PDA

View Full Version : Overpair hand

allaboutmyfetti
02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Standard against an unknown or should I excercise pot control? After villian called pf raise and donked turn i figured it would all be in by the river anyways.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $93.45
CO: $101.85
Hero: $48.90
SB: $9.50
BB: $50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($8, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $14</font>, SB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif ($36, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $32.4</font>, UTG calls.

River: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($100.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $100.8)

Results:
Final pot: $100.8

jsthomas64
02-07-2007, 02:54 PM
I would say A(2-6-8)s that turned into trips has to be a definite possibility in your mind after he bet half the pot then called your ~pot size bet at the Flop.
Add to that he then led out on the turn with no reasonable flush/straight draw - the AI is probably setting yourself up for a real hit.
Do you have any information that UTG is a maniac or had you showed a bluff / been caught recently?

allaboutmyfetti
02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say A(2-6-8)s that turned into trips

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not think this means what you think it it means.

No reads hence the "unknown", obvoiusly a read on how fast he plays draws would help here.

jsthomas64
02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Sorry - this didn't come out right. Not many posts under my belt so I may have screwed up the abbreviations.
I'm just saying that your raise on the button could have easily been seen as a steal attempt that was called with a small pair - likely 8's but possibly even 6's or 2's. Then, unfortunately he possibly hits the 1/8 trips.

I'm actually curious as to my read on the situation - could you post or PM me the result of the hand (if you know it).

Cheers

barryc83
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
I play it the same against an unknown. He donks the flop for 1/2 pot and just calls a raise...to me this signals that he has a hand like A8 or a draw. Then he leads for 1/3 pot on the turn and I def think he has a draw or 8x. If you lost to a set or 86 or something I'd just chalk it up to variance IMO.

BukNaked36
02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I was all set to say you played these J's too hard, but the more I look at it, I think you did the right thing.

The limp/call preflop reads as Axs, SC, or small pair. So does he have a set or is he drawing?

The $10 turn looks like a blocking bet to draw cheaply. Coming over the top makes sense, but he only has to call $20 with a $56 pot. If he has a combo draw (A8s, 9Ts) he's getting about the right odds and makes the call.

If it was a set, it was either a clever line from a good villian, or a bad line from someone who doesn't know how to deny odds.

allaboutmyfetti
02-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies all.

results - villian shows 89 (not spades) and MHIG ... villian got a note.