.

QT : why not lead the flop? Is he slow playing TPGK or is he good enough to think it might not be the good hand. If he is good enough, how come he calls the turn raise?

Nut flush : c/r allin? what about the chance of you having a boat?

I'd call this most of the time and probably see trips Q.
look, if he does beat you, paying him is an investment. We want him to think that he played the hand right and continue to play like that!

Unknown Soldier
02-08-2007, 08:42 AM
he is weak passive Jade, would he do this with a lone Q OP? If so this is a call.

dcredskins24
02-08-2007, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, there is no hand I can put villain on that was well played by him.
let see :
flopped set : can't slow play it on such a draw heavy board. And clearly he doesn't give you credit for a flush or he wouldn't call the turn raise.

QT : why not lead the flop? Is he slow playing TPGK or is he good enough to think it might not be the good hand. If he is good enough, how come he calls the turn raise?

Nut flush : c/r allin? what about the chance of you having a boat?

I'd call this most of the time and probably see trips Q.
look, if he does beat you, paying him is an investment. We want him to think that he played the hand right and continue to play like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thinking, although as soon as he pushed I thougth he might have been slowplaying. But at the same time I couldnt exactly put him on a hand.

RAHZero
02-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Raise or fold preflop. I'd usually raise this at NL 50 / 100, but NL 25 you might want to fold, especially if your postflop play is weak. May also bet the flop once in a while, but check is fine. Turn raise is good, as is the size of the river bet. River check-raise is so weird, it's hard to put him on a boat (Q5 or Q3 maybe???), possibly a higher flush that played it poorly though. Dump it to the raise, at NL 25 a weak-tighty isn't check-raising you as a bluff, and if he has a brain he's not doing it with trip Qs, because you've repped the flush all the way.

dcredskins24
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks for the help everyone.