PDA

View Full Version : NL25--KQ Top Pair Getting Called

TomBrooks
02-08-2007, 04:13 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed)

BB is 33/9. Haven't noticed anything in particular about him

Can I get myself in trouble looking to squeeze that extra buck out on the river?

Should I have bet a little bigger with the intention of folding to a raise?

SB ($2)
BB ($8.10)
Hero ($44.10)
MP ($28.90)
CO ($24)
Button ($35.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.60) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, BB calls $1.

Turn: ($3.60) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2.

River: ($7.60) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, BB...

carnivalhobo
02-08-2007, 04:20 AM
your betsizing is really terrible

in general id go 1.5 on the flop, about 2/3 on the turn and 1/2-2/3 on the river.

Genz
02-08-2007, 04:22 AM
raise more preflop. Make it $1. Rest looks fine. This kind of tiny river bet will induce a lot of raises from aggressive opponents though, because they think you are blocking. The board is dry so you are probably way ahead or way behind. I usually don't go for 3 streets of value with TP but that may be a leak. Depends on the villain a lot. If he doesn't see a lot of showdowns, you shouldn't bet here, because he will show you 2pair or better. Against a donk, this is an easy value-bet on the river (but make it bigger to prevent a bluff or check behind if you don't want to).

TomBrooks
02-08-2007, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in general id go 1.5 on the flop, about 2/3 on the turn and 1/2-2/3 on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually do bet the flop and turn about how you suggest. In this case it was HU, I had a good hand and the board was dry so I bet a little less. Still not a good idea?

degenrat
02-08-2007, 05:15 AM
that $1 bet on the river is rediculous. Bet or don't bet. Disgusting. I put in a bet of $4 i think to take money from worse kingsor other random 1 pair hands like 99 88 .

Genz
02-08-2007, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually do bet the flop and turn about how you suggest. In this case it was HU, I had a good hand and the board was dry so I bet a little less. Still not a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are betting for value here. You are not giving him odds to try to hit 2pair and there is little else that he could draw at. So bet what you think he will call when he has a worse hand. I think flop and turn are ok. You should start to worry though, what he might be calling your flop and your turn bet with on this dry flop. That's why I'd mostly just check behind on the river unless I know he is a calling station. And then there's no reason to bet so little.

degenrat
02-08-2007, 05:33 AM
i forget who said it, maybe sklansky, but they said, "know why you are betting". in this hand you made bets without having a clue why imo. that river spot is perfect for a value bet. the amount that will get called while making you the most money.

JadeRedstone
02-08-2007, 06:47 AM
I often don't bet the river here. Sure its a pretty dry board, but lets face it, our hand is not a monster and few hands can beat us.
Are you willing to call a c/r? Are you willing to put all your stack in?
He could have a weaker K but made his back door flush. He could have 2 pairs and he could even have you beat.
unless he his a well known calling station I check behind.
Might be a leak!

Upright Citizen
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I often don't bet the river here. Sure its a pretty dry board, but lets face it, our hand is not a monster and few hands can beat us.
Are you willing to call a c/r? Are you willing to put all your stack in?
He could have a weaker K but made his back door flush. He could have 2 pairs and he could even have you beat.
unless he his a well known calling station I check behind.
Might be a leak!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you've got a read that this guy is a complete psycho you should be automucking to any check raise here.

All this guy has been doing is calling. Bad players with marginal hands tend to call a lot.

Not betting this river is a major leak.

Roadstar
02-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Raising KQo UTG is not my default line here but it is ok.

If you're doing it raise to $1. I've noticed from your other posts you tend to size your raise relative to the strength of your hand - thats generally not a good idea. (unless opponents are completely clueless)

Flop bet close to pot pls. If you had a read that villain is a little bit of a calling station then I bet 1/2-2/3 PSB turn and 1/2 PSB river.

The board is quite dry that I think you're ahead enough times.

Please don't bet $1 on the river, if you're going for value bet $3.50-$4 and probably an easy fold to a check raise. You beat all reasonable Ks except KT (AK should in theory have reraised you preflop).

TomBrooks
02-09-2007, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This kind of tiny river bet will induce a lot of raises from aggressive opponents though, because they think you are blocking. Against a donk, this is an easy value-bet on the river (but make it bigger to prevent a bluff or check behind if you don't want to).

[/ QUOTE ]

After the fact, that's what I thought I might have put myself in danger of by making such a small bet.

BobAllinSki
02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Don't re-open the betting on the river for such a small return.