CO is at seat 2 with $15.
BUTTON is at seat 3 with $53.85.
SB is at seat 4 with $25.18.
Hero is at seat 5 with $49.25.

The dealer is seat 3.

SB posts a blind of $.25.
Hero posts a blind of $.50.
CO posts a blind of $.50.

(Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.)

Pre-flop:
UTG calls for $.50.
MP1 raises $.50 to $1.
CO calls for $.50.
BUTTON folds.
SB calls for $.75.
Hero ???

So, there I am, out of position in a minraised pot with a ton of limpers. I don't really like raising here, as it'd have to be a huge raise and I'll be OOP postflop in a big pot with not quite the powerhouse I'd like to hold in that spot. I don't really like calling either, as we'll be seeing the flop with 5 people then, which isn't exactly perfect for AQo. I don't like folding either, obviously.

So I don't like any of my three options. What to do?

WarhammerIIC
02-07-2007, 12:01 PM
You're not folding. If you fold, that's just bad, bad, bad. I usually mix it up in this situation with AQo. I hate the hand, especially out of position, so I'm more likely to call knowing that I'm going to have to really like the flop to continue. If I've seen the min-raiser fold to a re-raise in this situation before, I'd be more inclined to raise... especially if the table is passive and folding to most raises.

RAHZero
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
RAISE. Pretty good spot to squeeze the field here. Make it like $6 or so, and play pokah after the flop if you get any callers.

KurtSF
02-07-2007, 12:29 PM
IMHO calling is the worst of the three options. I would hate to be in that position with any flop short of AQx, and that's not that likely.

Folding is next. Not ideal, but reasonable. There are better spots.

Best is raising. By a lot I think. Make these guys define their hands, narrow the field, start a nice pot. Make it $5 and see what happens.

WarhammerIIC
02-07-2007, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best is raising. By a lot I think. Make these guys define their hands, narrow the field, start a nice pot. Make it $5 and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does AQo really want a "nice" pot? Say they raise to $5 and get called by one or two opponents. You now have a pretty large pot that you're going to have to put a lot of money in to protect (if you choose to do so) or C-Bet. I'm not saying raising is bad, because it's very likely the best option, but I don't think the reason should be to build a pot. The reason should be to win right now and have some value as a backup if called. AQo OOP is just asking for trouble (see the other hand posted today).

KurtSF
02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, you're right. The big bets you put in will likely take it down pre-flop or on the flop, and that's why you raise.

Unknown Soldier
02-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Kurt, i'm sorry, but calling is >>>>>>>>>> folding. Folding here is just ridiculous. Calling isn't that bad. You are oop, but most of the time I like a raise here wash away all the 64s type hands. Makes the hand easier to play if you know what you are up against.