PDA

View Full Version : NL 25, Reverse implied odds hand

lamathica
02-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Villain (49/31/4) was bluffing quite frequently and trying to antagonize people throughout the session when they folded.
My question is if I put villain on a J, is calling down the most profitable play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($33.50)
MP ($13.85)
CO ($53.35)
Button ($23.55)
SB ($8.90)
Hero ($26.30)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($6) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($12) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10.25</font>, Hero

thac
02-07-2007, 04:57 AM
You're not looking to hit a top pair hand here, I would check/call the flop, and see how he reacts on the turn. I probably shut down to a big bet though.. you can find a lot better spots against a guy playing 40% of his hands.

flo
02-07-2007, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can find a lot better spots against a guy playing 40% of his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like a PSB river call with a hand as weak as yours.

gir
02-07-2007, 07:07 AM
I fold turn. Your hand is junk.

ama0330
02-07-2007, 07:33 AM
The turn call is thin, but the river fold is mandatory. I think he has probably caught some odd kind of 2pr or is donkplaying a set.

FWIW the best way to play against these people is to just go absolutely [censored] mad, get right in their face and put them to the test every time. Almost all maniacs at these levels are really poor players who have no idea what they are doing and just betbetbet. I tried moving down to NL25 and playing back at them, relentlessly 3bet overbetting them preflop and shoving over their turnbets. Not only does it fold them out, it really antagonises them and they start to play back at you with really mediocre holdings.

Note that this is not at all recommended because its extremely high variance, but what I'm saying is that there are two ways to play back at someone like this - tighten up and play for value, which is what I would recommend you do, or take it to the next level and go batshit insane, which I find is also successful - but very very high variance. Whats happening in this hand is halfway between the two - calling light in an effort to showdown a hand, but just getting steamrolled but the big bets.

The tight way says easy turn fold. The aggro way says shove over the turn bet and put him to the test. But calling down like this is no good.