PDA

View Full Version : Which restaurant at the Venetian is better?

NajdorfDefense
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Here are your choices:
Valentino
Postrio
Pinot Brasserie
Bouchon
AquaKnox.

Pls respond if you've eaten at any of them, with your opinion. I have one open night left to book, and it will be one of those 5.

Dominic
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Valentino - one of the best in town
Postrio - haven't eaten there
Pinot - damn good
Bouchon - excellent, one of my favorites
Aquaknox - haven't eaten there

W. Deranged
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Postrio is a fun place for lunch, but I would not say that it is anything all that great, and I doubt I'd make it a "last dinner." I also wouldn't imagine it'd be a great dinner spot considering the location within the "Shoppes" (which actually is part of what makes it a good lunch place, in my opinion).

Bouchon is quite fun and I really enjoy French Bistro food. It is obviously not going to be quite on par with Keller's mainstay places, but it will be good certainly. It's a fun place for groups, I think, with the only real downside being that it's in a pretty odd location that's pretty far removed from the excitement.

Chimp
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Bouchon. Not even close, especially if you're a food snob like me. The atmosphere is just OK, but the food is among the best in Vegas.

NajdorfDefense
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pinot - damn good

[/ QUOTE ]

Dom, that's not helping, you gotta narrow it down! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've heard good things about Pinot and Bouchon. And I am a food snob. Is there a definitive winner, or whatever has the time that fits our schedule more?

cbloom
02-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I've only been to Bouchon but it's the only one I've ever had any interest in going to. The only expensive restaurant in Vegas that I'd go to today would be the Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

MrMon
02-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Valentino has the highest rating on Gayot, but it's only a 16/20. That's very good, but it's not the stratosphere rating that some Vegas restaurants hit.

Dominic
02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pinot - damn good

[/ QUOTE ]

Dom, that's not helping, you gotta narrow it down! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've heard good things about Pinot and Bouchon. And I am a food snob. Is there a definitive winner, or whatever has the time that fits our schedule more?

[/ QUOTE ]

both Bouchon and Pinot are nice - but still relatively casual compared to Valentino. I prefer Bouchon because it's a fantastic French Bistro just like you would go to in Paris. Great food, great atmosphere, fun and inviting...Pinot is very nice and quite good, but there's nothing really that different about it.

IHateKeithSmart
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Naj:

Been to Valentino, Pinot, and Aquaknox. I rate Valentino tops. Pinot was pretty good, but not great. Aquaknox was a cool place with good ambiance/food, but about half of my party (15-20 people total) got food poisoning, so that's a definite strike.

daryn
02-06-2007, 04:08 PM
why was the best restaurant left off the list? delmonico baby

El Diablo
02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
d,

I'm gonna take a wild stab and guess that he has already eaten there this trip.

firstyearclay
02-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Clearly: Zeffirino's (http://www.venetian.com/dining/dining.cfm?ID=7)

NajdorfDefense
02-06-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why was the best restaurant left off the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you offer an opinion on one of the other five?

Okay, Valentino it is, so I'll be crossing that and Robuchon off my list that week. Anyplace Forbes names it's #1 restaurant I'm willing to give a shot.

MrMon
02-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Just remember, you're eathing at the "cheap" Robuchon. You still have to step up to the big one right next door. (Same kitchen though.) Min $600 for two at The Mansion.

El Diablo
02-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Mon,

I'm hoping to hit the Mansion for the full course sometime in the next year or so.

gusmahler
02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Valentino has the highest rating on Gayot, but it's only a 16/20. That's very good, but it's not the stratosphere rating that some Vegas restaurants hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Zagat (ratings are out of 30)

Delmonico (26)
Bouchon (24)
Valentino (24)
AquaKnox (24)
Postrio (23)
Lutece (23)
Zeffrino (22)
Pinot Brasserie (20)

MrMon
02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mon,

I'm hoping to hit the Mansion for the full course sometime in the next year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still owe you the trip report from the "mini". First anniversary of that is coming up, I think I'll write my reflections then. I'll have to read a lot of Bourdain between then and now to get in my foodie-writer mode. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
02-06-2007, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why was the best restaurant left off the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you offer an opinion on one of the other five?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have never been to any of them, so my advice is worthless. i just wanted to express my love for delmonico

NajdorfDefense
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just remember, you're eathing at the "cheap" Robuchon. You still have to step up to the big one right next door. (Same kitchen though.) Min $600 for two at The Mansion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm eating at the 'big' one. Just typing out 'The Mansion' sounded stupid, but I guess it's necessary. FWIW, my confirm says "Joel Robuchon". Did they screw up?
http://www.mgmgrand.com/dining/joel-robuchon-at-the-mansion-french-restaurant.aspx

This is the 'other' one:
http://www.mgmgrand.com/dining/atelier-joel-robuchon-french-restaurant.aspx

edit: I'll never understand why some people feel the need to condescendingly tell others they're eating at the 'mini' Robuchon, when they have no idea.

