PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - Flopped Set, Destined to go broke here?

Entropy4
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Only been playing about a month or so, and even though I've suffered some bad beats, I'm trying to figure out which ones are just inevitable and which ones are preventable. Your thoughts on this hand would be appreciated.

.10/.25 NL 9-handed.

Villain is early position with $24 <font color="red">raises to $1.10.</font>
Hero, in middle position with $25 and 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, calls $1.10.
CO calls $1.10.
SB calls $1.10.

Flop comes K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif (Pot = $4.90).

<font color="red">SB bets $1.00.
Villain raises $3.60 to $4.60</font>
Hero calls $4.60.
CO folds.
SB folds.

Turn is 7/images/graemlins/club.gif (Pot = $15.10).

<font color="red">Villain bets $8.40.</font>
Hero calls $8.40.

River is A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (Pot = $31.90)

<font color="red">Villain goes All-in for $9.35</font>
Hero calls $9.35.

Villain shows A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and wins pot.

-------------------------

When he raised on the flop, I was pretty sure he didn't have QJ. So the thought of the ace completing the straight didn't worry me. I also figured he'd play a set of KK or TT slower (just calling the flop and not raising). The raise made me think he wanted to win it right away. I put him on AK or maybe a QQ or JJ trying to scare out a weak King. After the big bet on the turn I put him on AK. Aces didn't cross my mind, although looking back I guess it made sense. Are my reads here out of line?

I wonder if I should have raised all-in on the flop or turn? Or would it make a difference? By the time he bet on the turn I was pretty sure all my chips would get in anyway. I was actually kind of glad to see the ace, because if I was right about the AK, he'd have AK now and have to push.

Anyway... this one stung, insight is greatly appreciated.

Unknown Soldier
02-07-2007, 05:01 PM
yes and next time push the turn. Sorry, I skipped all the writing, but there are very few boards you can fold a set on and this certainly isn't one of them. After a while on this forum you'll see this as a "no brainer" despite whatever reads you have.

raistlinx
02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes and next time push the turn. Sorry, I skipped all the writing, but there are very few boards you can fold a set on and this certainly isn't one of them. After a while on this forum you'll see this as a "no brainer" despite whatever reads you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

True North
02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I would push the turn, but I don't think it would change the outcome. Villain is pot-committed at that point anyway. Note that the only way for you to win this pot is for villain to make a correct fold at some point before the river.

kyleparks
02-07-2007, 05:18 PM
you lose either way, but you played that horribly wrong. if you dont R/R flop you have to push the turn.

KurtSF
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
No, you are not destined to go broke here at all.

(1) Next time shove the turn. Maybe he'll fold and you win.

(2) Next time, maybe the A doesn't fall, just like 96% of the time you play this.

(3) And, if you shoved the turn, at least you would get all your money in good and can post this in BBV instead of paying off a lucky hand and posting it here.

I apologize if my sarcasm comes off a bit too strong; its just my way of having fun. My points stand though - play this hand faster and you will have "better" results.

Fels krone
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Flopping a set vs the big pp is one of the best ways to win, you should be trying to get his entire stack in, so dont push the flop. By the turn he was committed, so pushing there or waiting for the river was of little consequence since hes not folding AA no matter what(micro limit).

br.bm
02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
3bet flop, raise turn and swear after showdown.
This happens once or twice in a week of 4tabling

d0nkaments
02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
push turn

Entropy4
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys. Definitely learned a big lesson here.

ajmargarine
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. Definitely learned a big lesson here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Also, note there is a full ring forum, and this is where these hands should go in the future.