PDA

View Full Version : Tell me how to . . .

Borodog
02-07-2007, 12:49 AM
This came about from a discussion about teaching and being able to clearly present complex topics in a simple, understandable way.

The premise: Describe using only words (i.e. no pictures or diagrams) how to do something physical. Your description should be clear enough that readers can actually accomplish the task in question if they've never done it before. Hence, it would be best to choose something unusual.

The Task
Take out a pencil and a blank piece of paper. On the paper draw 3 dots spaced evenly around the paper a good distance apart. Label them A, B, and C. Somewhere near the center of the triangle formed by ABC, draw a 4th dot, and label it P. lightly sketch 3 straight lines connecting each of A, B and C to point P. Call them "edge lines". From each of the 3 points A, B, and C, lightly sketch two more straight lines, one on either side of the edge line that connects that point to point P. Each of these lines should extend until it touches the edge line that connects point P to the dot on that side. Place these lines so that they connect to the edge line about an inch or two from point P. If you rotate the paper so that each of the points A, B, and C are at the bottom of the page, the line to the right of the bottom-most edge line should connect to the line above the left most edge line, and the line to the left of the bottom-most edge-line should connect to the line above the right most edge-line. You will have lightly sketched 9 total lines that have 7 intersections (apart from the points A, B, C). Starting from the points A, B, and C _erase_ the lines you have draw _until_ you reach the point where they intersect another line. Darken in all remaining lines.

What have you done?

Bonus points: Post your results.

You don't have to not tell what your thing is beforehand. I just thought it would be interesting in this case.

If there is enough response, I'll be doing more myself, as I find this to be a really interesting exercise.

limon
02-07-2007, 01:36 AM
i dont think anyone owns pencil and paper anymore. im gonna get some tomorrow so i can try this.

Farfenugen
02-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Its a 3D looking box.

I don't get it.

RivaLiva
02-07-2007, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Place these lines so that they connect to the edge line about an inch or two from point P. If you rotate the paper so that each of the points A, B, and C are at the bottom of the page, the line to the right of the bottom-most edge line should connect to the line above the left most edge line, and the line to the left of the bottom-most edge-line should connect to the line above the right most edge-line. You will have lightly sketched 9 total lines that have 7 intersections (apart from the points A, B, C). Starting from the points A, B, and C _erase_ the lines you have draw _until_ you reach the point where they intersect another line. Darken in all remaining lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got lost here

tshort
02-07-2007, 04:35 AM
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8101/perspectivecubeqh4.jpg

I think your directions could be improved by introducing points d, e, and f that are halfway points between ap, bp, and cp.

Borodog
02-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Sorry I let this thread drop; I got slammed with class stuff the last couple of days.

Farfenugen,

It is a 3-D looking box. This is how you draw rectangular objects in 3 point perspective, with all lines receding to the three vanishing points. It was something that I figured the majority of people had never done before, and hence would not "get" ahead of time, enabling them to cheat their way through the task rather than rely on the only the written directions.

tshort,

Excellent job. I think in retrospect that the directions were flawed by the "Cut the blue wire . . . BUT NOT BEFORE CUTTING THE GREEN WIRE!" effect. That happened because I had to edit the original post, realizing that I had neglected to make clear that the rear edges of the box had to actually connect to each other. Still, I'm glad the directions could be followed.

I'd still like to see others, if someone can come up with a good one.

7ontheline
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Was the point of this to test the reader or the instructor? The instructions were very badly written, for the reasons stated above. Clear, easy-to-follow instructions would present steps in order. These steps required you to read many steps in advance to do earlier ones correctly.

Borodog
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was the point of this to test the reader or the instructor? The instructions were very badly written, for the reasons stated above. Clear, easy-to-follow instructions would present steps in order. These steps required you to read many steps in advance to do earlier ones correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, anything like this is a test of both the reader and the writer. No matter how clearly complex topics are presented, some people cannot get them. As I've stated, the example in the OP was not perfect, but I'm glad they were at least comprehensible. I wouldn't say they were "very badly written," but perhaps I'm wrong.

ohgeetee
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I think a large gap in the instructions assumes that people will draw the lines left and right of A B and C to the same intersection on lines PA PB and PC. I'm not sure where in the directions it says these must align, but if they don't its certainly not a box.

This shouldn't have been such a difficult task for you, especially considering there is already a notation for line drawing that is very easy to grasp without explanation(the PA PB and PC I used is an example of this).

Draw 3 dots spaced evenly around the paper a good distance apart. Label them A, B, and C.

Draw a dot in the center of the imaginary triangle ABC, Label it P.

Connect A to P, B to P and C to P, making lines AP BP and CP.

Add a dot 1 - 2 inches from P on each line AP BP and CP, Label them D, E, and F respectively.

Create lines AE AF BD BF CD and CE.

Starting at each point A B and C, erase lines until you reach an intersection. This would remove lines AD BE and CF, as well as the lines beside that reach unlabeled intersections.

CrazyEyez
02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Draw 3 dots spaced evenly around the paper a good distance apart. Label them A, B, and C.

Draw a dot in the center of the imaginary triangle ABC, Label it P.

Connect A to P, B to P and C to P, making lines AP BP and CP.

Add a dot 1 - 2 inches from P on each line AP BP and CP, Label them D, E, and F respectively.

Create lines AE AF BD BF CD and CE.

Starting at each point A B and C, erase lines until you reach an intersection. This would remove lines AD BE and CF, as well as the lines beside that reach unlabeled intersections.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's way more clear.

Borodog - I got the box, but this was confusing as all hell:

If you rotate the paper so that each of the points A, B, and C are at the bottom of the page, the line to the right of the bottom-most edge line should connect to the line above the left most edge line, and the line to the left of the bottom-most edge-line should connect to the line above the right most edge-line.

Dominic
02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I can make a 3D looking box a lot easier than that!

Draw a rectangle.
Make a point in the middle of the 1st rectangle. Using that point as a corner of a second rectangle, draw another rectangle the same size as the first.
Connect the corners of the first rectangle to the corresponding corners of the second one. Viola! You have a 3D box.

Borodog
02-12-2007, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can make a 3D looking box a lot easier than that!

Draw a rectangle.
Make a point in the middle of the 1st rectangle. Using that point as a corner of a second rectangle, draw another rectangle the same size as the first.
Connect the corners of the first rectangle to the corresponding corners of the second one. Viola! You have a 3D box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but yours is not in perspective.

Interestingly, had you said this:

Draw a rectangle.
Make a point in the middle of the 1st rectangle. Using that point as a corner of a second rectangle, draw another rectangle larger than the first, but with the same aspect ratio and orientation.

You'd have a box drawn using single point perspective.