El Diablo
02-06-2007, 06:29 PM
ND,

I bet Mon was OK taking a little rib at you because he knows what a high-flying finance player you are who spends with reckless abandon. I sincerely doubt he would say anything like that to a nice midwestern couple who had saved up for a special meal.

Also, are you still planning on sticking with the "mini" menu at the Mansion or going for the real meal?

MrMon
02-06-2007, 06:52 PM
My mistake. I confused you with another poster who mentioned Atelier. Sorry about that.

El Diablo
02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Mon,

Don't worry, you were right, he is getting the MINI MENU there, unless of course we can goad him into the real one.

Bicycles_Biatch
02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
none of them... go to Del Friscos

cbloom
02-06-2007, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm eating at the 'big' one. Just typing out 'The Mansion' sounded stupid, but I guess it's necessary. FWIW, my confirm says "Joel Robuchon". Did they screw up?
http://www.mgmgrand.com/dining/joel-robuchon-at-the-mansion-french-restaurant.aspx

This is the 'other' one:
http://www.mgmgrand.com/dining/atelier-joel-robuchon-french-restaurant.aspx

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, those web sites are so cheesy, it's a huge turn off. I hope it doesn't look like that in real life. So many Vegas restaurants are stuck in the 1950's overstuffed gold-plated idea of "luxury" that only pimps and rappers subscribe to these days.

NajdorfDefense
02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My mistake. I confused you with another poster who mentioned Atelier. Sorry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem, mistakes happen.

ElD, I don't think I can eat 16 courses, I am literally afraid I would pull a 'Meaning of Life' all over the place. Esp since I'll be drinking. I wish I could.

Besides, if I love it, it just gives me an excuse to go back there sooner and really go all out, perhaps if I don't eat for 24 hours...

MrMon
02-08-2007, 03:10 AM
This was my strategy exactly. We went for the 5-course as well, and I don't regret it one bit. I saw at least two couples struggling with the 16, even if they are small portions, it's better to be a little cautious. We plan on going for the 16 sometime in the future.

I have one suggestion for you. Of course the question of wine will come up, and there is an option that is not on the menu. When the sommelier asks what you would like, ask him if he could match each course with a different wine. (You can also say how many glasses you want if you don't necessarily want that much wine.) Give him discretion to match how he sees fit. Adds a bit to the bill, but it's not overwhelming, and it adds a whole lot to the meal. He'll make some very interesting choices, and they won't be what you would expect, but they will be very good.

NajdorfDefense
02-08-2007, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ND,

I bet Mon was OK taking a little rib at you because he knows what a high-flying finance player you are who spends with reckless abandon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted several million shares today in a proxy fight and felt mega-balla.

For about 5 seconds.

JMP300z
02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Why has noone mentioned the Grand lux, ive eaten there every day for a whole week.

-JP

Jihad
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Wow, so am I wrong to assume that I must have just had a bad experience at Bouchon's? I was able to get the private table for about 14 in a very personal room (it was just the right size for our one large table), making the atmosphere very nice, and the service was good, but the food was just plain dull. I was expecting much better. I had the Foie Gras to start and it was very uncreative, basically just the standard waxed in patte with bread sticks. My lamb, if I'm remembering my choice correctly, was again very standard, and not at all up to my expectations.

-Jihad

Duke
02-08-2007, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem, mistakes happen.

ElD, I don't think I can eat 16 courses, I am literally afraid I would pull a 'Meaning of Life' all over the place. Esp since I'll be drinking. I wish I could.

Besides, if I love it, it just gives me an excuse to go back there sooner and really go all out, perhaps if I don't eat for 24 hours...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume that each course in a 16 course meal will be ridiculously small. This reminds me of the joke about cutting a pizza into 6 pieces because you don't think that you can finish 8.

As for the Meaning of Life, well, just skip the wafer thin mint.